Nice! Great job!

Spyderco Forum Registered User kens73's Avatar

orange rit dye, but looks red
    Lost count ...
    Super Blue Lover

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcsuja View Post
    My Chinook Junior...

NICE! ...and welcome to the forum. You gotta love a clip point blade. Nice job.

- best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kens73 View Post

And another NICE! Gorgeous shade of red. Seriously nice - thanks for sharing.

- best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User

What color was that when you started?
    Foliage green?

Love that color!

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTech View Post
    Foliage green?
    I think that's a Super Blue.

Regardless, it looks absolutely killer and I'm curious how it was done considering it's a Pin construction knife.
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Probably a bad idea to say it is super blue... because he was asking what color it was. It was Gray.
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User 1623's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    Probably a bad idea to say it is super blue... because he was asking what color it was. It was Gray.
    Figured RoBo knows that the SB has Grey scales, but yes, clarification appreciated.
    "To be nobody but yourself, in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else, means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."

E.E. Cummings

Music and age have no correlation; what's in the heart is in the heart.

I certainly appreciate the vote of confidence. I can use it.
    But in this case, I had no idea what a Caly 3.5 comes in, or it's sprint runs.
    I don't have one and I have several other Spydercos ahead of it on my list.
    I think I can say they do come in the Superblue steel as I just now did some research. And the Super Blue is a Gray G-10.
    I got it now.
    I have a bottle of the Sunshine Orange RIT. Is that the right Orange to use?
    I just may pull the Super Blue Caly 3.5 closer to the top of the list if I can get it that beautiful color.
    I just NOW got done dying my Leafstorm. Wanted a decent blue. The Denim Blue RIT is about right.
    I won't go into detail, but took it darker with Navy Blue with a touch of Scarlet. More of a Blackberry color with some translucence. I had flamed the TI scale an got it a bit hot, so it has a Magenta fade. The Blackberry scales look decent. We'll see.
    If anyone is interested, I will post it when I get it back together.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    If anyone is interested, I will post it when I get it back together.
    I'm interested! Post those pics!
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stew's Avatar
    Pics sound like a must!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stew's Avatar
    Does anyone know about removing colour from frn? I have an orange rescue that the previous owner got a slight bit of black permanent marker on. I'm considering recolouring it but would think he black will show through. Don't want the scales to be black all over so figure I need to remove he marker pen first.

Spyderco Forum Registered User razorsharp's Avatar
    stonewashed my delica

-Travis
    Come chat with us on IRC

Visit the knife picture site http://sharpthings.net/
    Super-steel Nut

To the sharpening junkies: SHOW THOSE EDGES!
    Spyderco Knives- Tuff- Southard- Resilience
    Others- Dalibor Sirius- Strider SnG DGG- Ozark Tradition DC Slicer- Curtiss Nano- Strider SMF Lego
    Inbound: Zero Tolerance 0777 - Zero Tolerance 0801cf - Benchmade 940-1

Spyderco Forum Registered User kens73's Avatar
    Foliage green?

Grey.
    Powdered sunshine orange rit dye
    Lost count ...
    Super Blue Lover

Grey.
    Powdered sunshine orange rit dye
    Thanks ken73
    I have an Endura FFG that has gray FRN and a bottle of RIT Sunshine orange. I may try to get that color this weekend.
    Can I even dye FRN? Anyone know?
    Edit:
    Yeah, you can dye FRN, should have done some research.
    I just dyed my Endura FFG gray. Apparently FRN and G-10 Accepts the dye differently as I got the brown I was expecting from the Sunshine Orange and gray FRN. NOT the red above.
    Still I like it better than the Gray.
    Last edited by RoBoTech; 12-22-2011 at 12:27 PM.

