Page 89 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 2074

Thread: Show your mods!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Good job. I really like the blade. I assume it was the DLC coating. I like the way the grind line (above the hollow part) shows up. Also, the tang stamps really stand out. Did it happen like that just from stonewashing or did you do something else. I don't remember seeing a DLC blade stonewashed before. Looks great. I've tried layered G-10 before and have always been disappointed at the lack of distinction between the two colors. Maybe it's a polishing/finishing thing or maybe it's a different manufacturer. Either way, nice work.

Jack
    I just straight up stonewashed it, took about 3-4 hours to get where it is now... DLC is some tough stuff... I'm happy with it though.

Zero Tolerance recently released a, "blackwash," line for their knives. But the look they get is different than what I got.

Yeah, I think it needs to be a stronger color contrast and maybe 1/16 layers instead of 1/32... Oh, well. Live and learn :P

Thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post
    Souta112' your Manix 2 looks great. Hard to tell if you stonewashed DLC or if you Acid bathed it then stonewashed.
    Thanks xceptnl, appreciate it. But it is in fact stonewashed DLC and to answer your question about the Caly, it was micarta fibers that raised up from the drill bit.

I couldn't wait to share, heh.

To all others who complimented the Caly, thank you very much.
    "Love is not self-sacrifice, but the assertion of your own needs and values. It is for your own happiness that you need the person you love." Ayn Rand

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." Ayn Rand

Three tone delica i cannibalized together after making the CF/red/white one. Also got a zip tie mod. Kind of pic heavy and a bit blown out but couldnt resist

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Very excellent Andrew.

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

This project took 3 attempts to get it right. Now I don't have any complaints and it is in my EDC group.

Notice the first back spacer I made and the one that is there now. The first one had a straight bottom (inside handle) like the original D'fly.

First attempt.

This is how it looks now. The bottom (inside) follows the curve of the blade edge.

FYI: The reason this took 3 tries is the backspacer's thickness being perfectly even is essential for proper operation (and looks). Now I know the perfect thickness needs to be established BEFORE gluing to either side of the handle. Sanding C-TEK this thin makes it extremely fragile. I wanted to glue the backspacer to one side of the handle before sanding it this thin so the material wouldn't flex causing it to seperate where the aluminum "walls" are.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    Very nice, Jack. I hate learning the hard way, but now you have wisdom - from yourself, not a book, or someone else.
    Your keypad's cool, too.
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    Really cool!
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xceptnl View Post

Beyond outstanding!!!
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User LC Kid's Avatar

Thumbs up

Absolutely Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Stay Sharp!

My new to me dragonfly. Should I bead blast the blade, fellow spydienuts?

Awesome Dfly jackknifeh, how easy/hard is ctek to work with? My curiosity is piqued on this material...
    "Love is not self-sacrifice, but the assertion of your own needs and values. It is for your own happiness that you need the person you love." Ayn Rand

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws." Ayn Rand

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jazz's Avatar
    ^ Well, the handle looks pretty cool, so why not?
    - best wishes, Jazz.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Nothing special here, but I got my STR lowrider to fit into the clip recess of the Zulu handles. I shaved the G10 under the clip foldover, and ground the sides of the ti clip to get to fit in there. Like the results and this knife carries much better now.

Untitled by senorsquare, on Flickr

Spyderco Forum Registered User ourgon's Avatar

Ti Military Cru-Wear Swap

Here is my Spyderco Military Ti. I purchased it already orange peeled, tip up clip drilled and tapped with Ti clip, and a carbonized lock face. I orange peeled the back spacer (still looking for spool stand offs in .165").
    I also swapped the CPM Cru-Wear blade from a Military Sprint to make a Ti Cru-Wear. Blade centering and lock up, perfection.

OD Green Military

Here is what I did with the leftovers of the cru-wear swap. Made another Military in S30V. I Rit dyed the Gray G-10, in two stages, an OD Green. I will replace the polished clip with a black one, when I find it. I thought I had one, but I used it on another project, so only had another polished clip. So that will change to match the back spacer, black.

Spyderco Forum Registered User senorsquare's Avatar
    Excellent work RoBoTech! Those are some lovely looking Millies you have there. I like the looks of the satin clip on the green military, but I'm sure black will look nice too.

