Thread: Sharpmaker Grit Question

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Sharpmaker Grit Question

Can anyone tell me approximately what grit the different rods are on the sharpmaker? Might pick one up.

This is what I was thinking...

Diamond - 220
    Medium - 600
    Fine - 1200
    Ultra - 2000

That sound about right?

Spyderco Forum Registered User bh49's Avatar
    I saw something similar to these numbers on BF a while ago and it sound about right. No idea where this information come from, I beleive that Spyderco never commented on sharpmaker grits.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell
    Any knife without Spyderhole is defective.
    My top choices Native5, G10/VG10 Caly 3.5/3 & C83 Persian Black micarta/bolsters

Quote Originally Posted by bh49 View Post
    I saw something similar to these numbers on BF a while ago and it sound about right. No idea where this information come from, I beleive that Spyderco never commented on sharpmaker grits.
    Yah, I can't find any official numbers anywhere. I may just be missing them or something. Ha, I believe I did also find these numbers on BF.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure I saw 600, 1200, and 2000 a couple other places. I'm not sure about the diamond.

Aren't the grit numbers from using stones? I think the numbers for the ceramic stones (fine and ultra fine) are correlated numbers.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Peter1960's Avatar
    That is what Sal wrote:

Sal Glesser - 2007/12/30
    ... All of the ceramics use the same micron size (15-25). the different grits are created by different carriers, different firing techniques and diamond surface grinding.
    Sal Glesser - 2007/12/31
    ... Most abrasives are measured by the grit size used in the matrix. Our ceramic doesn 't work that way. Grit size is constant.

We've tried to compare scratch patterns as Cliff mentioned and this is probably the closest, but nothing that we can say "This is blah blah". Then the Japanese water stones jump into the equation and suddenly there is whole new set of numbers.

So where we end up is:

Our diamonds are a 400 mesh (measureable). (600 on the Duckfoot)

Our gray stone is "medium". (Same material as fine but different carriers and heat treat).

Our fine stone is fine.

Our extra fine is a surface ground fine.
    And he knows his products
    Peter - member of Spydiewiki.com group

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
    Spyderco's company motto

Thanks for the posts.

I guess I was just trying to figure out what the equivalents would be. I saw that they don't really "rate" them as far as grits goes. I was curious to compare the numbers to the diamonds I'm currently using.