Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Released! Edge Angle Guide!

Spyderco Forum Registered User cosmo7809's Avatar
    Heres my thing.. Spyderco does not come up with a number in their head to charge for shipping. They charge what the shipper charges. Just like thousands of other websites on the internet. Yes, some choose to use USPS which is cheaper but spyderco does not.

When you want to order something from another website and see shipping is alot do you send them an email asking to lower the price?

High international shipping costs are not a new thing. And I see members(not just from this forum) shocked everytime they see what a website charges for international shipping.

Bottom line:
    Spyderco is an outstanding company which puts its customers first in ALOT of situations. They go above and beyond to satisfy their customers even if they take a loss. I think some people tend to take that for granted and when ever something is not in their favor they expect spyderco to fix it.

This is not to single out anyone. Just like people are expressing their opinion, so am I.
    Last edited by cosmo7809; 08-21-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Looks like this was not a good idea. My apologies, we'll sort it on Monday.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChrisR's Avatar
    Thanks Sal - sorry if I sounded grumpy but the news hit me before the first cup of tea had had its effect But seriously, I'd love one - especially at such a great price - but just the shipping thing left me a bit ... If it wasn't just through SFO and it could be obtained from normal outlets we'd get much cheaper shipping on it
    My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Looks like this was not a good idea. My apologies, we'll sort it on Monday.

sal
    I hope that the complaints here won't result in this product being cancelled and none of the edge guides being shipped?
    Last edited by JNewell; 08-21-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    I hope that the complaints here won't result in this product being cancelled and none of the edge guides being shipped?
    Ditto!

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmo7809 View Post
    This is not to single out anyone. Just like people are expressing their opinion, so am I.
    As is your right.

The alternative point of view would be to ask, which is worse, people using this forum to explain that, while they found the gauge interesting, they decided it was not worth paying the shipping cost, or for them to remain silent and have Spyderco assume that slow sales were due to lack of interest in the gauge itself?
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmo7809 View Post
    When you want to order something from another website and see shipping is alot do you send them an email asking to lower the price?

High international shipping costs are not a new thing. And I see members(not just from this forum) shocked everytime they see what a website charges for international shipping.
    I don't ask for a lower shipping rate if it wasn't offered, I just go to a vendor with low rate to begin with, or not buy it if one isn't available. One of my most used vendor would charge less than $2 to ship this. I suspect newgraham gets a lot of business from canada because they are willing to ship via 1st class mail and charge the actual cost.

I don't have problem with high rate if it's warranted, but not if an unrealistic shipping method is required. I was looking at a pair of pants sometime ago, it was less than $50, but only way to ship it is FEDEX next air which runs over $200. It's pants, not live organ waiting for transplant for christ's sake.

------------------

Oh by the way what is this made of? The ones for chisel is made of brass to avoid damage edge. I see on this one some of the slots have hairline for the edge to rest on but some doesn't?
    Last edited by jzmtl; 08-21-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Right. You also must take into consideration that I am sure it is hard for spyderco or who ever to just say "Forget UPS, were going USPS for the smaller things"

I think I should point out that I feel that the SFO should be free charge what they like for shipping - I mean, SFO is not there to compete with other outlets and Spyderco are primarily manufacturers, so they probably don't have the capacity to handle shipping out lots of little, cheap packets to all and sundry.

My only gripe was the fact that SFO was the only source and that meant we couldn't go to our normal traders, who do have the capacity and postal agreements to send out small packets. If I could get it through my normal trader then I am sure shipping would be no more than about $7 to the UK, which fits perfectly with the price-point of the product itself
    My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades

Anyone have a picture of this ? It looks like its no longer on the SFO link.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pinetreebbs's Avatar

Lightbulb Stop and Think

If the gauge had been listed at $20 with free shipping they would be sold out by now.

Methinks y'all are being just a bit whinny. Even something free costs money for packing materials, a person to make up the package, the shipping cost itself and the the costs to operate a web site, accepting credit cards, returns etc is not free.

I forgot to say, my order is in.
    Last edited by Pinetreebbs; 08-21-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Do you think it would have been practical to push a product that was manufactured at this price point and in the low hundreds out through distributors and dealers? By the time everyone made enough to compensate for the time and cost of setting things up, it would have been a $50 item, and you would still have had to pay shipping.

The whole project may all be academic at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    I think I should point out that I feel that the SFO should be free charge what they like for shipping - I mean, SFO is not there to compete with other outlets and Spyderco are primarily manufacturers, so they probably don't have the capacity to handle shipping out lots of little, cheap packets to all and sundry.

My only gripe was the fact that SFO was the only source and that meant we couldn't go to our normal traders, who do have the capacity and postal agreements to send out small packets. If I could get it through my normal trader then I am sure shipping would be no more than about $7 to the UK, which fits perfectly with the price-point of the product itself

Well, I know it's not a lot of money to many people but $17 is a no-brainer - I'd just have one and it would never incur import taxes because it is under the threshold. But for $35 (assuming Customs don't hit me for taxes and 'postal handling fees' - and they probably would) then it just makes me stop and think whether I really need it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Do you think it would have been practical to push a product that was manufactured at this price point and in the low hundreds out through distributors and dealers?
    Well, there are plenty of sub-$10 products sold through main dealers - the Bug knife being one - and that was even planned to be given away as a freebie at shows originally. I recognize that there is an economy of scale and not many angle-guides have been made (yet) but I think, like so many other great little Spyderco products, it will sell like hot-cakes - needing a fairly big second run of them

I hope an international shipping option like the large USPS envelope comes available. I'm happy to pay that ($12) for international shipping, but $25 is a bit high for a <$10 item.
    Hope the option comes soon
    Last edited by Ted; 08-21-2010 at 01:06 PM.

I expressed my point of view on the Spyderco Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spyder...info&ref=notif

For those on FB worth an add for Spyderco!

So I will not labour the point again.

Sal said he will look into this on Monday, so everyone relax and see what happens. Don't panic Mr Mannering!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR6wo...feature=search

My real name is Wayne

Yup - if Sal says he's going to sort something out then I'm happy

We pulled it for now.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinetreebbs View Post
    If the gauge had been listed at $20 with free shipping they would be sold out by now.

Methinks y'all are being just a bit whinny. Even something free costs money for packing materials, a person to make up the package, the shipping cost itself and the the costs to operate a web site, accepting credit cards, returns etc is not free.

I forgot to say, my order is in.
    I'm glad someone said it. Thanks.

Deleted a rant. Wouldn't want to push this thread to 3 pages.
    Last edited by Blerv; 08-21-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    We pulled it for now.

sal
    Very disappointed to hear that.