Thread: Kershaw in CPM 110V

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Kershaw in CPM 110V

So i used to be a big kershaw fan til the bug got me. Well i found something kershaw offers that spyderco doesn't CPM 110V steel. It's a variant on the shallot but it comes combo edge. Anyone have this knife? The Price is pretty decent on certain websites and i mean under $75 before shipping. Is $85 a decent price to test this stuff out. Unfortunately it'll be hollow grind i'm sure and combo edge is a drawback but it is a 3.5" edge and it looks like maybe only 1" is actually serrated. Decisions Decisions.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    I have a couple of PE models. It's a great steel, and Kershaw makes excellent knives. It was kept to a basic steel handle to keep costs down, so with my clumsy hands ( clamps?) I chose to put grip tape on it.

S110V is a bit above the S90V steel it was derived from in pure wear resistance. Of cxourse heat treat, temper, final hardness will make a bigger difference than the chemistry here. The S110V has the chemistry to be run harder than S90V, with Phil Wilson stating he was able to get RC63-64 out of it without any weakness or chippyness of the edge. At that high of a hardness it's in the 10V, S125V class wear resistance wise. He runs the S90V at RC61, still nothing to scoff at.

Kershaw ran the batch about RC58-59 to the best of my knowledge. It does well even at that. So does S90V though. I'm not sure how much different it is at RC58 from S90V at the same hardness. At higher RC's, the difference is reportedly substantial.

Grab one while you can. I don't imagine they will get any more available in the future, and had thought no more was being made.

Like S90V, or ZDP it's a true super steel IMO. It's classed as a Stainless tool steel, and yes, it is made with the powder process.
    Last edited by The Mastiff; 12-10-2009 at 02:27 AM.
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    Kershaw ran the batch about RC58-59 to the best of my knowledge. It does well even at that. So does S90V though. I'm not sure how much different it is at RC58 from S90V at the same hardness. At higher RC's, the difference is reportedly substantial.
    That's interesting, Kershaw seems to run their steel on the soft side. The ZDP shallot was reported only 62ish.

I just so happened to find a few places that still had em they did them in 500 each. 500 PE and 500 CE. I can't find the PEs anywhere so i'm going to try the CE and see how it does. My S90V manix 2 is my go to knife so i'll see how this does against it when it comes in. I only paid like $61 shipped so it's not that bad to test the steel.

i have a 110 shallot and gave a second to a friend-nice knife-good steel imho

Well it came in today. Pretty solid knife too. I like it just don't know if i can say it'll kick the S90V manix out of my pocket. It'll hold me over til spyderco makes a knife out of CPM 110V i geuss.