Thread: CTS-XHP steel

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spydie-50's Avatar

CTS-XHP steel

Just wondering how people who are lucky enough to own a Manix 2 w/CTS-XHP steel feel about there knives?

Thanks

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Sharpens like 154CM, cuts like S90V. I accidentally wound up with two and decided to keep the 'oops' in spite of not really needing to sink money in a spare knife because I like the knife chassis and the blade steel enough to justify (in my mind) keeping (in Yab's words) a "pre-need replacement." Right now, that one is on my top three folders list, with the Gayle Bradley and a small Sebenza. There is a long thread here with various more detailed user reports.

Spyderco Forum Registered User mikerestivo's Avatar
    I used mine a bit. It probably needs to be touched up a tad, but so far, no complaints.

Thanks for the info Vassili
    I found the other thread, should have searched it. I enjoy the passion that others share in this hobby, and glad to read all the info and opinions provided.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    it performs better than ZDP, S110V and S90V? that's hard to believe, wow. What's the Rc of CTS-XHP? I want to learn more about this steel
    LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C1 0GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
    C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90C F|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
    BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    I hope to try that steel!
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Spyderco Forum Registered User WireEdge Roger's Avatar
    This will be my 3rd week EDCing the CTS-XHP Manix 2. I've used it for everything I can. Slicing up cardboard, whittling sticks, cutting out dandelions from the yard (not digging in the dirt), food prep, and I've cycled it about a thousand times watching TV Last night I touched it up on the white stones on the SM and it only took about 5 passes on each side to get it back to hair flinging sharp.

I've tried to tarnish it by leaving it wet and grimy. I even cut up an orange and left the juice on the blade for several hours. No discoloration yet. It's really stainless stuff!

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTEC View Post
    it performs better than ZDP, S110V and S90V? that's hard to believe, wow. What's the Rc of CTS-XHP? I want to learn more about this steel
    I'm not sure I'd peg it higher than well-hardened and well-ground ZDP and definitely not than S110V. It's a little hard to compare without a comparable blade, though.

in your videos, S90V seems a lot sharper to me, must be some variation of edge polishing
    LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C1 0GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
    C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90C F|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
    BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP

Quote Originally Posted by WireEdge Roger View Post
    This will be my 3rd week EDCing the CTS-XHP Manix 2. I've used it for everything I can. Slicing up cardboard, whittling sticks, cutting out dandelions from the yard (not digging in the dirt), food prep, and I've cycled it about a thousand times watching TV Last night I touched it up on the white stones on the SM and it only took about 5 passes on each side to get it back to hair flinging sharp.

I've tried to tarnish it by leaving it wet and grimy. I even cut up an orange and left the juice on the blade for several hours. No discoloration yet. It's really stainless stuff!
    Thanks for your post Roger,
    Good to hear how it works in real world situations.

I presume Spyderco has finished shipping all available CTS-XHP Manix 2's to the dealers? I missed out on the blue Manix, and thought I had ordered this one in time (seems like over a month ago, back when people were still reporting receiving theirs) but mine is still on back-order at KC .

Oh well, I have been pretty happy with my regular Manix 2, especially considering the price, and it looks like there will be no shortage of other neat knives coming from Spyderco to take all my available money .

Spyderco Forum Registered User Reeper22's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodloos View Post
    I presume Spyderco has finished shipping all available CTS-XHP Manix 2's to the dealers? I missed out on the blue Manix, and thought I had ordered this one in time (seems like over a month ago, back when people were still reporting receiving theirs) but mine is still on back-order at KC .

Oh well, I have been pretty happy with my regular Manix 2, especially considering the price, and it looks like there will be no shortage of other neat knives coming from Spyderco to take all my available money .
    I heard a second shipment was coming to some dealers but I don't know how accurate that is. I would call some of the major online dealers and ask them.
    Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    Seems as if I recall hearing that Eric and Sal had ok'ed extending production up to maybe 1000 units? I was under the belief that it would take some time to make the extra units as production in Golden is a resource that has to be scheduled ahead of time. Deciding to put off deadlines for projects in the schedule and promised is not a thing that keeps the larger customers returning. Deadlines have to be met, but the knives will be made.

So, If you are back ordered at somewhere like KC, you will get your knife eventually. How many get shipped and when are things the dealers will hear about before we do.

It seems like someone said it might be near summer before all are completed. Going from 250 to a 1000 is a pretty large jump.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    good news for me too!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Agent_Ohm's Avatar
    Love this knife. The ergos are perfect for my hand size and i love the grippyness of the G10.

P.S. anyone know what animal this skull could come from?
    Dan

In omnia paratus

Looks like a cat to me; the skull, that is.