Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Delica for defense

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Well, that put that in proper perspective. We do have some eskrimadors and arnisadors in our small town and we try to make the best of it.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    KaliGman is right Chuck...Count your Blessings....Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User 224477's Avatar
    Chuck, make a trip to Manila, Luneta park...
    "Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 224477 View Post
    Chuck, make a trip to Manila, Luneta park...
    maybe one of these days, I don't have much business in Manila. I'm not such a fan of cramming a months worth of training in a week though.
    Last edited by chuck_roxas45; 04-21-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    As my first act on these forums I'm resurrecting this very interesting thread

My question is: What about stabbing?

In my experience, very often during a fight scenario with an aggressive attacker, the distance is closed and the fight turns into grappling (often on the ground). Then, often the most readily available knife attack is an upward stab with the edge down, putting a lot of force on the spine. Would the lock on a Delica stand up the that kind of force? Have any of you guys seen the Delica trainer close accidentally during training?

And what about repeated stabbings? Would the blood act as a lubricant and cause the lock to disengage?

Quote Originally Posted by AH2525 View Post
    I know there are more "purpose built" defensive knives than the Delica, but in terms of being inconspicuous, readily available, etc. I was wondering 2 things:

1. Are there any resources (videos, books, articles, etc.) focused on the delica for self-defense carry?

and

2. What are other folks opinion(s) of this choice?

Thanks everybody,

Tom
    You might also consider a salt 1. It is very similar to a delica, but the blade is thicker than the delica's and H1 steel is very tough. A salt 1 is a good, inconspicuous option for last ditch defense.
    Last edited by wvguy8258; 08-27-2011 at 02:14 PM.

I have to admit the design of the Delica, even though I have one on me right now, has never assured me about stabbing security. I can't picture stabbing any object with it without my hand slipping toward the blade, even with a solid grip. Just seems too slippery, while for cutting it excels and I trust it considerably. Anyone with experience mind assuring or correcting me on this?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wvguy8258 View Post
    You might also consider a salt 1. It is very similar to a delica, but the blade is thicker than the delica's and H1 steel is very tough. A salt 1 is a good, inconspicuous option for last ditch defense.
    Salt 1 and Delica both have 2.5mm blades and, while I'm not knocking unlined FRN, the Delica's steel liners may give it a bit of added stability. If I wanted to carry either for SD, I'd value penetration over tip strength so I'd rework the spine at the tip to create a more acute "old school Delica" style point. However, as with many things, YMMV on that one.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The only way to kill a zombie thread is a stab to the brain .

Seriously though, people overthink this. People are the flabbiest weakest species per pound with the exception of maybe jellyfish.

The tip and lock will far survive an encounter unless you're fighting a robot. The lock should stand to over 300 pounds of force and as mentioned your hitting skin and bones not cement and steel. The tip is going into whatever soft object easier than your grip will lose ground.

I don't know at what point a quality folder's lock will fail after repeated stabbings. I wouldn't want to know. It sure wouldnt fail due to blood lubrication .

Any knife or tool can be used for defense. I would train avoidance and technique over the tool. 3" of sharp steel is more than sufficient as most attacks are done with makeshift blades like box cutters.

Edit: to plug Spyderco's heftier line of locks there are plenty exceeding 200lbs/inch ratings. The compression and ball bearing lock as two examples. The Para2/Superleaf/Manix2/Yojimbo2 (coming out this year) all exceed 600lbs ratings and include generous ergonomics with grippy handles.
    Last edited by Blerv; 08-27-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

Delica for defense

Hey Tom,

New user with a few different knives for that purpose. Have you seen what a box cutter will do to an arm? fred Perrin uses small blades very effectively and the main thing is confidence in what you do have at the time. A longer blade means more reach but with no experiance it may not matter. I live in a very violent place in Mexico (im a US citizen) Ive been chased down in traffic twice and my wife and I excaped a robbery attempt in our car. If you cant carry a gun then a knife is much better than a mean look right? I trust in God bur i carry a Spyderco almost everywhere I go. I hope and pray to never have to need the blade , but even the apostle Peter carried a sword so I guess my Spidie will work too. The main thing is to practice withdrawing your knife in an extreme situation and since this is hard to do then just practice with whatever you choose in the end. A spyderco knife is quality and you can trust on it to work when you need it. I carry a police in G10 sometimes or my Embassy auto sometimes and am awaiting a Fred Parrin Street Beat sheath knife. Hope this helps you,

churro68

Spyderco Forum Registered User Jet B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by folkilsk View Post
    As my first act on these forums I'm resurrecting this very interesting thread

My question is: What about stabbing?

In my experience, very often during a fight scenario with an aggressive attacker, the distance is closed and the fight turns into grappling (often on the ground). Then, often the most readily available knife attack is an upward stab with the edge down, putting a lot of force on the spine. Would the lock on a Delica stand up the that kind of force? Have any of you guys seen the Delica trainer close accidentally during training?

And what about repeated stabbings? Would the blood act as a lubricant and cause the lock to disengage?

Hey! Thanks for the thread necro.

Mr. Janich and KaliGman had some very interesting comments in there. I enjoyed reading through it all.

I might pick up some of Mr. Janich's literature.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifestyle View Post
    I have to admit the design of the Delica, even though I have one on me right now, has never assured me about stabbing security. I can't picture stabbing any object with it without my hand slipping toward the blade, even with a solid grip. Just seems too slippery, while for cutting it excels and I trust it considerably. Anyone with experience mind assuring or correcting me on this?
    Having personal experience with many, many "stabbings" I can assure you that a grand majority of the time it's a non-starter. Once in a while someone gets lucky and I've even seen some that I suspect were perpetrated by someone with some heavy training, but in most cases it just does not end the fight. If you think (god forbid) you might ever use it for SD, get some training.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JNewell's Avatar
    Welcome. Your points are correct. We in the U.S. have very recently had a chance to remember how effective tools like box cutters can be. "Optimal" and "highly effective" are not necessarily the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by churro68 View Post
    Hey Tom,

New user with a few different knives for that purpose. Have you seen what a box cutter will do to an arm? fred Perrin uses small blades very effectively and the main thing is confidence in what you do have at the time. A longer blade means more reach but with no experiance it may not matter. I live in a very violent place in Mexico (im a US citizen) Ive been chased down in traffic twice and my wife and I excaped a robbery attempt in our car. If you cant carry a gun then a knife is much better than a mean look right? I trust in God bur i carry a Spyderco almost everywhere I go. I hope and pray to never have to need the blade , but even the apostle Peter carried a sword so I guess my Spidie will work too. The main thing is to practice withdrawing your knife in an extreme situation and since this is hard to do then just practice with whatever you choose in the end. A spyderco knife is quality and you can trust on it to work when you need it. I carry a police in G10 sometimes or my Embassy auto sometimes and am awaiting a Fred Parrin Street Beat sheath knife. Hope this helps you,

churro68