Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Released! Edge Angle Guide!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Well said cosmo7809, now...

How do you use this?
    My real name is Wayne

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Nothing is ruined. We still have to run our test. We'll find a more effective way to do this on Monday. Far better than having an ongoing disagreement until Monday.

The shop is closed until Monday.

sal
    It seems to me that the best path at this point is to take Sal's cue and put this back on the high road by giving the discussion a rest until Monday as well.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gtrtech's Avatar
    I hope everything gets worked out, cause I'd like to buy one.
    The war is coming to the streets of America and if you are not keeping and bearing and practicing with your arms then you will be helpless and you will be the victim of evil.
    "Ted Nugent"

Club 71

Spyderco Forum Registered User Bluntrauma's Avatar
    Well when it is all worked out I would like to get one. Hopefully there will be an agreement reached that will be suitable to all who want to purchase. Thanks sal for being on top of the situation.
    Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
    liveit_loud on Ebay.

Thanx much for your kind understanding and cooperation.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User cougar337's Avatar
    I already had my order in before they were pulled. I am not worried and I know Sal and crew will work out out next week. I am just happy they ended up making and offering these to us, I wasn't concerned in the least on the pricing + shipping but I have full confidence they will work it out of all of us and we will still have an awesome Edge Angle Guide.

Thanks and hats off to you Sal for hearing the people's voices and taking steps to make it work as best as you can.
    - Ian
    See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!

Spyderco Forum Registered User defenestrate's Avatar
    Kristi, Sal, and anyone else connected to the SFO reading this:
    Thanks for the offer - I am looking forward to grabbing one of these gauges soon (I will probably just order it along with a couple of other things personally as I almost always order enough to keep the per-item shipping low). I am confident that a way or two can be found that will work for people one way or another. I personally think it's always cool when the outlet offers products at a reasonable price - the Mule project, forum knives, Swicks and car stickers are all items that I have been both pleased to be able to acquire and pleased with the value for money when ordering from the SFO. I feel that the angle gauge could help me out particularly with non- blades I might be sharpening or reprofiling as the standard SM204 angles have worked well for most of your offerings.

Everyone else-
    I can certainly empathize with folks who in particular end up having to ship overseas and that such shipping can be expensive. That said, let's try to keep discussion civil. Clearly as Sal has noted, there is interest in reconsidering the offer with the opinions of the afis here in mind. Being that we are the obvious market for a trial run of angle gauges, I think that most of us would appreciate that these SFO items are really made for us - do you know any other companies who do that on a nearly constant basis (I can't think of a recent quarter where there hasn't been something cool that are not regular production runs and we end up benefitting in particular because we are the folks paying attention to this stuff - just as we benefit from sprint runs and first shipping batches of items that we hear about first. I for one think that's pretty friggin' cool and hope for many more years of being able to feel like we have our fingers on the pulse, so to speak.
    I don't get mad. I get..Stabby.
    -Fat Tony

I can't wait to see what they look like!

Google cache saved the picture of it in case anyone didn't get a chance to see it before it was pulled.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...s&client=opera

For some reason I thought that this design would make a great pull-through sharpener. I could just imagine there being pre-set ceramic stones in between those edges for a quick in-field touchup. Granted, the current run would need to be trashed and a redesign would be in order (and I doubt Spyderco would be willing to do that at this stage). As for the current product, I'm not sure what I'd do with the ability to measure the angle of my knife. With all due respect, I don't think I would buy one due to a lack of knowledge as well as a lack of knives that would warrant this much attention to detail in the sharpening process.

Having said that, I am very happy that Spyderco is willing to test run new products and designs that they believe will appear to their core users.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    I'm no sharpening fiend or steeljunkie but this edge angle guide could still be quite handy for me. It would take the guesswork out of identifying the existing angle on a new knife that needs its first sharpening session. I could save some time and frustrations. I hope the trial run gets back online.

Wouter

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Blonde View Post
    I'm no sharpening fiend or steeljunkie but this edge angle guide could still be quite handy for me. It would take the guesswork out of identifying the existing angle on a new knife that needs its first sharpening session. I could save some time and frustrations. I hope the trial run gets back online.

Wouter
    Well said Mr Blonde.

This would be a very useful tool for me as well. I am just awful at sharpening even with the sharpie trick. My eyes just aren't what they used to be.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
    liveit_loud on Ebay.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    I've only been on this forum a couple of months or so. This thread really got wierd but I'm glad to see that everyone seems to be friends again.

Sal,
    I have an idea for your edge angle guide test that will make everyone happy that purchases a guide. Give them a knife of their choice for free. Oh yeah, no shipping either. Kidding of course. I'd like to be one of the ones to get the guide.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User A-Knife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo7809 View Post
    Ditto!
    Ditto, ditto.

I would love to have one. Look forward to Sal's ideas on this on Monday. See... Spyderco , a great company, always finds a way.

Well, almost, I still want a BiFold too....

André

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zenith's Avatar
    Damn I just wish I could see how the thing looked. A well. Hope it gets sorted and we can get it. NEW TOYS!
    "If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
    "the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
    If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
    Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Damn I just wish I could see how the thing looked. A well. Hope it gets sorted and we can get it. NEW TOYS!
    Zenith it looked just like this.....

[IMG][/IMG]

liveit_loud on Ebay.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zenith's Avatar
    Bluntrauma

Thank you. Looks handy and once again...new toys!
    "If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
    "the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
    If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
    Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/

Spyderco Forum Registered User TBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    We pulled it for now.

sal
    Hi Sal,

Because of the S&H costs? I sent Kristi an email asking for one to be shipped when my Bob T. ships, so the individual shipping cost isn't a player for me. Or is there some technical issue with the gage?
    : Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189 (EDC), Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Southard Black Blade, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. Spydie Fanatic #179

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChrisR's Avatar
    I think it was purely down to the furor caused by the international shipping ... so Sal said he'd pull it and then sort out something to make it a bit fairer on the international guys
    My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades

Spyderco Forum Registered User Drahkis's Avatar
    So im going on my honeymoon in 2 days to Denver CO, and I'm going to try and make it to the SFO.
    So Sal, any chance have them for sale at the store late this week? I would love to be able to get one while im there!