Thread: Is hair clipper oil OK to use then?

Is hair clipper oil OK to use then?

I know some swear by Tuf-Glide, but is regular Andis or Wahl hair clipper oil, which contains petroleum distillates? I think, OK to use?

Thanks!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    well, its what I've always used on mine... haven't had a problem to date.

Spyderco Forum Registered User dd61999's Avatar
    I believe it is just mineral oil.

Someone correct me if I am wrong

Generic 'food grade' mineral oil ('mineral oil, u.s.p.') is probably going to be more economical at the local rite-aid than a 'branded' mineral oil (and the food grade stuff will not go rancid on you if want to cut food with your Spydie). Just my .02

Mineral oil, I have a bottle of the baby type (johnson & johnson or whatever) smells DIFFERENTLY than the Wahl or Andis clipper oil...maybe its just a scent added to it...

I tried the mineral oil on my Native III, and it somehow made it tighter and harder to open...the Andis clipper oil made it right again, so I'm leaning towards it to use, but just want to be sure...

I don't generally use my knives to cut food...just stuff that comes up around house etc (always exciting when it does)

Spyderco Forum Registered User jujigatame's Avatar
    I'd imagine the clipper lubrication products may to be made to optimize performance under sustained friction and the accompanying heat, which is not the kind of situation you'll encounter with routine use of a pocket knife. That said, I can't think of a reason of the top of my head not to use it, so if it works well in your experience then I don't see why you shouldn't.
    ~ Nate

Spyderco Forum Registered User Noble's Avatar
    I use plain old mineral oil on mine. Im not sure if the clipper oil is the same stuff, but, my mineral oil is scentless (rather doesnt smell at all like the baby kind) and it does a very fine job if I need to wipe my blades down. Makes a nice even coat when storing my blades, even after wiping the excess off, the layer left behind does nicely. For moving parts, I just make sure they are grit free, thats the best way for me as there is no lube to soak up grime.
    The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.

Quote Originally Posted by jujigatame View Post
    I'd imagine the clipper lubrication products may to be made to optimize performance under sustained friction and the accompanying heat, which is not the kind of situation you'll encounter with routine use of a pocket knife. That said, I can't think of a reason of the top of my head not to use it, so if it works well in your experience then I don't see why you shouldn't.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble View Post
    I use plain old mineral oil on mine. Im not sure if the clipper oil is the same stuff, but, my mineral oil is scentless (rather doesnt smell at all like the baby kind) and it does a very fine job if I need to wipe my blades down. Makes a nice even coat when storing my blades, even after wiping the excess off, the layer left behind does nicely. For moving parts, I just make sure they are grit free, thats the best way for me as there is no lube to soak up grime.
    I agree, the only issue I ever had with non scented mineral oil (the stuff I have, I checked) is that it seemed to swell the Native III's movement somehow....but it DOES leave a nice coating on the blades like you say...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Doc Pyres's Avatar
    I use generic brand, scentless mineral oil on all my knives, Native included, and it works fine. I've never had any problems, but I guess if you got some lint stuck to it, it could affect the action. Dry lubes get around that issue if you're not worried about food prep.

Thanks....what is a dry lube then??

Quote Originally Posted by patrickbateman View Post
    Thanks....what is a dry lube then??
    Isn't the Tuf-Glide you mentioned in your opening post a dry lube? I'm no expert, because I use mostly mineral oil, but I used some Tuf-Glide some years back, and it dried to a non-sticky kind of silicon coating. I think it would be classed as a 'dry lube'.

When I first got into the only lube I had around the house was some old clipper oil that I got with a Panasonic hair clipper. It worked but not very well. I prefer the mineral oil I switched to, but a decent brand of clipper oil should be just fine. I don't really know what was in that Panasonic bottle.
    Last edited by Doc Pyres; 10-31-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User angusW's Avatar
    I forget where I read it, but someone mentioned using olive oil for their knives. I usually use Tuf-Glide but there have been times when I've wanted to cut up some fruit and had to go find another knife. So mineral oil sounds like a decent coating for blades.

Thanks to all....I'm thinking either mineral oil or a clipper oil is fine then I guess...seems to be at least...

No one has really said USE TUF-GLIDE AND NOTHING ELSE on our beloved spydies, so I'll continue on!

Thanks again.

Spyderco Forum Registered User MCM's Avatar
    yes...

More S90v & CF please.......

I have used gun oil on my knives,which works wonders,and i actualy like the smell of it. I once used reel oil for fishing reels and things became sticky..the gun oil works superb..guess any thin machine oil where repeated friction is involved would work superbly.to me friction between moving metal parts causes more wear on a foldingknife than worry's about corrosion and the wear thereof..specialy on lockback folders..WRT vertical bladeplay etc..i think clipper oil is perfect..
    Last edited by MANIXWORLD; 11-01-2009 at 05:05 AM.

Awesome thanks!

I've used 3 in 1 oil, graphite, White Lightning(dry lube for bicycle chains - goes on wet), Militec, and gun oil. Use just enough to lube it up and be careful to get the excess off and you should be fine. All have worked for me. When I use oil, I have to clean off the excess several times over dozens of open/close cycles to get it the way I like it.

I would worry about olive oil getting rancid. If you're worried about the lube getting in your food(I'm not, I only put it on the pivot) then food grade mineral oil would be my choice.

Gordon