Page 102 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2074

Thread: Show your mods!

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Well, after being out of action for a few weeks, I finally got the energy to get back in the shop to do some fiddling around. It sure felt good to get back in the saddle again!

This knife started life as a well-used green Urban that I purchased on one of the Forums. The knife had lots of dirt and gunk inside, but it cleaned and polished up after I disassembled it. I found some really nice snakewood slabs at the Blade show and sliced off some bookmatched scales for this one. Snakewood is a native of northern South America and is closely related to bloodwood and some rosewoods. The wood is very dense and hard on tools - and it is also pretty brittle. I ran into some problems with chip-out when counterboring the holes and had to spend time repairing them. All-in-all, however, it is a very strong wood and works well as the structural member in this unlined knife.

I sanded the scales out to 1200 grit, finished with one light coat of Tru-Oil and topped it with Ren Wax. The wood gets a nice finish without the oil, but I wanted to continue carrying this knife and needed to put a little sealer on the scale to protect it. Also, I've found that oil from the pivot won't leach into the wood as much if you seal the inside of the scales with a light coat.

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User Ned's Avatar
    wow, I love the pattern in that wood. One of these days I'm going to have to try making a set of wood scales yours sure look good Ted, glad to see you're back at it.
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Was bored today so I decided to have a little fun with my chaparral 1. Ill let the pictures do the talking.

Just putting an edge back on her with the wicked edge
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    Very cool dude!

Nice work there.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ourgon's Avatar
    Street Bowie
    Street Beat
    Paramilitary 2
    Starmate 440V
    Police SS
    Endura IV FG
    ClipiTool

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hom76 View Post

Nice, nice work.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Thanks Jack! I really like the grooved CF scales from Cuscadi.

Spyderco Forum Registered User BronislovasLTU's Avatar
    It looks amazing!

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    This is another UKPK which has been sitting on my bench for a while and finally got finished this weekend. This blade came to me as part of a trade and was a user with a few miles on it. I bought a nice block of heavily figured Afzelia Lay at the Blade Show and decided to try it out. Afzelia is a moderately hard and dense wood and this piece isn't stabilized - to be honest, I wasn't sure if the wood was strong enough to act as a structural part of the unlined UKPK. During finishing, I actually broke one of the scales. It turns out that the wood, while hard and dense, is relatively brittle. I went ahead and cut a replacement scale and finished the project because I really like the look of the figure in the wood. Once the knife is assembled, the scales are strong enough to stand up to EDC use. Afzelia also has a reputation for chipping and tear out because of its open interlocking grain. Fortunately, it didn't present any problems during shaping, drilling, or finishing.

The scales are sanded out to 1200 grit. Four coats of a wood sealer/filler was applied, followed by two thin coats of TruOil and a topping of Ren Wax. I wanted to keep some of the grain exposed because I like the character of the wood - otherwise, I would have wet sanded the first coat of the wood sealer.

Cheers!
    TedP

Cool mods guys, I love this thread so bump!
    C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dept_13's Avatar
    Hello!
    Today finished work on the Delica.
    canvas mikarta + carbon ...

Last edited by Dept_13; 07-08-2014 at 05:56 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Wow, I've been away for a few days and missed a lot. I love the grooved carbon fiber, especially the Pingo. Ted's newest wood mod is beautiful, of course. The micarta Delica is awesome! Nice job, Dept 13, and welcome to the forum.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums dept 13! Amazing work done there
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dept_13's Avatar
    Thank you!

So I was really disappointed in the way my Caly 3 was taking a patina, it was developing some very unattractive tones...very dull grey with large dark spots. I decided to go shiny!

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    So I was really disappointed in the way my Caly 3 was taking a patina, it was developing some very unattractive tones...very dull grey with large dark spots. I decided to go shiny!

Beautiful. How did you get what you printed on your blade to reflect off the paper. Some of the print on the blade is clearer than what is on the paper.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    This can happen. Have no fear. Mine went from shiny to patina to shiny to patina to shiny and finally I got a patina I loved. The higher the polish on the blade, the slower the patina will develop the second time.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    How do you guys get this shiny result?????
    Top 3 's: Lum Tanto Folder, Yojimbo 2, Para-Military 2
    Coming Soon Wish List: Yojimbo 2 CF S90V PREORDERED!!! X 2, Kiwi 4, K2, Roadie, Dog Tag Folder, Lum Tanto Fixed
    On The Fence: Rubicon, Roc, PITS, Native 5 (G10), Caly 3.5 CF
    Most recently acquired: Kahr Delica, G10 UKPK's, Black Southard,Para-Military 2 Elmax, Para-Military 2 CTS 2
    Grail: A.T.R.

600 grit silicon carbide paper, then 1500 grit paper, then grey buffing compound, then green buffing compound...lots of elbow grease..then shiny!