Thread: ParaMilitary vs. ParaMilitary 2

Spyderco Forum Registered User

ParaMilitary vs. ParaMilitary 2

Any opinions? If the cost was not a factor (within $5) of each other. Which one would you pick and why?

I see that the blade is slightly thicker on the original, but slightly longer on the 2. Along with a slightly different handle shape.

But not being able to handle either, give me some advise.

Thanks & Cheers, -j

Spyderco Forum Registered User michaelm466's Avatar
    I have the regular para 1 and s90v para two, I definitely prefer the para 2, the blade thickness difference is barely perceptible, while the extra length makes the para 2 look a lot better with the long handle. The para 2 doesn't have that corner of the tang that sticks out when the blade is closed. Another plus is that the para 2 has a four position clip.
    Southfork, Mule Team K390, Military CPM-M4/Ti, Military CTS-XHP, Military CF/M390, Para-Military 2 CPM-S90V, Para-Military 2 CTS-20CP, Para-Military 2 CTS-204P, Para-Military 2 M390, Para-Military 2 CTS-XHP, Para-Military 2 CPM-S35VN, Manix 2 XL, Manix 2 CPM-S30V/Blue G10, Manix 2 CTS-BD30P, Manix 2 CTS-XHP, Manix 2 CPM-M4, Southard, Gayle Bradley, Superhawk, Forum Native CPM-S110V, Endura Super Blue, Pacific Salt, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Ladybug ZDP-189, Bug

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    There are people who prefer the 1 but most of those are Para die-hards with specific gripes and loves. Considering Sal and Eric redesigned the Para by their criteria and some user feedback my guess is most (not all) would appreciate it more.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Spyderco Forum Registered User tanrichguy's Avatar
    The Para 2 has been my número uno EDC knife since last summer and I don't see that changing anytime soon. So in Internet speak that I just learned from some kids today, it 'pwns' the Para 1. (you can substitute dominates for pwns)
    Spyderco C60P Massad Ayoob avatar courtesy of Dialex.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Leatherneck's Avatar
    I had a Para 2 for a week and sold it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with it but I prefer the original and still have 2. Not sure if I am lucky, but both my CPMD2 and Digicam originals are smoother opening/closing and the locks are smoother. I do plan to pickup another 2 in something besides black when available.
    USMC RETIRED

Spyderco Forum Registered User MountainManJim's Avatar
    Para 2 is a great example of improving an already great design ... See my signature.

Jim
    I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5

Ezekiel 4:12

Spyderco Forum Registered User David Lowry's Avatar
    I'm one of the die hard Paramilitary 1 lovers. I don't want anything to do with the Para 2. I'm sure it's a great knife but I have no interest in it.

For me, I never had a problem with the tang sticking up out of the handle. I didn't need the 4 way clip. To me the hourglass clip looks like it was added at the last minute and looks bad. I also have no idea why there is such a huge lanyard hole.

I guess as Sal says "all good just different". For me the Para 1 will always be the Paramlitary. The Para 2 is not even a Paramilitary (for me).

I feel the same about the Manix and the Manix 2. The Manix 2 is NOT a Manix. It's an entirely different animal.
    - - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." — Dr. Seuss

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I initially thought i would hate tip down with the Paramilitary, but because of the length of the handle (just like with the Military and Police) i don't think i'd want tip up anyways. The spydie drop has become second nature with opening this knife. The blade does get in the way of getting into my right front pocket, and i really hate that, but otherwise because of the extra overall length of both the handle and blade on the Para 2 i'm not sure i'll buy one. If i didn't have to deal with a 3 inch blade law, i would be very very interested in a Para 2, but i don't think the improvements to the rest of the knife are enough to push me to buy one to replace my Para.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User catamount's Avatar
    Negative posts I've seen about the Para 2 tend to be from Para 1 fans. Most others range from positive to raving about it. With good reason, IMO.
    Last edited by catamount; 01-31-2011 at 05:29 AM.
    Tom

http://spydercovt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sequimite View Post
    I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
    Junior avatar courtesy of dialex

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChrisM's Avatar
    I've been on and off with the Para1 for two years and have had 4 of them now. The Para2 definitely looks more streamlined and refined but I like the more rugged (to me) look with the exposed tang, heavy duty clip, pronounced pinky swell, and stubby blade of the Para1. The handle is perfect for me and the tang doesn't brother me at all. I like that that part of the blade and hole stick out that far, easy to grab and spyder drop. Tip down is fine but the lefty option of the 2 is a pro for me. The new pivot bushing looks like it might solve the only real gripe I had with the original pivot loosening from it's sweet spot. I'd still pick the 1. I may eventually get a P2 but it hasn't been on my wanted list. I would easily click add to cart if it was orange though.
    Last edited by ChrisM; 01-31-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Next question: say I do deciede on the Para I, I see my knife shore has one in D2 steel. How would this perform next to the S30V?

Get the D2. My D2 Para1 held an edge better and got sharper than my current Para2. Not by much but enough for me to notice. D2 is not stainless but I never had any issues with rust. The D2 Para1 was less expensive that the S30V ones and was a limited run. If you don't like it you would be able to sell it very quickly. Not sure what you would be paying for it but they are disco'd now and in high demand.

I love my Para2 but wish I hadn't sold my D2 Para. I doubt you'll regret buying it.

As you have witnessed here people like both knives. The D2 is a really nice steel. Many would prefer it over s30v, so that might be a deal breaker. I myself really like the P2 –although I have never owned a P1.

David L. posted above that the P1 and P2 are as different to one another as the Mini-Manix is to the Manix-2. I understand that sentiment very well. It would be nice to handle both Paras to see which one of them suits you best.