Thread: How does the Lansky sharpener work????

Spyderco Forum Registered User coltsfan8116's Avatar

How does the Lansky sharpener work????

Just picked one up on ar15 and was wondering if it will get me by.....

Spyderco Forum Registered User jezabel's Avatar
    The lansky was the first sharpening device I ever purchased, I found it works well on Saber and hollow grind blades, and not so well on FFG blades.
    The main problem I encounted was securing the clamp properly with out any wobble especially on small blades which quickly get thinner towards the tip ( such as the Caly JR). Swedge grinds cause problems too.

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    I used to have one. it was worth almost exactly what I paid for it (a co-worker gave it to me). Since I didn't have any ulus to sharpen, I threw it away. I wish you the best of luck with it.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I don't have a Lansky, but I have its big brother, the Gatco system.

Mine works fine, but not great. I do have to crank down pretty hard on the screws to hold the blade tight, then constantly re-tighten so the blade doesn't move. I, personally, also have a difficult time keeping a consistent edge because you end up passing over some spots on the blade several times in an effort to sharpen the entire edge (hope that makes sense).

All-in-all, it WILL get your knives sharp. It WILL get them screaming sharp. Like anything, there is a learning curve to it though. If you are a perfectionist, just know that it will be hard to get a perfect edge.

Spyderco Forum Registered User aebfroman's Avatar
    The Smith's clamp system works like a charm. Rebeveled my D4 with it and it gave me really good results. I use the poor mans sharpmaker from Lansky to finish up the job and its surely reached the scary level.

Go to Gatco's website and watch their video. Look up the Lansky and Gatco video's on YouTube. Google bladeforums for either a Lansky or Gatco tutorial (site:www.bladeforums.com lansky tutorial)(site:www.bladeforums.com gatco tutorial). That will tell you everything you need to know. Take your blades, profile them with the Lansky and keep 'em, good with a Sharmaker.

Spyderco Forum Registered User David Lowry's Avatar
    I have one and still use it from time to time on things like swiss army knives and smaller slipjoints like a medium stockman.

I have sharpened a D4, a Griptilian, and a BM 940 on my Lansky and it worked fine.

The little red plastic thumb screw broke off of the top of the real allen screw so now I just use an allen wrench to tighten the clamp. I just hold the clamp in my hand while sharpening and I've never had an issue.

With larger knives it is a bit tricky but just remember to losen the screw closest to the blade as far as you can for the thicker blades so the clamp is not trying to clamp at a real bad angle.

I have the Lansky Deluxe system and I also have two triangular Lansky hones to do serrations if I want. I've had it for about 3 years and I prefer it to the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

I mostly use a Coarse DMT stone and do my edges freehand, and then I finish them up with Spyderco's 701 Profile stones freehand also. If I use a sharpening system it's the Lansky.

I think an Edgepro would be cool but I don't wanna spend the money.
    - - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Spyderco Forum Registered User LorenzoL's Avatar
    I only have good things to say about the Lansky sharpening system, but it does require some getting used to.
    First, it works much better for shorter blades, so that you do not have to move the clamp around. I's say about 4-5" maximum.
    It won't work well with recurved edges.
    As someone mentioned earlier, the clamp does not work on a tapered blade. I find that inserting a piece of hard rubber between the metal clamp and the blade helps minimizing this issue, and also prevents scratches.
    It is a great system because it allows to create a relief at a low angle (around 20 degrees), and then move on to a steeper angle (25 degrees) to finish the edge.
    Also, it offers an immense choice of hones (as opposed to the EdgePro), from Arkansas to Diamond, from coarse to ultra fine. I like the ceramic hones better because most of my knives use hard steels like S30V, M4 and M2, and also because you do not have to use water or oil with these kind of stones.
    My advice is to start practicing with a cheap knife (like a kitchen knife) and move on from there. After some practice you'll be able to put a nasty edge on virtually anything.

I use my Lansky on full-flat grind knives all the time... I just clamp onto the tang, rather than the spine of the blade. Works great!

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    I use a Lansky to reprofile and repair damaged edges. It does tend to work best on Delica size or smaller knives for me. It works well and I think it is a good compliment to the Sharpmaker.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got:Lum Nishijin

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

I was looking at one the other day, the lowest setting is 17, is that per side or inclusive? Looks like per side.

Spyderco Forum Registered User LorenzoL's Avatar
    That is per side, but I have never used this angle because you'll end up scratching the side of the blade on most knives. Keep in mind that those angles are purely indicative, the actual angle depending on how wide the blade is: the wider the blade the farther the edge will be from the clamp and therefore the smaller the angle. Instead of focusing on the number, look how the hone rests on the blade with respect to your original edge. As I said in an earlier post, I use 20 degrees to create a relief and 25 or 30 degrees to put an edge on, depending on the kind of job you use the knife for. You can still have a very sharp edge with 30 degrees.

Spyderco Forum Registered User David Lowry's Avatar
    jzmtl,

That is per side. I have put a 17 edge on a couple of 1095 carbon blades (all under 4") and then put a 20 microbevel on the edge after that. Works well.

I really do think the Lansky is a good system. The clamp is kinda weird but you get used to it. The sharpmaker is also good, I just like the variety of stones that I have for my Lansky.
    - - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking the angle would be pretty inaccurate depends on how far the edge it. I suppose it'll work if it's the only system used, but switching back and forth between it and sharpmaker would be problematic.