Page 95 of 104 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,900 of 2074

Thread: Show your mods!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    photo.JPG
    Paramilitary 2 with scales profiled.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Nice mod! Welcome to the forums
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1972 View Post
    photo.JPG
    Paramilitary 2 with scales profiled.
    Nice indeed. Welcome to the forums.

photo (3).JPG
    Another view.

What grit did you use to reprofile?

Quote Originally Posted by Therealtwitch View Post
    What grit did you use to reprofile?
    Used half round wood file. The 320 and 600 wet dry. Pretty easy.

I wonder how it would look if I did it with my camo pm2

The camo is only so deep into the g10 i think by looking at pictures. So the color of the underneath layer would probably show. It might look two tone. I would take away about 1/3 of the the scale thickness. I did about 1/2. A little much in my opinion. It does make the handle feel a bit smaller. Be careful if you have big hands.

I think it would look great. I just looked at more pictures online. The color underneath is sweet.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    This is my most recent UKPK mod - this is a user C94GPFG3 (Foliage Green G10 Drop Point model) that I purchased on one of the Forums. The scales are Kingwood, which is a member of the rosewood family from Brazil (Dalbergia cearensis) and is related to cocobolo, blackwood, and tulipwood. It is hard to see in these photos, but Kingwood has a pronounced blue/purple hue and the sawdust from working it is a dull purple shade. The dust is also very good at staining clothing, as my wife was unable to get it out of my jeans... The wood itself is heavy, dense, and oily like most members of this genus. These scales were resawn from a block of turning lumber I purchased at a local specialty wood yard. I sanded the scales out to 1200 grit, and tried to use some grain sealer to smooth over the open pores. However, the sealer coat never cured and remained sticky for over a week - leading me to believe that it was reacting to the natural oils in the wood itself. So I sanded them back out to 1200 grit and polished the scales to a natural finish. I topped them with a coat of Ren Wax and a quick buff.

Cheers!
    TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    This is my most recent UKPK mod - this is a user C94GPFG3 (Foliage Green G10 Drop Point model) that I purchased on one of the Forums. The scales are Kingwood, which is a member of the rosewood family from Brazil (Dalbergia cearensis) and is related to cocobolo, blackwood, and tulipwood. It is hard to see in these photos, but Kingwood has a pronounced blue/purple hue and the sawdust from working it is a dull purple shade. The dust is also very good at staining clothing, as my wife was unable to get it out of my jeans... The wood itself is heavy, dense, and oily like most members of this genus. These scales were resawn from a block of turning lumber I purchased at a local specialty wood yard. I sanded the scales out to 1200 grit, and tried to use some grain sealer to smooth over the open pores. However, the sealer coat never cured and remained sticky for over a week - leading me to believe that it was reacting to the natural oils in the wood itself. So I sanded them back out to 1200 grit and polished the scales to a natural finish. I topped them with a coat of Ren Wax and a quick buff.

Cheers!
    TedP

Excellent work once again Ken. I love beautiful wood and you seem to be getting some. Where do you get the wood you have been using? I think the work you have been using is great. A big difference in grain color is what I really like.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Thanks, Jack! I've always got my eyes out for unusual wood - and I get it from a wide variety of sources. The most fun source of wood is the scrap pile at my local specialty hardwood dealer (Colonial Hardwood here in VA). They toss out small and oddly shaped pieces of some really cool hardwoods. I've pulled all sorts of interesting and useful tidbits from there - and at $1 per piece, it is a great deal. My extended family also looks out for unusual pieces of wood for me year-round. Sometimes, they find reclaimed wood at flea markets, in harvested fire wood, or in local scrap piles. Always some surprises there!

I also look for interesting "turning blocks" at stores that stock material for woodturners. These are usually not fully dry and need some seasoning before you can cut off scales. However, with a bandsaw set up to resaw, you can peel off some nice scales at your desired thickness - and you can look for bookmatched pieces with unusual grain patterns.

And of course, my favorite knife-specific wood source is Mark at Burl Source. This guy gets some of the best wood out there for knife handles... You can find him over at BladeForums or google his store name. I can't recommend his material highly enough - he really knows his stuff.

TedP

Amazing work as always Ted
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Therealtwitch View Post
    I wonder how it would look if I did it with my camo pm2
    Yeah, the camo color is only on the surface. Underneath is more of a clear color. It might look a little funny.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    The grain of the wood is simply adorable!!

Drilled some holes to match the liners on my chaparral. Still needs some sanding but pretty happy with the initial drill

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Wow man that tooks some guts. I'd chamfer those holes next.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Holey Chaparral!

Is it any lighter?
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User 3rdGenRigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Holey Chaparral!

Is it any lighter?
    That made me chuckle.

And now you can do with it like you can with a Chokwe, and by that I mean using the holes to attach it to the end of a pole...though the clip has to be removed to do so.
    Ladybug (Salt/SuperBlue/White SE), Native (FRN), Dragonfly (Salt/Orange/SuperBlue/G10), Lava (Blue), Ulize, Byrdwrench
    Para-Military 2 (Digi-Cam/Green), Jester (Grey), Caly3/3.5 (CF), Domino (Blue), Stretch (SuperBlue), Spyderwrench
    Schempp Tuff, Goddard OD, Mule (K390), Manix2 (CruWear), Sage 3 (CF), Vallotton, Techno, Spin (Blue Nishijin)
    2013 Forum Native, Delica 4 (Damascus), Chokwe, Swick 3, Battlestation, Military (CruWear), Ti Salsa

-> Branden

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    Hahaha.....it looks stunning, love it more than the original.