Page 98 of 104 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2074

Thread: Show your mods!

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Commendatore View Post
    Your scales work keeps me stunned Ted. Always a pleasure to see and a motivation to finally try some Mule scales myself to learn how much skill has to be involved when doing linerless folding knife handles. Everytime I see them I am puzzled how you manage to get the wood grain aligned so the UKPK´s strong backspring doesn´t split it.
    FRN ones are interesting indeed, I wonder how to re-build the FRN molded spring rest. I can only think of a bolt and a spacer
    Thanks for the nice compliments, Commendatore! You are absolutely right, the strain on the linerless wood from those backsprings is significant. I had two failures last weekend which did exactly what you described - the scales split right at the bolt holes. The first one was a nice slab of old-growth redwood - which is quite a bit more dense than the second-growth wood you see on the market. I wasn't surprised when it failed, to be honest. The second one that failed was a piece of stabilized rock maple. I would normally think this would be strong enough to use in this application, but the stabilizing left the wood with an odd, almost crumbly texture. When I tore the scales apart, I found some minor spalting that I didn't see before. My guess is that the spalting made the maple grain significantly weaker in those areas...

I've had good luck using hard, dense woods for these scales (as you've seen in my photos) - ironwood, rosewood, blackwood, acacia, tulipwood, canarywood, bloodwood, kingwood, lignum vitae. I've been wanting to try several others, which are on my to-do list - osage orange, ash, bois de rose, pau ferro/morado, gidgee, gum trees, hornbeam, ziricote, and mesquite burl...

While it is hard to make broad generalizations, woods I would avoid for this application (even if stabilized) include: hickory (strong, but too splintery), sycamore, most oaks, cherry, mango, most evergreens, palm, most fruit trees, poplar, teak, birch, walnut (I just don't like walnut...), balsa/basswood (!), and anything spalted...

Cheers!
    TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I have some cornel (dogwood?) I want to use for a Mule handle. it is so strong it does discolor when being cut, no matter which kind of saw I use. I does crack while drying though so I have to find a piece without defects. An alternative I have close at hand is checkers (chequer?) tree, wood my grandfather recommended for applications the grain direction should not get too problematic. Those woods do not look spectacular but for first try function goes first.
    I hope to have at least one done by next week

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    Thanks Jazz...It has given me the impetus to try something else!
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar

Time for another !

-Matt

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Nice color, Matt!
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    Thanks Jazz!

I just dyed my SB Stretch also. I dyed it green yesterday, but I didn't really like how it turned out. So today I dyed it navy blue like the Dragonfly. I left it in for a bit longer than I wanted, and ended up with pretty much a black handle. Oh well, at least black goes with everything.
    Time for another !

-Matt

How did you do that? Just hot glue like others who have done similar things?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Dragonfly2 (super blue) with kirinite mother of pearl handle

Made this kirinite handle for my new Dragonfly 2 with super blue blade.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    That's pretty slick looking, Jack.

How does the back spacer look?
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    That's pretty slick looking, Jack.

How does the back spacer look?
    Oops. Forgot. It's the same material as the scales.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Nice flat head screw slots.

I bought a dragonfly from someone who dyed the scales and he had to put one of those on the pivot.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

My Jade Millie with standoffs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks fantastic. ^^

Here's my Millie with standoffs...

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar

Thumbs up

Hi Folks!

Classy & Funky 'SuperBlue On Blue' D'Fly

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asmith001 View Post
    That looks fantastic. ^^

Here's my Millie with standoffs...

Too cool, Love It!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Clip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Commendatore View Post
    I have some cornel (dogwood?) I want to use for a Mule handle. it is so strong it does discolor when being cut, no matter which kind of saw I use. I does crack while drying though so I have to find a piece without defects. An alternative I have close at hand is checkers (chequer?) tree, wood my grandfather recommended for applications the grain direction should not get too problematic. Those woods do not look spectacular but for first try function goes first.
    I hope to have at least one done by next week
    I've got a few slices of dogwood slated for the XHP Mule. You're right, it is a bear to work its so hard. I've tried darn near every saw in the shop with little success.
    Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly3, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, M390 Para2, Cruwear MT12, Techno, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, Manix2 Ltwt, Salt I, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Forum Native5, Squeak, Manix 83mm, 440V Military, Gayle Bradley, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, Cruwear Military, VG10 Jester, Terzuola SlipIt, XHP Native Ltwt, Domino, CPM154/S90V Para2, SB Stretch, D2 Para, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MadRookie View Post
    Too cool, Love It!

Thanks you, sir!

Wharnified D'fly!

So, acid etching the scales was only the beginning of this little knifes transformation. It is now a Wharncliffe!

Before:

After:

Took me a couple of hours to do this.. It's not professional but I like it and it was fun, and it is very sharp!
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    Good work there - well done!

One would never say it had teeth....

Quote Originally Posted by MadRookie View Post
    Good work there - well done!

One would never say it had teeth....

Thank you, it really took me out of my comfort zone...