Page 53 of 104 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2074

Thread: Show your mods!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Embassy

My first knife modificatins. Inspired by Gavkoo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Sage4 dymondwood scales

Here are the two scales I ended up with. The color wood I ordered was black/silver. How would you guys describe these colors? It's NOT what I wanted even though they don't look bad I guess. I just think black/silver would look better with the silver bolsters, liners, etc.

I think if I sanded the center down until the dark color is gone it may look better with more of the lighter brown showing. Opinions? This scale is "rounder" than the other side.

This one is blurry. My fault, Sorry. This scale is flatter giving the surface a more consistant color pattern.

I would like for the sides to match closer but I think that would require a different amount of sanding on each side resulting in different thickness scales. The one with the very dark center is still thicker in the center which is what gives it more colors. Around the sides the scale is thinner revealing the layer below the dark center. Both scales are still quite a bit thicker than "stock" scales which are the same thickness as the bolsters. The thicker ones feel better (little bit) in my hand. But I do have some room for more sanding to get different looks.

I sanded up to 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and polished with diamond paste at 15 and 3 on a small piece of leather.

Any suggestions about working with this wood (or anything) is appreciated.

Jack

Edit
    A thought just came to me. I could sand the tops until I get the result I want and better matching appearance. Then sand the bottom to get the thickness to match. Duhhh!

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pockets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTech View Post
    Here is a Lil' Matriarch with new Orange G-10 silkies, black pocket clip and screws.

And here it is with it's bigger brothers.
    A Civilian in Blue Carbon Twill, and a Matriarch 2 in Ruby Red slippers.
    I'm currently trying to do that to a D'fly, with moderate success. I want to do it to my Delica and a Stretch I will be buying in a few weeks. Do you have any tips or advice?

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    I'm currently trying to do that to a D'fly, with moderate success. I want to do it to my Delica and a Stretch I will be buying in a few weeks. Do you have any tips or advice?
    Excellent work. Looks great. I read the info on the Matriarch and it has liners. Did you leave them on or are the scales entirely G-10? I have wondered about making scales for a knife with nested FRN scales. If the liners are there what did you use to remove the material for the liners?

Great looking knife.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Gofannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toto07 View Post
    Embassy
    What mod have you made?
    "The things you own end up owning you."
    Tyler, Fight Club

My spyderco

Geoffrey

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Excellent work. Looks great. I read the info on the Matriarch and it has liners. Did you leave them on or are the scales entirely G-10? I have wondered about making scales for a knife with nested FRN scales. If the liners are there what did you use to remove the material for the liners?

Great looking knife.

Jack
    Thank you.
    I milled out the material for the liners with a 1/8" carbide burr on a drill press.
    Just make sure it is an END CUT mill type, as the end has to be flat, and have a slight cutting edge to get a smooth cut. And a decent depth micrometer comes in handy, too, altho not needed for a couple of projects. Just a lot of cut and fit without a set.
    The Spyderco liners vary from knife to knife, .040" to .050".
    I get my carbide burs, here. http://www.buckeyecarbide.com/cylind...-9-16-x-2.html and I also use this one, occasionally http://www.buckeyecarbide.com/cylind...-7-16-x-3.html
    IF you only use them to mill soft materials, they will last a long time.
    Last edited by RoBoTech; 12-24-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pockets View Post
    I have rescaled two Stretch and two Enduras. Haven't done a Delica, but same process.
    I would certainly get a Delica lightweight kit, just in case. AND the pins are the same on a delica and stretch, and the delica kit comes with a set of pins. at 15.00, that kit may save your project(s).
    I do go with a larger TORX screw as the T-6 is weak, in my experience. The screws are 2-56 thread, and you can find several variations at http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=60_81_230 and http://usaknifemaker.com/
    Be VERY careful when Milling out for the liners as there are a couple of places that are very close tolerance. If you have a grinder, there's nothing that says you can't grind the liners to give more space at the edges. as long as you don't grind into the pin holes.
    Here is a Tenacious build to see what I mean. It is a radical mod, but you can see what I am talking about there.

Finished

A bottom shot to show the liner lock cut.

Make sure you dress any edge you grind as if there is any "wire" left on the edges, it will prevent the scale from fitting flat.
    Last edited by RoBoTech; 12-24-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks! I will hopefully get started today.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Igi964 View Post
    My first knife modificatins. Inspired by Gavkoo.
    very nice!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stony's Avatar
    All I did was bead blast the titanium scales (by JG), liners, and clip but I think it turned out well.

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post

Great looking knife.

Jack
    I just used solid G10 for the Delica, as it is stiff enough for my liking, and really light. I've been practicing the Dremel-mill-bit-in-drill-press method, but I know a guy with a real mill, so I might use that instead.

very nice blade stony
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    All I did was bead blast the titanium scales (by JG), liners, and clip but I think it turned out well.

Man, that's beautiful - really, and I love the Spyderco clip, as opposed to add-ons. Thanks for sharing. Nice pics. Can you take one of the knife open on the clip side, please?

- best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Wow Stony, those are beautiful. John really produces a quality product.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Those scales are sweet for sure but that blasted clip pulls the entire package together...it looks killer.
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Moroland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar L View Post
    Sorry Jens, Jesper and Mr. Sal

Where did you get that thumbstud? I'd love to do that to my Pingo

This is my first mod...cork scales on my stainless Dragonfly. The family "crest" on the blade was laser etched by Spyderco.
    [img]21253[/img]
    Last edited by BOWA; 01-03-2013 at 10:03 PM.

The other side since i can't get more that one thumbnail to show in a post...
    [img]21254[/img]
    Last edited by BOWA; 01-03-2013 at 10:03 PM.

Amazing work BOWA the scales look great, and the etching takes it to another level!

Welcome to the forums, and great first post

-Spencer