Here is my new Kwaiken Ti flipper.
    I had the scales and back spacer anodized a High polish Random Pattern by TiSurvival. I flame colored the pivot, clip, and screws a gold. Flips like butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Souta112` View Post
    My new to me dragonfly. Should I bead blast the blade, fellow spydienuts?

Awesome Dfly jackknifeh, how easy/hard is ctek to work with? My curiosity is piqued on this material...
    If you bead blast the blade you have quite the resharpening job ahead of you. I assume it will destroy the edge just like stonewashing does. Maybe you could cover the edge with tape or something. I've tried tape when stonewashing but it comes off. I've never done a serrated edge but I'd think you need to protect it somehow.

Thanks on the D'fly. I love c-tek but it has a couple of quirks. Maybe just one. The material is "whatever the stuff is" with aluminum "walls". Inside the walls is called a cell. The cells come in different sizes. 1/16", 1/8" and 1/4". Once on my Sage4 and once on a Jester one of the cells popped off and away from the aluminum wall. I was able to fix the Sage scale by gluing the piece back in. It popped out before it was shaped so it turned out great. But if it happens after a knife is finished it would be more difficult to repair mainly. I have wondered how this stuff would react if you drop the knife. This happened on the Sage4 at the rear of the bottom of the handle where it comes to a bit of a point. The same on the Jester. The material needs some support. That is why I used the G-10 liner on the D'fly. Epoxy a slab of c-tek to the liner and when you shape it the c-tek holds up much better. Even after it's finished and if you drop it. My Sage4 scales don't have any liner but they are out of 1/4" cell c-tek and much thicker than the Jester was. I used 1/16" cell c-tek for my son's Jester and ended up giving up. A Jester scale is just too thin to use c-tek. But maybe there's a work-a-round to use thin pieces. BTW, the backspacer for the D'fly was a pain because it is so thin with no liner on either side. It is REAL fragile. On this type of handle maybe a back spacer of something else (G-10?) would be a wiser option. But, c-tek can be ordered in just about any color (even clear) and at any translucency level. This leaves us with unbelievable options. Clear with a liner of whatever color you want. Bright red about half see through. All sorts of options. The scales on my Sage4 don't have liners so you can see through it if the light is bright enough. I'll get some pics. I have a picture of a BEAUTIFUL straight razor somebody made. I'll try to put it here to see. Sorry, it's not a Spyderco straight razor. What I have used so far is from free sample material the company gave me. This stuff would really be great for fixed blade handles I think because of the larger pieces. I don't think is is that reliable for small, very thin scales like a Jester. I wanted to do my Manbug but now I don't know. It cuts and shapes very easy. It's like soft to medium hardness wood. NOTHING like micarta or epoxy type material. I use Dremel accessories and sandpaper. You need sandpaper as fine as 1500 or 2000 to get it really polished then use a small piece of leather to polish it. I used small, finger sized pieces of leather with strop compound or spray and use my fingers to polish it. The felt Dremel polishing things don't work as well as leather for me so far. But I'm just learning about this stuff. Get with the manufacturing company for options. (http://www.compositecraftinc.com/) They have been great to deal with so far and I bet they get even better when I send them some money. USAknifemakers.com has some but only limited color options but I haven't looked there for a few months. I haven't bought any yet but I don't think it is expensive.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTech View Post
    Here is my Spyderco Military Ti. I purchased it already orange peeled, tip up clip drilled and tapped with Ti clip, and a carbonized lock face. I orange peeled the back spacer (still looking for spool stand offs in .165").
    I also swapped the CPM Cru-Wear blade from a Military Sprint to make a Ti Cru-Wear. Blade centering and lock up, perfection.
    That is handsome in the extreme...!!! NICE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTech View Post
    Here is my new Kwaiken Ti flipper.
    I had the scales and back spacer anodized a High polish Random Pattern by TiSurvival. I flame colored the pivot, clip, and screws a gold. Flips like butter.
    That is OUT-STAN-DAMNDING...!!! A real beaut...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BOOMER52 View Post
    That is OUT-STAN-DAMNDING...!!! A real beaut...!!!
    thank you.
    Afraid to carry it, tho, LOL.
    The Militarys will be users, not safe queens. The OD Green Military is in my pocket, right now.