Thread: Spyderco Bushcraft second -mini review.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xavierdoc's Avatar

Spyderco Bushcraft second -mini review.

I ordered one of the seconds and left it to settle a few months. The cracks were almost invisible by that stage. I've sealed the handle with multiple layers of cyanoacrylate (polymerised with linseed oil) and polished it up. It's a very durable finish.

It has seen heavy use since (batoning, etc.) and the scales remain solid.

The supplied sheath is not to my liking so I have a DIY one, instead.

I'd recommmend the second as good value compared to the blank as the handle is ergonomically superb and looks stunning, plus you get the sheath. Besides, if my handle falls apart I'll stick some micarta or CF on.

Obviously 01 requires a lot more looking after than the steels we are used to seeing Spyderco use (corrosion-wise.) However, it sharpens easily and the HT seems to be spot on.

It's a great bushcraft knife and the handle has the best ergonomics of any bushcraft knife I've used or made. I would prefer it without the spyder-hole as crud accumulates in it.

Probably the best value knife I've bought (Byrd Crossbill a close second!)

Cheers,

Xav
    Last edited by xavierdoc; 08-02-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dbcad's Avatar
    Good to see a Bushcraft doing bushcraft

I love mine even though I don't do bushcraft. I've found it to be a superb tool adept at all sorts of things from food prep to whittling. The blade does require attention and care but that makes me even more fond of it's character.. The Bushcraft is my favorite fixed blade

Charlie
    Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"

Spyderco Forum Registered User SUDS's Avatar
    Looks like a very nice second. I like how you polished up the handle. it makes it look like a jewel
    Adam

Manix 2, Para 2, Frn/Wooden UKPK

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    Really nice job!
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User PFPX4's Avatar
    Xav your knife is superb! Unfortunately now it looks like there is no more stock of it but only blank bushcrafts. Is it going to be available again in the future? I surely hope so!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Xav,
    You piqued my curiosity about the method used for the revarnishing of the burl wood.
    Did you sand it down previous to using the cyano+linseed oil? Any details on how you went about getting that nice effect would be appreciated as that type of varnishing seems to have a lot of different approaches. Great looking Bushie!

Cheers,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by strad View Post
    Xav,
    You piqued my curiosity about the method used for the revarnishing of the burl wood.
    Did you sand it down previous to using the cyano+linseed oil? Any details on how you went about getting that nice effect would be appreciated as that type of varnishing seems to have a lot of different approaches. Great looking Bushie!

Cheers,
    Brian
    It's not my method- it was described on Britishblades. After letting the wood acclimatise to British atmospheric conditions, I sanded back to "virgin" wood and cleaned of all traces of the linseed oil in which the blade was shipped. The blade was masked off. The cracks were dried with compressed air (carefully) and filled with the extra-runny superglue (cyanoacrylate). Using a latex gloved finger with clingfilm covering, a thin, even layer of superglue was spread over the whole handle. I didn't use linseed oil at this stage. I kept turning the knife rotisserie-style to stop thick areas developing. Once dry, this layer was sanded (using micromesh to about 2400 grit) and more glue applied, dried and sanded.

Once I had an even, dry coat (about three applications) I added more layers but using linseed oil (horse food supplement, etc.) immediately after the glue application. This causes the glue to set quickly and allows rapid build up of layers. Then... more sanding (up to final finish of 8000grit micromesh.)

The finish is tough and will hopefully help stabilise the wood. A bit.

Beware: the glue will destroy the clingfilm and latex finger protection quite quickly: you could become really attached to Spyderco!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Thanks for the clear and concise description.
    Sound like fun.
    I'm going to give it a shot.

Brian

Update

With the release of the Spyderco BushcraftUK G10, now would seem to be a good time to post an update on my factory second of the spalted maple handled knife. It is the same blade and handle shape as the G10.

Here are a few pics of my knife, which has seen regular use this year:

There is some staining of the blade, which is not surprising as I do not pamper my working knives. It does get a quick clean and a wipe of oil after use. There is no pitting or rust (one of the pics above is misleading as the colour balance looks a bit orangy/rusty.)

Lazy field sharpening with small stones has distorted the zero/scandi grind but it remains perfect in function and easy to keep shaving-sharp. A good balance between ease of sharpening, edge retention and toughness. The G10 version will hopefully be the same.

The "cracked" scales have shown no signs of shifting or splitting. I haven't had any grip issues with sweat, rain or blood on the gloss finish. Some areas of the gloss finish have lost their shine and there are a few dings. The finish is not the factory standard (see original post.)

In summary:

My opinion of the factory second Spyderco BushcraftUK remains unchanged; it is an excellent "bushcraft" knife for the money. The sheath is a bit nasty and I use a DIY affair.

I haven't looked at the price of the G10 version as I don't need it, but if I didn't have the wooden handled version I'd be looking for a G10. It should be a real work horse.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DCDesigns's Avatar
    xavier - You have the most beautiful bushcraft I have seen yet!, second or not, those scales are just gorgeous!!! Ive seen a lot of non-second knives, none of them even comes close to the figuring of those scales! The zone lines, the colors, they are intense!!!

Most ive seen will have one or two sections of spalting, and thats it!

That being said I think the wood choice is why they ended up with so many seconds. Spalted wood that is not stabilized is somewhat unpredictable, and the fact that spyderco would even try is impressive.