Page 94 of 104 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,880 of 2074

Thread: Show your mods!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Robo, how do you get the orange peel texture? Is it just with polishing? Nice, by the way.
    I did what the youTube vid of TuffThumbz had shown. I use a coarse wire wheel, then a light polish.
    You can see it here.

Here are a couple more teasers on my Gold Fluted TI mod. Still waiting for new stand offs and a blade donor. Also trying to find someone to carbodize the lock face.

Will do a final post when I get all the stuff done.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    That looks incredible robo!
    Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Dragonfly 2, Dragonfly 2, Delica 4, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Thank you!
    know of anyone who has a carbonizing machine? I hate to buy one to do 2-3 projects.
    If anyone knows, please PM me.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    This is my latest Spyderco Slipit - a Wharncliffe Urban that was purchased used from one of the Forums. It had been lightly carried, but not sharpened by its original owner. I made a set of scales using a scrap piece of unstabilized rosewood from my local lumber dealer. Trimmed up the board then resawed some 0.125" scale slabs. I sanded them smooth by hand, drilled and counterbored the holes, cut out the profile using a coping saw, then shaped and contoured the scales using files and sandpaper. I finished them by sanding out to 1200 grit and applying 4 thin hand-rubbed coats of Tru-Oil. This was the first time I'd had trouble with Tru-Oil adhering to an oily dense wood like rosewood. After the first coat, I had to sand it back and reapply using a new bottle. The subsequent coats went on smoothly, but I ensured that I rubbed the Tru-Oil in very thin coats and worked the oil into the pores well. It still isn't perfect, but I learned a lesson that I tried on a piece of left-over scrap wood. Next time, I'm going to apply a couple of base coats of Tru-Oil sanding sealer to seal the grain before applying the Tru-Oil as a top coat.

Cheers!
    TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydersense's Avatar
    Another great piece Ted. Nice work!
    Time for another !

-Matt

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Nice, Ted. Looks so smooth.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User USNGMG2's Avatar
    I modified the Superleaf due to someone else's poor attempt. The blade was convexed, the spine now has a bevel and the top plunge line moved to the rear. The blade was polished to 800 grit. The handle was modified fore and aft.

Spyderco Forum Registered User MadRookie's Avatar
    Nice work there Ted!

Wooden scales always seems to warm up a knife a notch or two.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar

Backspacer on my D'fly 2 ironwood handle broke (sad face)

I made this handle with ironwood handle with a birchwood back spacer. The bottom of the backspacer where the lock spring applies pressure broke off inside the handle. I don't think I used enough epoxy right there. I was afraid if I used too much it would squeeze out into the lock spring slot. After it dried I wouldn't be able to insert the lock spring. This time on the new back spacer I made sure I had enough epoxy there as well as I drilled a couple of real small holes through the backspacer under the lockspring slot and into the side of each scale. With the epoxy going all the way through I'm hopeing it will act like a tiny metal rod increasing strength. Anyway, this time I used elephant ivory for the new backspacer. Sorry elephant. I had a small piece in with a bunch of pieces given me by a forum friend. I think it looks pretty good. I hope it lasts forever. This handle may have a super blue blade in it some day.

Here is the new backspacer from the top.

This is the bottom.

This is the handle if you forgot. They don't show up as clear in the picture but this handle is getting quite a few tiny scratches from use and being in the pocket. Character,,, right?
    Last edited by jackknifeh; 04-04-2014 at 08:38 AM.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    I think the Ivory and the scratches enhance the character Jack. Now you need to mirror polish that blade and fully crown the spine.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    I think the Ivory and the scratches enhance the character Jack. Now you need to mirror polish that blade and fully crown the spine.
    Sounds like a challange to me! I'll give it a try. Bet it would look good. Give me 3 minutes.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three.

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Sounds like a challange to me! I'll give it a try. Bet it would look good. Give me 3 minutes.

Jack
    Go...
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Wow, Jack! Your craftsmanship is improving every day. Congrats - that thing is a beauty!

TedP

Dark wood does it!

Nice my man.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    Wow, Jack! Your craftsmanship is improving every day. Congrats - that thing is a beauty!

TedP
    Quote Originally Posted by MadRookie View Post
    Dark wood does it!

Nice my man.

Thanks guys. Actually, I didn't polish it before taking the new pictures because the ironwood didn't really improve much last time by using more than fine grit sandpaper. This time when I put the Dremel, felt wheel and some fine grit compound to work, while the ironwood isn't much better than 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper the ivory is really shining now.

Jack

Spyderco Forum Registered User mark greenman's Avatar
    Super Blue Endura with BOOMER52's custom G10 scales. Steve does amazing work, couldn't be more pleased:

Cool - yep Steve's work is excellent stuff.

The next installment in my wooden Spyderco Slipit collection is a Wharncliffe Urban modified with Sapele scales. Sapele is a member of the mahogany family, and the wood is medium density and fairly hard. It works well with tools, but you have to watch the interlocked grain to prevent tearout. The tiger-stripe grain in this piece is what originally attracted me to the wood. But the hardness compensates for the medium density in regards to the unlined Urban construction. I was originally afraid that the wood would not be strong enough to support the knife - but it works out nicely for a gentleman's knife. Another side benefit is that the total weight of this knife is only 42 grams - down from the stock G10 version which weighs 57g.

As usual, I shaped and contoured the scales by hand, drilling and counterboring the holes on my drill press. Finished it out to 1200 grit, then laid down two coats of TruOil Sanding Sealer, followed by three coats of TruOil and a topping of Ren Wax.

Cheers!
    TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Nice, Ted, of course.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Manbug blade swaps

This is not new and I'm pretty sure I put the frankenmanjesterbug on here but not the manbug created with "leftover" parts. This is a picture of what was my Manbug with VG-10 blade and grey G-10/bolster handle and the ZDP-189 blade and green FRN handle with the blades swapped. I stonewashed the VG-10 blade and lockbar (now in the FRN handle). I ground the ZDP blade to resemble the Jester spine shape. I made red bone scales to replace the G-10 scales. Anyway, here is a picture of them

Side note: I got some ironwood to make scales to replace the red bone. However, I have no motivation to replace the red bone because I like the knife like this. Ironwood is pretty but I think I'll need some REALLY PRETTY wood to consider replacing the bone. Maybe I could use the ironwood to make a handle for the VG-10 blade.

Jack

Afterthought. The Manbug with SB is now on knife center for pre-order. Do I want that knife? If I do, should I put the SB blade in my bolster/red bone handle? What to do, what to do? I do like the ZDP/red bone knife so maybe I need another G-10 Manbug to make scales for and put the SB blade in that one? Whatchathink? I better stop afterthinking.

Geez. Just noticed how much ZDP I have sharpened away. Experimenting with edge angles and playing with that stuff WILL reduce the blade size.
    Last edited by jackknifeh; 04-08-2014 at 08:32 AM.