Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child-safe knife storage?

Spyderco Forum Registered User iwolf81's Avatar

Child-safe knife storage?

Now that my baby is starting to stand and can reach the top of my night stand, I need to retire my EDC tray and find a way to safely store my growing collection of Spydie folders, Atwood tools, and flashlights. (Yes, I like gadgets.)

I was looking at the Spydiepac and other similar knife cases, but I would prefer to stay away from noisy Velcro. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good storage case that is child-safe, but allows for easy selection of EDC gadgets for the day?

Thanks,
    Ira
    D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    multi task with that leather strop

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    a tool box. if you want something nicer you can get the wooden ones that are lockable.
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

Spyderco Forum Registered User sharpguitarist's Avatar
    i use aluminium cases designed for multiple handguns. i have several single sided and double sided lockable cases that i store my knives in. they're durable and portable, and the foam inside gives my knives a nice cushioned place to rest. knives of different brands/type can be segregated to different cases. A+ for the strop sugestion too!
    Last edited by sharpguitarist; 03-26-2010 at 11:33 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Quick Draw's Avatar
    I use a tackle box with lift up trays to store my knives. It'll hold about 30 knives plus I can put a lock on it to keep my 3 year old son from getting to them.
    Current Spydie Count 21

Spyderco Forum Registered User iwolf81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cckw View Post
    multi task with that leather strop
    My first thought was "huh???", but then I recalled my dad's 3" police belt.

Ira
    D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley

Some of the larger Pelican cases have built in locks or holes for locks.

Latest -- Knifeworks Ti/G10 Military

If you have lots of knives, a locked chest or cabinet would work. Then get a "night-table" size gun safe with coded,lit access buttons for your EDCs. You can buy a good one for about $100.

Spyderco Forum Registered User THE PUNISHER's Avatar
    how bout a bucket with a lid.............
    <--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
    DO NOT TRUST YOUR LIFE TO A POS

Quote Originally Posted by iwolf81 View Post
    My first thought was "huh???", but then I recalled my dad's 3" police belt.

Ira
    Hahaha, I just got it too.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    For keeping toddlers out one or more plastic shoe boxes on a high enough shelf would suffice.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

my buddy thought that would work with his shotgun till he watched his kids climb...lol. he now has a keyed closet.
    My knives

I have one of these on top of my dresser -- great organizer for many knives as well as other general "man" stuff for edc.

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/toolchests/52.htm

Forgot to add -- they are very expensive new but can be found in antique shops etc. The one I have is a vintage one that my brother refelted/cleaned up and gave to me for Xmas one year.
    Last edited by bammann45; 03-26-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Those Gerstners are very nice. I never thought of looking for used one; good idea.
    I bought a similar, but cheap, chest at Lowe's. The top compartment locks, but the drawers do not.

Spyderco Forum Registered User unit's Avatar
    I suggest having a look at Gerstner Oak Chests (some are lock-able). If I could find the right spot for one, I would have one already. I think these are fantastic looking, but they do not fit the decor of my home (my fantastic wife has very few demands, but decorating is one), and it would be a shame to put a wooden chest in the closet.

For now, I keep my meager collection in my top dresser drawer which has a lock....though my kids are old enough to respect my knives and my cautions to never touch them when I am not around to supervise.
    Thanks,
    Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by bammann45 View Post
    I have one of these on top of my dresser -- great organizer for many knives as well as other general "man" stuff for edc.

http://www.gerstnerusa.com/toolchests/52.htm
    that is exactly what i was thinking of when posted earlier. thanks for the link.
    My knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User ozspyder's Avatar
    Those Gerstners are awesome and have been eyeballibg them for a couple of years now. Unfortunately unavailable here in Oz unless I want to pay a few hundred dollars in shipping

personally my collection resides in a locked cupboard and safe. The EDC hoard is kep in a couple of drawers
    Cheers
    Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)

I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
    * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *

Spyderco Forum Registered User Brad S.'s Avatar
    Im a fan of the Pelican case idea with the pick and pluck foam. Easy safe storage, lockable, can be hidden, and easy to take with you if your hitting the road and wanna show some friends some cool gear.
    Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23

what about some kinda of wall hanging system, out of reach of course

Spyderco Forum Registered User markg's Avatar
    Go to Wal-Mart and get one of those handgun wall mounted safes. They are about 2'x2'. They can mount on a wall or you can just set them on something. They come with 3 padded shelves and key lock. They fun about $40.

The added plus, if you mount it, then it gives you an added level of security from theft too.