Thread: Disassembly

Spyderco Forum Registered User Wanderer's Avatar

Disassembly

Hey guys,
    I am wondering if it will void the warranty to disassemble my Endura 4. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

The Wanderer
    The Wanderer
    Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prov. 27:17

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    It will not void the warranty, however, the warranty does not cover anything you damage during disassembly or reassembly. So if you do it wrong and ruin the backspacer (which a number of people have done) you'll have to either buy a parts kit or pay for the repairs if you have to send it in.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Wanderer's Avatar
    Do you recommend any particular threads or sources of info on disassembly and reassembly?
    The Wanderer
    Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prov. 27:17

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    There is not much to it for disassembly, just don't lose any parts.

The key to reassemble is to put the handle together first WITHOUT pivot and blade. Now loosen the handle screws a bit so the two halves separate a little. Insert pivot bolt half way, depress lock bar, slide first washer, blade, and second washer. Now tighten everything and you are good to go.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Murdoc's Avatar
    Well, it is the same as dis-and reassembling a Delica.

So, I suggest you read the thread started by Wouter:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30875

On the top of the second page, I added a way to make the reassembly easier.

You should be fine after reading that thread.

Just don't touch that Torx drivers until you really need to!

Dennis

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Do keep in mind that just because something CAN be taken apart does not mean it should be. Unless there's some legitimate reason to disassemble a knife, or unless someone is both mechanically inclined and skilled enough to figure it out for themself, it is probably not a good idea. Enough folks have messed up Delicas and Enduras tinkering with them that Spyderco found it necessary to sell rebuild kits.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Do keep in mind that just because something CAN be taken apart does not mean it should be. Unless there's some legitimate reason to disassemble a knife, or unless someone is both mechanically inclined and skilled enough to figure it out for themself, it is probably not a good idea. Enough folks have messed up Delicas and Enduras tinkering with them that Spyderco found it necessary to sell rebuild kits.
    Well said, Deacon. I agree!

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad310 View Post
    Well said, Deacon. I agree!

Make that 3 of us.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Hehe, there are lots of bone heads like me who take stuff apart because we can, and can put them back together, most of the time anyway.

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    I've taken a lot of stuff apart over the years, often because it was broken anyway. I've fabricated replacements for broken parts and reassembled most of what I've dismantled. I can't even say how many times I've constructed special tools to reassemble things after I discovered they weren't meant to be taken apart outside the factory where they were made to begin with. I have complete confidence in my ability to disassemble and reassemble my D4s and E4s. But in spite of everything I put my knives through, I've yet to encounter a reason for doing so.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.