Thread: Pacific Salt 1 Review

Spyderco Forum Registered User FLYBYU44's Avatar
    in the wilds of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Pacific Salt 1 Review

I've been eyeing up a Salt 1 PE for a while now, finally pulled the trigger on one here the other day. Just recieved it today and it is an impressive knife. For the last month or so I've been EDCing a Kershaw OD-1. I've cut out the liner on it so that it weighs in at 3oz, not much, but you still notice it there. The Salt 1 weighs in at 1.9oz on my scale, which is very light, you really don't notice it there at all. The handle is linerless FRN with volcano grip molded in. The blade is a sheepfoot style blade with a high hollow grind on it. The lack of a point doesn't seem to be an issue with the thinner blade, it cuts really nice right up to the tip. Fit and finish were excellant and lock up is solid with no play in any direction. The handle is very comfortable and fits my larger hand well. I really like the larger then average Spydie hole, it fits the arc of my thumb perfectly and opens better then any of my other Spydies except my Lava. My only knock on the whole design is the pocket clip, it seems it's bent poorly and really takes effort to clip onto my pocket, also it comes with the ugly black coating Spyderco is so fond of putting on. You'll notice in my pic that mine is now missing this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    This knife doesn't have liners at all, correct?
    Review your Spyderco

A quest to collect a large database of knife reviews. 1118 reviews and counting...now with kitchen knives!

Would you have a pic of the knife from the other side as well? Will you be doing a rust test? I'm seriously considering getting one too...

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Can't be sure, but from the photo that looks more like a Salt I than a Pacific Salt. Not sure what's up with the clips, the older titanium ones were bent correctly, but a lot of folks lately have been complaining about the newer ones being too flat.

None of the Salt series knives have liners. Aside from the all stainless H-1 Mariner, they all have unlined FRN handles. Folks have tried their damnedest to get these knives to rust, to date, nobody has succeeded. Short of subjecting them to acid or alkali which would eat your flesh and bones long before it would damage the knife, there's really no way to make it corrode.

That's not to guarantee you will never see rust ON an H-1 blade. It's just to say that, if you do, it will be small particles of some other steel which were deposited on the blade during sharpening or polishing that are rusting, not the blade itself, so it will wipe right off.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Sorry, it is the Salt 1 not the Pacific Salt. No liners on this one at all. I can probably post a pic of the other side today sometime. I don't plan on a rust test because I think we all know how it would end I will however use it regularly and simply wash it off instead of oiling the blade like my other knives.

Spyderco Forum Registered User spydutch's Avatar
    Receiveived my Salt/SE yesterday and I found the clip too flat as well, so it isn't just me.
    But since I carry clipless in back pocket nowadays it's no issue for me
    Enjoy that one
    Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal)

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge

Thanks for making me the Avatar, Dialex

Hope you enjoy your knife. Reports for the model have ben good.

We've been working on the tooling for the bending of the clips. Stamp / bending of titanium does present its challenges. We think we have the answer, but the change will take a while to know.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by SlideTechnik View Post
    This knife doesn't have liners at all, correct?
    Yup, no liners.

It took someone running over a Salt stuck upright in the ground with a small excavator to break the handle, though, so no worries about strength.
    Newest in hand: Breeden Rescue, Dyad, Sage 3

Spyderco Forum Registered User Seanski's Avatar
    I've no complaints about the clip on my pacific. I quite like it actually. It's not so stiff so it makes it just about the right tension for on and off the pocket.
    About the only thing I wish I had gotten and probably will fairly shortly will be the serrated Pacific.
    Use your blades in the kitchen, it's great bonding time!

Spyderco Forum Registered User clovisc's Avatar
    in my opinion, liners on spyderco's FRN knives are superfluous. that FRN is a wonderous material!

hope you enjoy your salt I for many years to come! the edge retention will only get better and better the more you use and sharpen it!

This is one of many Salts I've owned and this is by far my favorite. The linerless FRN is what draws me in, really, really light weight knife, but super tough as well. This one is just perfect except the clip, but it is getting better with use.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Hope you enjoy your knife. Reports for the model have ben good.

We've been working on the tooling for the bending of the clips. Stamp / bending of titanium does present its challenges. We think we have the answer, but the change will take a while to know.

sal
    I fount out the hard way that when you try to bent Ti. it...snaps. Ordered a new Ti. clip, and it fits better than the original did. Took the paint off, bare Ti. looks great.

Spyderco Forum Registered User fede's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad310 View Post
    I fount out the hard way that when you try to bent Ti. it...snaps. Ordered a new Ti. clip, and it fits better than the original did. Took the paint off, bare Ti. looks great.
    How did you take the paint off ? I was really planning to do it, 'cause I really don't like the black paint on the clip.... Btw I love my salt, and I love H-1... easy to sharpen on the sharpmaker and with an excellent edge retention...
    f.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ChapmanPreferred's Avatar
    Nice thread!
    SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
    Work EDC List
    FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
    FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
    BRP: CF Military S90V
    BLP: Forum S110V Native

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by fede View Post
    How did you take the paint off ? I was really planning to do it, 'cause I really don't like the black paint on the clip.... Btw I love my salt, and I love H-1... easy to sharpen on the sharpmaker and with an excellent edge retention...
    f.
    Dude,

It is easy. Get a spray can of paint remover, and in 5 minutes all the paint wipes off. I used 1000 grit sand paper, and 0000 steel wool. Looks great. Took something like 15 minutes total.

Spyderco Forum Registered User fede's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad310 View Post
    Dude,

It is easy. Get a spray can of paint remover, and in 5 minutes all the paint wipes off. I used 1000 grit sand paper, and 0000 steel wool. Looks great. Took something like 15 minutes total.
    Thank you... I think tomorrow I'll try!!!
    f.

Spyderco Forum Registered User SimpleIsGood229's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yowzer View Post
    Yup, no liners.

It took someone running over a Salt stuck upright in the ground with a small excavator to break the handle, though, so no worries about strength.
    That was David Lowry, and if I'm not mistaken, the blade is what broke. The FRN was just fine.
    God Bless Texas!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!

Quote Originally Posted by fede View Post
    f.
    You can find some useful info here:
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=salt
    http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showt...light=titanium
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthrea...t=Pacific+Salt
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthrea...t=Pacific+Salt