Thread: Show your mods!

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Ukraine, the city of Sevastopol

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Even your smooth wood designs look great. I like the subtle indentation for the clips are nice touches. The dark walnut (guessing) in post #1802 is really nice as is the bocte (still guessing) from post #1804. Google translator did a really good job of relaying what you were trying to say.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

1802 - wenge
    1804 - coco palm

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Even your smooth wood designs look great. I like the subtle indentation for the clips are nice touches. The dark walnut (guessing) in post #1802 is really nice as is the bocte (still guessing) from post #1804. Google translator did a really good job of relaying what you were trying to say.
    What xceptnl said +1.

Attention to detail. I notice you put the clip mounting holes wherever the original ones were. When I do scales I only put the clip mounting holes or whatever in the position I will be using it. That extra little bit says a lot. Then again, that is a very small thing compared to the rest of the work. I know you have more. LET'S SEE IT!

How about a picture of your work shop? Or a video.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Those wood scales are remarkable. That is excellent work!
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    I even like the way you countersink your screw heads. I'm going to have to stop posting. I could be here all day check out your work.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Frankly, I do not understand most of what you ask. Google translator translates very poorly...: (

This is absolutely upper crust FIRST RATE 3D CNC work product!!! I'm still trying to determine if this is 3 axis OR 5 axis...! Either way... heirloom, collector, museum quality going on there...! Just jaw dropping results!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GamleT View Post
    Frankly, I do not understand most of what you ask. Google translator translates very poorly...: (
    This is likely because of our English, not how Google translates.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User pearl2291's Avatar
    Wow did this thread ever get interesting today!! Excellent work GamleT!! Fantastic examples with several different types of materials all look top notch.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    He wants to see more videos or more pictures of the work.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar

Wow! Great job! Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    Here is the newest of my growing UKPK/Urban wood-scale collection. This is a used UKPK that I purchased from one of the Forums. The handle material is ancient Kauri from New Zealand. When I first encountered this wood, I had to go look it up - because it is an extinct species. This wood has been carbon dated to over 40,000 years old - the Paleolithic or late Stone Age. Evidently, these large trees fell into swamps and bogs and were covered before rot took hold. These trees were monsters - on par with the Sequoia and Redwoods in size. When they are excavated today, they often find trunk sections the size of houses. Amazing stuff.

Anyway, these scales are stabilized because the wood is somewhat soft and porous. I carved these scales to shape and sanded down to 1200 grit. You can't really see it in the pictures, but Kauri has flecks of gold metallic shimmer in the wood, which gives it an almost 3D look. Gorgeous. The Kauri, even though it is relatively soft, is also fairly rigid, which makes it work well in these unlined UKPK knives. This version weighs several grams less than the original orange G10 knife.

Cheers!
    TedP

Great work as always and thanks for sharing the history behind the wood. A very interesting background to that piece of tree.
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    That skull handle is fantastic.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Wow.

*I understand that you're interested in how this is done? Much of the work performed on the CNC machine. 3 axis machine. Here are a few photos in the process:

These pads are cut from titanium inserts - ebony.
    I'm more than eight years working on CNC machines, my master performs a variety of work. Knives - only a small part of what we do.

That is what I consider a well done aftermarket 3d machined scale. I love the Ti and Ebony being used together.
    My 's:

*Landon*