Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by smitty704 View Post
    I purchased a spyderco tenacious tonight on eBay from username "unitedoutdoors". It was for $29.99 shipped. I think this is a pretty good deal, and was curious it this sounds to good to be true, or is this a pretty reasonable price seen lots of times before. Also, has anyone heard of there being any fake "tenacious" models, or is this not an expensive enough model for the need to manufacture a fake?

And hello to everyone here, I am new to this forum. Great to be on a knife forum for a change, I pretty much live on gun forums.
    Nice price !!! I won a bid for my Tenacious on Ebay for 21.00 shipped Best 21 bucks I spent
    Have there been any fakes on the Spyderco Para Military 2 that anyone has seen ?
    Last edited by 19cohiba75; 11-08-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added ?

Hi still quite new to Spyderco, and the reason that attracted me was Spderco's famous quality. But, with so many knock offs floating around, I am starting to get a little leary.
    Can anyone give me some good basic ideas of how to spot a fake out there in cyber space?
    Like I said, I am very new to Spyderco, and can't spot a fake a mile away like so many of you can. Any hints for me?

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal4 View Post
    Hi still quite new to Spyderco, and the reason that attracted me was Spderco's famous quality. But, with so many knock offs floating around, I am starting to get a little leary.
    Can anyone give me some good basic ideas of how to spot a fake out there in cyber space?
    Like I said, I am very new to Spyderco, and can't spot a fake a mile away like so many of you can. Any hints for me?
    Simplest way is to purchase your knives from reputable dealers. I won't suggest that it's all inclusive, but this thread contains the names of quite a few of them.

I've yet to hear of anyone selling fake Spyderco products on the BladeForum Exchange, so I would consider it to be a safe source for older and/or used knives.

If shopping eBay for Spyderco, avoid sellers located in China like the plague. Have not seen one yet that sells legitimate Spyderco products. Beyond that, this section is an excellent resource. When in doubt, check it out.

Also pays to keep in mind that this problem is by no means unique to Spyderco. Knives of every major brand get copied and their names and logos get tacked onto designs they never made.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User TBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the deacon View Post
    simplest way is to purchase your knives from reputable dealers. I won't suggest that it's all inclusive, but this thread contains the names of quite a few of them.

I've yet to hear of anyone selling fake spyderco products on the bladeforum exchange, so i would consider it to be a safe source for older and/or used knives.

If shopping ebay for spyderco, avoid sellers located in china like the plague. Have not seen one yet that sells legitimate spyderco products. Beyond that, this section is an excellent resource. When in doubt, check it out.

Also pays to keep in mind that this problem is by no means unique to spyderco. Knives of every major brand get copied and their names and logos get tacked onto designs they never made.
    +1
    : Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189 (EDC), Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Southard Black Blade, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. Spydie Fanatic #179

Although there are only 2 hours left for the auction, I would still like to show this item which I believe is to be a fake Swick.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-KNI...item2a1812a451
    Maybe I'm wrong and this is an actual real Spyderco?
    Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Although there are only 2 hours left for the auction, I would still like to show this item which I believe is to be a fake Swick.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPYDERCO-KNI...item2a1812a451
    Maybe I'm wrong and this is an actual real Spyderco?
    That looks legitimate, it's a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchnell View Post
    That looks legitimate, it's a spot.
    Thanks, looks like it yes. I couldn't find it in the fixed blades part of the catalogue, using search did the trick
    Wishlist: Delica G10. Cricket SE/PE. Cat. Air

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User nakahoshi's Avatar

Hi Nakahoshi,

That's the knife that damn near put us out of business about a decade ago. Sorry to see it return.

It's a difficult problem to solve. Kinda like fighting mosquitoes, but these mosquitoes carry damagae.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User JAfromMN's Avatar
    I'm glad I'm following this thread. I almost bought one of these last night .http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=160684000034
    I couldn't rember it from the catalog.

I'll hold out for my Spot or Swick
    Last edited by JAfromMN; 01-28-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: edit
    My favorite Spyderco is the one that I used the most Today

Black Native fs,Delica 4 fs,ZDP 189 Endura fs, Manix 2 XL ,Pegasus ss fs,Endura 3 ss fs,Endura 4 ffg, 701 mf, Spyderwrench, Dyad Jr, manix 2 lwt

Hi JA,

Thanx for noticing.

I guess I'm one of those fools that thinks; "whatever the problem, education is the solution". We also go after them legally whever we can, but it's expensive and if I had my "druthers", I'd "druther" spend that part of the budget on crew, or R&D or Mfg equipment.

There is a current discussion to create a light neck knife. We can also do sprints of Swicks. There might even be some left from the last run, (which was the most evolved in ergos and control). I haven't checked in quite a while.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User Darkfin's Avatar

Thumbs down

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=260944356449

I love when people use the word "Style" to feel it gives them the right to put up a patent infringing Chinese knockoff....
    There isnít any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
    ~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

I reported it.
    : Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189 (EDC), Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Southard Black Blade, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. Spydie Fanatic #179

Thanks. Maybe multiple reports will help ebay get their head out and remove it.
    There isnít any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.

I also sent a message to the seller just in case he's not aware that the knife is a counterfeit.

Here's the response from the seller:

Eagle has been making these for years- they get by the copyright by having a plastic "Bandit" insert in it. Too bad you can't read "Serrated Spyderco Delica" S T Y L E.

Regards,
    Marc
    I guess that ethics are optional for some jewellers in Houston.

So he is ok breaking ebay's brand keyword spamming then? Well, it is good to have scruples....

Spyderco Forum Registered User jackknifeh's Avatar
    Still seeing repeated words at the end of a line, then at the beginning of the next line. I'm living with it, just thought I'd mention it. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it so maybe I'm the only one. If I preview the post or when I do click submit it looks fine.

Jack

My EDC for a while. Stretch with carbon fiber handle, Chaparral 2, Dragonfly 2 with kirinite MOP handle, Manbug with bolster/red bone handle. Super blue/420J1 blades on all three (except Chaparral).

Quote Originally Posted by jackknifeh View Post
    Still seeing repeated words at the end of a line, then at the beginning of the next line. I'm living with it, just thought I'd mention it. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it so maybe I'm the only one. If I preview the post or when I do click submit it looks fine.

Jack
    Jack,
    I think you meant for this to go in the thread about the forum upgrade. I am looking into it, but it's going to take some time. I haven't been able to duplicate what your reporting. I promise I haven't forgotten what you've posted, but as I mentioned this is all going to take some time.
    There is nothing more important than this one day.