Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 2081

Thread: Show your mods!

  1. #41
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Simsmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    259
    Nice job jzmtl! What did you use to skeletonize the liners?

  2. #42
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Posts
    1,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Simsmac View Post
    Nice job jzmtl! What did you use to skeletonize the liners?
    Thanks, I used cobalt drill bits and a corded drill to drill, dremel and a few grinding stone to smooth the edge.

  3. #43
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Bluntrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpguitarist View Post
    put scales on my tenacious:


    added a matching backspacer:

    removed the delrin backspacer on my d2 milie:

    took the black off of my clip and gave it a "stonewashed" finish:

    removed the black from my other :

    Love what you did to the Tenacious. Is that Brown Linen Micarta? Do you do these for others or just for yourself?
    Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

    AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
    liveit_loud on Ebay.

  4. #44
    Spyderco Forum Registered User sharpguitarist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    east tn.
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluntrauma View Post
    Love what you did to the Tenacious. Is that Brown Linen Micarta? Do you do these for others or just for yourself?
    thanks!
    it's green linen micarta, even though it does look brown. after a few days of edc, the micarta kinda gets "polished", and darkens.
    i made these scales just to personalize my knife, and i had to do it the hard way. i'm not at all set up to make these, but there are a few around that could probably help you out.
    i used a scroll saw, a drill driver, a rotary tool, a bastard file and sandpaper to make these, primitive compared to what you would need to mass produce scales.
    it was time consuming, but a lot of fun. and now i have a knife that's mine!
    i would suggest trying it for yourself. there are enough folks around these parts that could help coach you through the process.
    give it a shot, you can always put the original scales back on if you're not happy with the results.
    good luck!
    everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.

  5. #45
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Bluntrauma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Posts
    1,338
    Thanks for the tips. That is really one sweet looking knife!
    Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

    AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
    liveit_loud on Ebay.

  6. #46
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,741

    Couple of Delica 4's

    No grinding or any kind of real modding - just switched the blades. The FG needed a thicker blade, so I put my favorite one on it.



    I really like the FFG blades, but would be much happier with a higher flat grind, not full. They seem a bit too bendy to me.

    - best wishes, Jazz.

  7. #47
    Spyderco Forum Registered User unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,831
    My latest work...
    This is the greatest amount of time I have put into a single knife. The inspiration was to create a knife that many would look at and assume to be stock. In other words the modifications should appear to be as if the way the maker would have done had time and money not been a concern.

    I will let you guys decide if I managed to pull it off or not.






    Last edited by unit; 06-05-2010 at 07:26 PM.
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

    ...learning something new all the time.

  8. #48
    Spyderco Forum Registered User ChrisR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,370
    Wow - you can see your face on that back-bar ... did you use a mechanical buffer or just lots of wet&dry, energy and time?
    My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades

  9. #49
    Spyderco Forum Registered User unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Wow - you can see your face on that back-bar ... did you use a mechanical buffer or just lots of wet&dry, energy and time?
    I used both. I used only a mechanical buffer on the clip, but not so much on everything else.

    I made a stand alone album for this knife if anyone wants to see more photos.

    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/album.php
    Last edited by unit; 06-06-2010 at 07:59 AM.
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

    ...learning something new all the time.

  10. #50
    Spyderco Forum Registered User ChrisR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by unit View Post
    I made a stand alone album for this knife if anyone wants to see more photos.
    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/album.php?albumid=59
    I'd love to see them but when I click on the link it asks me to log in (even though I am already logged in) and says I don't have permission to view the page
    My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades

  11. #51
    Spyderco Forum Registered User unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    I'd love to see them but when I click on the link it asks me to log in (even though I am already logged in) and says I don't have permission to view the page
    Aww dang. I am new to the Spyderco photo album feature. I am not sure how to post a link to it.

    Try clicking on the community tab above and go to pictures and albums...perhaps you can search it that way? (if you really want to)

    Will this work?
    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/album.php
    Last edited by unit; 06-06-2010 at 08:01 AM.
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

    ...learning something new all the time.

  12. #52
    Spyderco Forum Registered User ChrisR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by unit View Post
    Try clicking on the community tab above and go to pictures and albums...perhaps you can search it that way? (if you really want to)
    Thanks - found it that way ... I think the correct link should be http://spyderco.com/forums/album.php?albumid=59 but I'm not sure if the link will work.

    Anyway, nice work - you can really appreciate it when it's held next to an original one
    My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades

  13. #53
    Spyderco Forum Registered User unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Thanks - found it that way ... I think the correct link should be http://spyderco.com/forums/album.php?albumid=59 but I'm not sure if the link will work.

    Anyway, nice work - you can really appreciate it when it's held next to an original one
    Thanks...I wish I knew more about that album feature. I am starting to host a lot of my Spyderco photos there and it would be nice to post links to albums for those who are bandwidth-challenged...I guess you do not come to the Picture Gallery Forum if you can not handle the bandwidth though?

    Thanks for the props. In order to REALLY appreciate it you need to hold it in your hand and use it. A good bit of the grinding and polishing took place on the blade. She will pass any cut test I give her at this point. I set a new PR for hair-whittling last night! (Spoken like a true knife geek, LOL)
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

    ...learning something new all the time.

  14. #54
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,741
    Nice job, Unit. Is that rounded off too, or just polished?

    - best wishes, Jazz.

  15. #55
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,741
    Well, I guess this is a mod - my first engraving. There're more pics in General Discussion...





    Thanks for lookin'.

    - best wishes, Jazz.

  16. #56
    Spyderco Forum Registered User unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Nice job, Unit. Is that rounded off too, or just polished?

    - best wishes, Jazz.
    Rounded and polished. This one was tough to photograph...wish I had a good video camera with a macro lense.

    Thanks.

    BTW your engraving job is fantastic!
    Last edited by unit; 06-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

    ...learning something new all the time.

  17. #57
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,741
    Quote Originally Posted by unit View Post
    Rounded and polished. This one was tough to photograph...wish I had a good video camera with a macro lense.

    Thanks.

    BTW your engraving job is fantastic!
    Thank you sir. I really want a camera with macro on it, too. It would make our mods even better. You've inspired me to (maybe) do a bunch of filework on a D4 and maybe I'll change the scales to Stag or something. Thanks for your cool pics!

    - best wishes, Jazz.

  18. #58
    Spyderco Forum Registered User unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Thank you sir. I really want a camera with macro on it, too. It would make our mods even better. You've inspired me to (maybe) do a bunch of filework on a D4 and maybe I'll change the scales to Stag or something. Thanks for your cool pics!

    - best wishes, Jazz.
    Likewise. Your work inspires me, sir.

    I have to figure out what to try next...
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

    ...learning something new all the time.

  19. #59
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Bushbadger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    166
    A pretty simple mod to my latest Para, polished clip (pain in the arse to get the paint off!) and sanded down the rear bump.



  20. #60
    Spyderco Forum Registered User unit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushbadger View Post
    A pretty simple mod to my latest Para, polished clip (pain in the arse to get the paint off!) and sanded down the rear bump.
    Fantastic work!

    Some day I will get back to carrying my PM...
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

    ...learning something new all the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •