Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

Hybrid View

Spyderco Knock-offs, "Replicas"and Fakes

As most of you know, the growing number of Spyderco-like knock-offs, "replicas" and fakes is a problem.

As Sal says, 'tis a PITA.

As a small company it’s not possible to have someone on staff searching for these things. You are a key part of our awareness. Your efforts are appreciated more than we can express.

In an attempt to consolidate the information, all posts alerting the forum to Spyderco-like products (knock-offs, “replicas” and fakes) will be moved to this new sub-forum.

Please post any new threads regarding knock-offs, etc. here.

This will not only help us, but it will help new members become Edge-U-cated on the problem.

Thanx Much!
    There is nothing more important than this one day.

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    if you ever to want see all (or almost all the fake ones) just go to the chinese ebay...i typed in spyderco in the search and 2100 items popped up...the real ones have a much higher price

http://search.eachnet.com/search/c3B5ZGVyY28=--0-2.html
    Last edited by tonydahose; 06-11-2009 at 03:45 PM.
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

Spyderco Forum Registered User jezabel's Avatar
    No problem Kristi, anything to help y'all keep on top of things.

Spyderco Forum Registered User 224477's Avatar
    Thanks for creating this subforum Kristi, was about time!
    "Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."

Spyderco Forum Registered User SoCal Operator's Avatar
    Excellent idea for a subforum.
    Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared

Spyderco Forum Registered User bohica1998's Avatar
    I've been trying. Whenever I see one that doesn't look right, I usually sound off.

(Of course, I sometimes goof too. How was I to know the Assist has a "crack" built into it, hehe?)

A possible candidate for this sub-forum?

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576
    Last edited by bohica1998; 06-12-2009 at 10:16 AM.
    58-1/2 's so far...
    Latest Arrival: C14PBK PE Rescue (Thanx Jeff!)
    On the Way: Nada at the moment

Spyderco Forum Registered User MountainManJim's Avatar
    It's not a knock-off, but it is false advertising.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-Firefly...3A1%7C294%3A50

Jim
    I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5

Ezekiel 4:12

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar

more fakes

Rob found these but i didnt see that he posted it here so credit goes to him.

http://cgi.ebay.at/TACTICAL-POCKET-F...3%3A1|294%3A30

http://cgi.ebay.at/NEW-STAINLESS-POC...3%3A2|294%3A30
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Is nothing safe from cheap copies? I'm used to seeing threads about fake wristwatches. Now we have to watch out for fake pocket knives? Personally, I avoid Ebay like the plague and stick to forums where fake sellers don't last long.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waco kid View Post
    Is nothing safe from cheap copies? I'm used to seeing threads about fake wristwatches. Now we have to watch out for fake pocket knives? Personally, I avoid Ebay like the plague and stick to forums where fake sellers don't last long.
    Probably not, damn precious little anyway. I've heard tell they clone $15 SAKs.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

terzuola

I noticed a c-15 on ebay, but it is a g-10 handle with plain edge. I don't think spyderco made this combination.
    ms89glide

Here is a knock off Poliwog: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18078
    It even comes with a spydie hole.

Or how about this knock off S Silver: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21376

Delica SE G-2
    Ladybug
    Tenacious
    Centofante III
    Centofante IV
    Pacific Salt PE
    Endura 4 PS
    Delica ZDP-189 FFG
    Para-Military 2 digi-camo
    Para-Military 2 black
    Pacific Salt SE
    USN Catcherman
    Sage 1

Spyderco Forum Registered User john row's Avatar
    Particularly for Tazchristi, but please - I welcome any one to respond.

Does Spyderco pursue the perps now?

I've been out of circulation for awhile, but, it appears to me (IMHO) that this is still a problem more of rip offs of spydieholes, blade shapes, poor efforts at locking mechs,etc. As opposed to "professional" attempts at fooling people passing POS as real spydies. IE Stamping of "Seki Japan", "Spyderco", metal designations, etc. (patented stuff, but still not a serious attempt at counterfeiting. Just proprietary theft. Which is just as bad.

This seems to be a problem much the same as it was 10 or 12 years ago when I started buying Spyderco products. Can anyone who owns or has handled one real spydie (or Benchmade, Emerson, or other high quality products even Rolex for that matter) be fooled. I realize that people buy a lot "touch unfelt" but still a little research ...

And yes, I see that some novice could be fooled. Which IS a bad thing. I ask myself, whether that buyer who is attracted to a $6.00 look a like would spend the money for the real deal, anyway. IF there would come a time where he/she becomes enthusiastic enough to get the real thing, I believe he'll take time to research probably coming here.

Have there been any POS fakes sent in to SFO requesting warranty replacement or repair? Or even any lawsuits against Spyderco for a Fakes' failure of performance or safety?

There is no argument from me that knockoffs are bad. But it is mho that this is a "Caveat Emptor" situation. Aggravating, disgusting, but ...

Sal had a very laid back philosophy regarding this matter (or it seemed to me anyway) years ago. Has that changed? Spyderco / Mr Glesser gives credit / royalties to Ernie Emerson and Mr Boye, etc. He and his company have integrity, and honor.

Others don't.

Just my observations. Not arguing for or against anything. I can't remember an iota of what I used to know about Spydies. I came back to re learn and find out abut the stuff I missed.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by john row; 01-30-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: add
    Gee Mr Glesser, them sure are pretty knives!

Banned - Disrespectful PM to Admin.
    THIS IS AN IMPORTANT DISCUSSION TO ME. very interested in it!
    john why dont you move this to the "gen discus" area? this is def worthy of a long discussion among us. i am eager to know about such things as well...
    imo sal is still really passive/laid back. but i would love to know the answers to those questions.
    i was ripped off too on a tuffron civilian for $130 shipped. (great deal, right? i thought so too. lol) got my money back though from ebay, which if you look has just recently changed there insurance policy to include every form of payment
    Last edited by SmoothOne25; 01-30-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User john row's Avatar
    Didn't mean to infer it wasn't important. It sounds like you exposed and were made "whole" again in your bad deal. (sorry for the "legal" like viewpoint).

I've been ripped too (though not on a knife) Exposed him, got reimbursed, and he/ she got banned from the auction site. It was a much larger scam and State Attorneys got involved (not Colorado) I wasn't the only victim. Others exposed him too.

In any event, it would be interesting to hear about warranty turn ins or liabilty concerns.
    Gee Mr Glesser, them sure are pretty knives!

Spyderco Forum Registered User ssmtbracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    The odd position of hole made me think it was fake, but it looks just this one in the catalog. What good is the hole if you can't get to it when the knife is closed?

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=453

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    Not a fake, and the hole is accessible from the right hand side. When in doubt, check the spyderco.com catalog first.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Is this a Fake?

Quote Originally Posted by araneae View Post
    Not a fake, and the hole is accessible from the right hand side. When in doubt, check the spyderco.com catalog first.
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...Orange-Handles

This one has a Hole but I bought two just like it today for about $30 each. I am still trying to figure out if it is a fake or not. By the way the colors are black and yellow.
    Thanks

best way to tell the difference

New to Spydercos. I bought a Tenacious online for EDC based on reviews. How can I determine if it's a clone? I would expect even an entry level knife to be sharp. It's not. It's far duller than some Kershaws, SOGs and even cheap $10 CRKTs. Thanks.