I had to start over on the leafstorm. It got too dark. almost black. even in good lighting, it's so blue black. Doesn't look bad on the TI scales, but I wanted a lighter blue.
    The only reason i am posting is to say that RIT dye remover will work about 90%. I almost have it back to the original green. I don't think it will go totally back, but it will be close. 20 minutes in the soup "on the bile" as my father would have said..
    I have to go get the Denim Blue like I should have just left alone in the first place. When I post pics, I will also give you guys a clue about dying the scales. pretty neat. I just blew it because I didn't know it would work and over did it. Will post pics later on this morning.
    I am still learning
    Here is a pic a friend sent me of his Manix 1 dye job, to hold everyone over. I think you will be amazed at it. I was.

This is from our friend Korbiak. Gorgeous, isn't it!
    A follow up on the Manix 1.
    I am stupid. My eyes kept telling me TI scales, but my brain was in denial as I just couldn't get a full custom TI for the Manix. 1.
    I just found out that that this is an STR custom TI knife from 2006-7. I learn something new everyday. Isn't life great?
    Last edited by RoBoTech; 12-22-2011 at 10:29 AM.

My flamed TI Spydercos. My newest mod is the Leafstorm in front.
    Flamed TI. I overheated the TI a bit and got it too dark, and there is a faded line of Magenta under the clip. Scale has been dyed Denim Blue.

I had the thought of tie dying G-10 scale(s). By tying rubber bands around the scale and dying. The band would prevent the dye from dying under the rubber band. I was going to try that until I noticed that the rubber band did not sit flat except at the edges. Scrap that.
    Then I got the bright idea of magnets.
    So I took four 3/4" magnets. put two on one side of the scale and a matching one on the other side to hold them on. This worked perfectly. I had two perfect circles on the scale.
    EXCEPT, I had dyed the scale a denim blue (MUCH lighter than now) after I set the magnets. This cause the circles to be the original greenish scale. So I dyed the whole set Navy Blue. Uh Uh, too dark, black, pretty much.
    So I use RIT color remover and it worked rather well. ALMOST back to normal. Tried again with just a touch of Scarlet in the Navy blue, and the dye diluted. Too much Scarlet, so dyed it Navy blue. Almost kept it as there was just a hint of red, like a blackberry.
    Nah, still too dark. So I used the dye remover again. got it almost back to original, about 85%. Then used the Denim blue a little heavier than before. A little dark, but I quit.
    Actually NOT as dark as these sorry pictures. And very translucent on the edges that is not apparent in these pictures.
    Anyway, here's a little tip for you modders.
    This probably should only be done one scale at a time.
    Get a couple of small magnets, or a larger rectangular one (I have both) for the back side of a G-10 Scale. Then use magnetic strip tape (refrigerator advertisement magnets will work). Use an exacto to cut the thin magnet material to small shapes. stick these shapes on the scale and use the magnet on the back side to hold them flat. If they are flat, the dye will NOT soak under them and after you dye, it will leave that shape. Use your imagination. If the scale is thin enough, a strip of the tape on the back may be enough.
    Just make sure the whole scale is the color you want under the tape, then apply and dye a darker color.
    See what I mean? I already know it will work.
    Make note that I used a GLASS in a pan of near boiling water (about 185 degrees) to put the dye and scale in (Note that I used Liquid RIT. The powder is definitely better as it doesn't need to be kepy near boiling as the liguid seems to require. Trouble for me is there is only Navy Blue and Black in the powdered form at my Walmart). This will prevent the magnets from holding on to your pan. It's a little slower, but that is a good thing when you are trying to get an exact color. Check the scale often to make sure you don't go too dark. I use a small plastic clamp over a magnet to control the scale with. And wear surgeons gloves or you will regret it.
    I may cut a set up to make a rising sun motif for my next project.
    Last edited by RoBoTech; 12-22-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Rwb1500's Avatar
    I'd love to see pics of that Leafstorm in sunlight, looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by Rwb1500 View Post
    I'd love to see pics of that Leafstorm in sunlight, looks good!
    So would I, if we ever have some around here, lol.
    If we can get some decent light, I'll take a couple of better pics.