Thread: CTS BD1 steel.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar

CTS BD1 steel.

I wanted to see what kind of response people are having to the steel.

The Mule arrived in excellent condition, ground well and truly sharp as expected.

I still use my old GIN 1 knives and like the steel for cutlery purposes. I have just got through putting the normal edge on it I use for finer grained steels ( ie: steels not containing large quantities of the large, evil, devil worshipping vanadium carbides)

That works out to around a 30ish degree inclusive edge , stopping at around 8,000 grit ( DMT diamond) with a green ( chrome oxide) strop.

This was a very easy sharpening job, with the small burr coming off easily and quickly. It gets very sharp, and pushes through copier paper easily enough.

I didn't do much heavy wear resistance type testing as it's more about comparing ease of sharpening and common EDC chores so far.

It's not a powder steel, and doesn't really need to be with the small, good grain structure but itfeels similar to one while sharpening. I mean that as a compliment too. To be honest, it seems to be easier to sharpen than my Gin 1 knives though I really don't know of any really great reason it should. Perhaps the slight amount of vanadium ( 0.10% ) it has that Gin 1 doesn't helped keep the grain structure smaller or something like that.

Perhaps the hardness is different. I don't know the values for either, to be honest.

I like it though. In my opinion it's as easy as Aus 6 to sharpen, but should last longer wear resistance wise.

Some have beefed about the price, and Sal explained why so I won't get into that. I will say I like the steel. I like it better for my uses than Aus6, 420HC, 440A&B, etc.

I've said before that Gin 1 was the first stainless steel I liked enough to carry back when I bought my first Spyderco. I still like it, and so far I like CTS BD1 as well, maybe better.

We'll see how it does with other companies as it's a great steel for when the super wear resistant expensive steels are just not needed.
    Last edited by The Mastiff; 07-02-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Great insights as always, Joe. Thanks.

John

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    Thanks John.

BTW, I noticed this stuff mirrors up almost without trying when sharpening. I haven't modded the blade but I'd suspect it would pimp out pretty easily if one wanted to put the time in. I'd guess one quarter to one half the time that it would take to do a similar S30V or D2 blade, with a superior final mirrored finish.

Not quite as easy as the 420 class, or 440A but I'd guess it would resist pocket scratches better than these as well.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User unit's Avatar
    Just got mine. Looking to begin pimping tonight or tomorrow.

This has all the markings of a fun project!
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.

Spyderco Forum Registered User DCDesigns's Avatar
    Doenst ankerson rate it below H1 in edge retention?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-5-8-quot-rope

Spyderco Forum Registered User hunterseeker5's Avatar
    Two things about Ankerson's review chart:

First we don't know what blade produced that result (and I really wish he labeled them for reference) so what the HT was like we just don't know. For all we know that result was produced with a blade with a defective HT.

Second, and this isn't a pot shot at Ankerson if anything I hope he'd agree with me, this cutting test isn't the tell-all in regards to steel performance. Some steels will perform better than others in different ways in different tests. Thats not to say that Ankerson's test is wrong, its just you have to understand that its not an all-encompassing performance review.

Jim if you're reading this, this wasn't a shot at you. I actually am rather grateful for all your testing.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    Grrr...edited my post. Didn't realize this was a 16 month old thread.
    Blake

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    If you search the thread most of them are identified, or better yet, if you just post in the thread with a question, Jim will ID the knife in question. FWIW, though, I agree that it would be useful to have the specific knife identified in the first post.

As far as the specific test involved, it's really hard to identify any single test that represents the variety of tasks we ask our blades to perform. I don't think there's anything that can be done about that, though. Certainly steels and blades that perform better in Jim's test may not sort out the same way in a different test or if the blade is changed (note the difference between the Manix2 in S90V and the Para and Military in S90V, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by hunterseeker5 View Post
    Two things about Ankerson's review chart:

First we don't know what blade produced that result (and I really wish he labeled them for reference) so what the HT was like we just don't know. For all we know that result was produced with a blade with a defective HT.

Second, and this isn't a pot shot at Ankerson if anything I hope he'd agree with me, this cutting test isn't the tell-all in regards to steel performance. Some steels will perform better than others in different ways in different tests. Thats not to say that Ankerson's test is wrong, its just you have to understand that its not an all-encompassing performance review.

Jim if you're reading this, this wasn't a shot at you. I actually am rather grateful for all your testing.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    We'll see how it does with other companies as it's a great steel for when the super wear resistant expensive steels are just not needed.
    Nice job on the erport, that is pretty much exactly what would be expected given the alloy distribution. It would be expected to be a wear upgrade to 8Cr13MoV without jumping into the ATS-34 class steels which can be difficult to machine/grind and can be chippy at low angles. It is nice to see Spyderco offering some finer carbide steels for those that want thinner/acute edges at a high polish. I would be curious to see how it reacts at lower angles, though it takes a long time to regrind them without power equipment.