Spyderco Forum Registered User Dexter's Avatar
    Spyderco Endura 4 DuoColor (Grey and Orange scales) after:
    - Scandi regrind
    - double stone wash
    - black wash (in FeCl3)

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    Thanks, Jack!

Actually, most of the holes in the Urban and UKPK are COUNTERBORES instead of countersinks. This means that they have a flat-bottom to the hole, not a sloped bottom - which allows the bolts to snug up tight against the scales. To do this, you need to get counterbore bits which are sized for your needs. For each hole, there is the "pilot" hole (which goes all the way through), and the larger "counterbore" which creates the concentric hole for the head of the bolt to fit into.

For my workbench, I bought four or five counterbore bits with removeable pilot bits - and then bought a bunch of pilot bits. I can mix and match them to get the right sized holes for the knife I'm working on. The counterbore bits range in price, but most were in the $15 range, and the pilots are less than $5.
    That's awsome. I'll search inet for counterbore. Do you suggest anywhere in particular to get these things? Lowe's for instance?

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    That's awsome. I'll search inet for counterbore. Do you suggest anywhere in particular to get these things? Lowe's for instance?

Jack
    I get mine from ebay primarily. There is a dealer called "Drills and Cutters" I use - they have a decent selections of parts for a good price. The key is to get replacable pilot counterbores so you can swap them in and out to get the right sizes as you need them...

TedP

Finished a new UKPK mod this weekend. This one is made from a piece of unstabilized canarywood that I pulled from a scrap pile at my local wood dealer. I love this wood - it is hard and dense, but not resinous. It has a very uniform grain so it works easily. But the best part from my perspective is the almost rainbow colors in the stripes. It's hard to see the detail in the photo, but there are bands of tan, brown, black, red, yellow, and other colors in the grain. Beautiful stuff - although in my experience, the wood becomes less vibrant over the years with aging and exposure...

I sliced the slabs to thickness, sanded them flat, then drilled, counterbored, and cut them out. I reassembled the knife, and shaped and contoured with files and hand sanding. They are finished with three thin coats of hand-rubbed Tru-Oil topped with a buffing with Ren Wax.

Cheers!
    TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar
    Hi phillipsted!

That UKPK Drop Point is absolutely Gorgeous!
    Stay Sharp!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Ted, Ted, Ted... you're becoming a master with the wood. Beautiful wood that is, too. Thanks for sharing.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ourgon's Avatar

Dragonfly 2 - ironwood handle

Latest handle project for my Dragonfly 2.
    Edit: ironwood scales and birchwood backspacer.

Birchwood backspacer

After post pic added: Pic of backspacer that is shaped along the curve of the blade edge. This brings the material closer to the tip when closed, which I think looks a little better. No effect on performance. There appears to be a "V" shape on the inside of the backspacer. This is one of those octipal delusions. It's flat.

Jack
    EDIT PS:
    I got the piece of birchwood from a forum member a long while ago. I hate to say I can't remember who it was. But I thank you all the same.

Forgot to add, this handle isn't finished. I noticed a flaw () that I can live with for a few days. I'll correct it soon. Can anyone tell what I'm talking about?

Another post post edit : I weighed the knife and it is 1.2 oz. which is the same weight as the specs. state on the FRN original. I was curious because it felt light. But, I've had c-tek/g-10 handle on it for a while which I assume is heavier. Never weighed it.
    Last edited by jackknifeh; 03-25-2014 at 09:36 AM.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Jack, that Dfly looks very classy. I'd be happy to carry it for a year and write a review for you!
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Jack, that Dfly looks very classy. I'd be happy to carry it for a year and write a review for you!
    Very kind offer xceptnl, but dangit! @&*, I left my stamps in my other pants.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    I get mine from ebay primarily. There is a dealer called "Drills and Cutters" I use - they have a decent selections of parts for a good price. The key is to get replacable pilot counterbores so you can swap them in and out to get the right sizes as you need them...

TedP
    I found counterbores on ebay but haven't found the seller. Can you give me a link to an item on this seller's site? I'll check his stuff first since you are happy with him. Or at least haven't had any problems I guess. Is there a way to search for sellers on ebay? All I know how to search for is products.

Jack
    PS
    I think I need to try tru-wax on my D'fly. Your knife is bootiful.
    Last edited by jackknifeh; 03-25-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Jack, that Dfly is sweet. The contrasting backspacer really sets it off.

Ourgon, love that Endura.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Jack, that Dfly is sweet. The contrasting backspacer really sets it off.

Ourgon, love that Endura.
    Thanks Jazz. One thing I've been wanting to mention about the one-piece handles. You can put or leave out the clip and/or lanyard hole. By leaving the lanyard hole out you can put the clip as high as you can for a very low riding knife in your pocket. Debating on putting the clip on this handle.

Jack

Nice work, Jack! It took me a minute to register that this knife started life as an FRN DFly! I thought for a couple of minutes that it was a rescaled G10 model. I'm liking this mod a lot!

(BTW, I spotted the "flaw" you were talking about, but I'll leave it up to someone else to say something... Otherwise, it is *perfect* )

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Is it that the right hand scale is smaller at the end furthest from the blade? (Seen in the third picture.)

It looks like you changed the profile of the handle. One of my favorite features of the Dragonfly is the angle at which my pinky finger lies on the scale.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Is it that the right hand scale is smaller at the end furthest from the blade? (Seen in the third picture.)

Yes. This is caused when shaping the outside of the handle the Dremel is not at a 90 angle with the deck. See below.

looks like you changed the profile of the handle. One of my favorite features of the Dragonfly is the angle at which my pinky finger lies on the scale.
    I left the rear end of the handle wider (not thicker) for a bit larger end. I did this mainly so if I put a clip on it I have a little more room to make it really deep if Ileave out the lanyard hole.

But the flaw that I was actually talking about is the right scale is a tiny bit thicker than the left. This wasn't obvious to the naked eye until after I used the chamfer router bit on the edges. It took an issue that I couldn't see and made it more obvious. It's more apparant in the hand than in a picture. Easily fixable though.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar

Reground southard
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar

Regrind, Horizontal satin, satin clip and heat anno to liner an Ti
    -Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Just finished up a TI Military and Cru-Wear blade swap.
    Scales, back spacer, and clip are orange peeled. Lock face has been Cabonized. TI clip has been drilled and tapped for tip up carry.
    And a Cru-Wear blade from a Sprint has been swapped in. Now I consider this a hard use knife, and is in my pocket.

I am now doing a Gold Anodized Fluted Ti. Just purchased a silver Fluted, new version. Sanded and polished the edges and groove tops. Flame ano'd the scales gold. Polished and flame colored the clip, and will do all the hardware the same, except the blade. Waiting for the custom standoffs and looking for someone to Carbonize the lock face and I forgot about the steel insert, and I am sure it softened from the heat when I flamed the scales.
    Looking for a super steel blade. M4, M390, S90V, S10V. Will post that one when it's done. Here is a teaser.

Robo, how do you get the orange peel texture? Is it just with polishing? Nice, by the way.
    - best wishes, Jazz.