Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chat room

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Chat room

Has anyone ever suggested a chat room in addition to the forum? That may be expensive to set up. I have no idea.

Jack
    My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    I like the idea....don't know the cost involved either....but I'll say this...it would be very hard to monitor...Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    If Spyderco is at all interested, I work part time for a software developer who does these kinds of integrations.

This is our site. http://www.integration4us.com/

And this is a site we did. http://www.dumagueteshootists.com/members/home
    I always heard that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, but then you catch even more flies with poop

http://sharpthings.net/chat

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45696

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Snubnose View Post
    I like the idea....don't know the cost involved either....but I'll say this...it would be very hard to monitor...Doc
    What do you mean my monitor? Do you mean language, behavior, etc.? I've seen a couple of threads that became somewhat heated between 2 or more people. Nothing really bad though.

Jack
    My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Maybe he means spelling.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User cosmo7809's Avatar
    I thought he meant that its going to be hard to monitor in the sense that there are going to be some good discussions and he wants to be part of them just like in the forum only on the forum you can see them at all times when in chat you have to be there right then and there.

......I think

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    What Cosmo said.....and spelleng!....Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    That would be pretty sweet. I love it when forums have the chat functionality.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Creepo's Avatar
    +1
    I'd be killing time there all day long.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Samwise's Avatar
    We could set up an IRC channel. They're free and relatively simple to use.
    Spydie Count:

Vics: Super Tinker, Farmer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
    Really?

I've seen some flashchat type setups that aren't too bad.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Samwise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Really?

I've seen some flashchat type setups that aren't too bad.
    We used to have a flashchat system on this other website I frequent. It got hax'd a lot (which was why we ditched it).
    Spydie Count:

Vics: Super Tinker, Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
    Unless Spyderco is willing to produce a chat feature, then IRC is probably the best bet. Though the simplicity of use is a very vaque term, I mean theres some pretty old folk here. I guess someone would need to make a very detailed how-to guide for it then.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepo View Post
    Unless Spyderco is willing to produce a chat feature, then IRC is probably the best bet. Though the simplicity of use is a very vaque term, I mean theres some pretty old folk here. I guess someone would need to make a very detailed how-to guide for it then.

Creepo,
    I'm pretty sure I'm one of the "pretty old folk here" that you referred to. Rest assurred I took no offense. Pretty proud of it to be honest. I do remember when my office got it's first computer to be shared by everyone who had the need. Now one is on everyone's desk. I hope the very detailed how-to guide has lots of pictures so we will understand the lessons. Maybe the print should be large enough for us to see also and please no big words. Your concern for the aged is admirable and all of us at the home appreciate it.

This post was meant in fun. I did wonder how old you are though. When I was in the Air Force I was 29 the first time one of the "kids" in my shop called me one of the older guys. Hell, I still feel 23 years old. I'll be looking forward to the how-to publication.

All in fun,
    Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User c.joe's Avatar
    I took the liberty in making a quick #Spyderco channel using Mibbit.

http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=6...el=%23spyderco

Click that to join the chat room. Enter your nick name and you're good to go!

If you have an IRC client, you can add irc.mibbit.com port 6667 and connect to #Spyderco.

If someone has anything better don't be afraid to post it!
    Last edited by c.joe; 10-02-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by c.joe View Post
    I took the liberty in making a quick #Spyderco channel using Mibbit.

http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=6...el=%23spyderco

Click that to join the chat room. Enter your nick name and you're good to go!

If you have an IRC client, you can add irc.mibbit.com port 6667 and connect to #Spyderco.

If someone has anything better don't be afraid to post it!
    Very cool. Looking forward to using this.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Creepo,
    I'm pretty sure I'm one of the "pretty old folk here" that you referred to. Rest assurred I took no offense. Pretty proud of it to be honest. I do remember when my office got it's first computer to be shared by everyone who had the need. Now one is on everyone's desk. I hope the very detailed how-to guide has lots of pictures so we will understand the lessons. Maybe the print should be large enough for us to see also and please no big words. Your concern for the aged is admirable and all of us at the home appreciate it.

This post was meant in fun. I did wonder how old you are though. When I was in the Air Force I was 29 the first time one of the "kids" in my shop called me one of the older guys. Hell, I still feel 23 years old. I'll be looking forward to the how-to publication.

All in fun,
    Jack
    I am 20 myself, and I too meant no disrespect with my post. I mean we all love you guys! You're an essential part of the community here and it just wouldn't be the same without you.
    The basic jist of IRC is pretty simple, most of the clients have a text based user interface and if you want to do more, it's a learning process, I'm still learning myself.

I just got off a chat room with cjoe that he set up. It works good. Anyone interested should try it.

Jack

The channel works fine, we just need more people.
    I haven't used Mibbit before but it is a very easy to use IRC client, and it's browser based so you don't need a separate program.
    I still prefer to use a different one that I use for my other IRC channels.
    So I'll be lurking there from now on as well, I'll propably be AFK (away from keyboard) a lot though.

For all the people popping on the channel:
    Unless you just wanted to try how it works, IRC doesn't take a whole lot of system resources so you can just leave it on, even if you don't read and write on there all the time. Just check every now and then in case someone else is there or is chatting.
    This is how IRC basically works, people just stay logged in and may respond later.
    The more people we have, the more people will join.