Thread: Fishing reels: hobby #2

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Arrow Fishing reels: hobby #2

I guess it would be hard for you all to imagine myself having a second hobby as immersed as I am in the knife hobby but I do. I am an avid freshwater fishermen and I also collect high quality fishing reels.

The main brand that I collect and use is an older German made reel by the brand name of D.A.M. Quick They are a fantastic fishing reel and they are made with all stainless steel and bronze gears. Certain models fetch a nice chunk of change on Ebay and other sales arenas.

I would bet that there are others of you who also collect great fishing reels. I hope that there are more of you all that are knowledgable about the brand I collect. So tell us about yours
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Lord vader's Avatar
    I`m not real familiar with this type of real,How well does it work for you? I have been real partial to ABU-Garcia reels,I`m currently using baitcasters.I do a lot of bass fishing,Its definitely one of my favorite pastimes.

ABU-Garcia: Very good at one time

Quote Originally Posted by Lord vader View Post
    I`m not real familiar with this type of real,How well does it work for you? I have been real partial to ABU-Garcia reels,I`m currently using baitcasters.I do a lot of bass fishing,Its definitely one of my favorite pastimes.
    ABU-Garcia was rated as a very fine reel at one time. I've not kept up with their current status. I don't know where they are made at anymore. Many of the very nice, high quality fishing reels are now made in Third Word, sweatshop countries where any standards of quality are immediately thrown out the door.

There are so many fishing reels that used to have splendid reputations but are now nothing more than bargain basement junk. Shakespear & Eagle Claw both being prime examples.

Even many of the newer D.A.M. Quick models are no longer made in Germany but are now made in 3rd World countries. I've heard that their quality is no where near what it used to be. If the Quick reel isn't made in Germany I won't have it>> simple as that.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JBE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord vader View Post
    Hey...another Abu Garcia fan here myself. I'm extremely partial to the Ambassador 4600's. I have several of these mounted on All-Star rods that I use specifically for bass fishing.

My oldest son is partial to Shimano bait casters.
    Jason

Spyderco Forum Registered User Lord vader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    ABU-Garcia was rated as a very fine reel at one time. I've not kept up with their current status. I don't know where they are made at anymore. Many of the very nice, high quality fishing reels are now made in Third Word, sweatshop countries where any standards of quality are immediately thrown out the door.

There are so many fishing reels that used to have splendid reputations but are now nothing more than bargain basement junk. Shakespear & Eagle Claw both being prime examples.

Even many of the newer D.A.M. Quick models are no longer made in Germany but are now made in 3rd World countries. I've heard that their quality is no where near what it used to be. If the Quick reel isn't made in Germany I won't have it>> simple as that.
    JD did you receive the info i sent you on the D.A.M. reels? I am using the ambassadeur 5000 which ive had 4 years now,there great. The Abu-Garcia began production in the late 1930s and introduced there first reels in 1941 in sweden, and there still producing them in sweden today.

Spyderco Forum Registered User topwater's Avatar

Fishing Reels

4-Shimano Calias 100A, favorite reel by the way, 1 Curado 100 brown 1-Curado Old Green 1-Dawia Zillon 7:1 & 1 Curado E, Love Love fishing with baitcasters, Crucial Rods are a Great Value just like Spyderco Knifes, you get a lot for what you pay, Got into fishing reel maintenance, Taking them things part fixing understanding how it all works free spool, the drag, gears & bearings is mind blowing and cost saving also, I have saved a lot of money maintaining my own reels, Shimano IMO has the most avalblity on part replacements, old reels and new, Yup just a hobby

Arrow Excellent Reference book on reels

There is an excellent reference book for collectors of fishing reels. It is entitled "The WRight Price Guide For The Reel Man" by Ben Wright. You can get a copy of this book directly from Ben Wright himself by just Googling his name. I have never seen a more exhaustive compilation of information on fishing reels in my entire life.

There are several good old brands to collect. Other than Penn I'm not aware of too many brands of fishing reels that are produced today that have the quality that many of the older fishing reels had.

It truly saddens me that quality in the fishing reel sector is rapidly becoming a thing of the past

Spyderco Forum Registered User Azad's Avatar
    +1 on the ABU Garcias!

Collect a few reels myself... Ok its not like my knife collection cos I use every single one of them. The D.A.M rods are pretty good too. The current production is made in China or Taiwan, I don't fancy their reels much but their spinning rods are good and is on par with some of Shimano's offerings, finishing and fittings though may not be as high in quality.

Thumbs up D.A.M. Quick Rods

Quote Originally Posted by Azad View Post
    +1 on the ABU Garcias!

Collect a few reels myself... Ok its not like my knife collection cos I use every single one of them. The D.A.M rods are pretty good too. The current production is made in China or Taiwan, I don't fancy their reels much but their spinning rods are good and is on par with some of Shimano's offerings, finishing and fittings though may not be as high in quality.
    I agree that the D.A.M. Rods are also very good. When I did a lot of fly fishing I had a D.A.M. Quick-Stick which was about as good of fly rod that I ever had.

When you say that you don't like their reels much are you referring to their newer production in the 3rd World overseas plants. Because I can assure you that the German made models are top notch. It does sadden me that they would take a premium made product and cheapen it and then try to make a bundle off of the good name that they once had I have 3 of the D.A.M rods and they are very good rods for sure

Spyderco Forum Registered User clovisc's Avatar
    my fly rods are all matched to pfleuger medalists... from 4wt size up to the big 12wt size on my 10 weight TFO TiCrX rod. simple, inexpensive, but they do the job just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo View Post
    I agree that the D.A.M. Rods are also very good. When I did a lot of fly fishing I had a D.A.M. Quick-Stick which was about as good of fly rod that I ever had.

When you say that you don't like their reels much are you referring to their newer production in the 3rd World overseas plants. Because I can assure you that the German made models are top notch. It does sadden me that they would take a premium made product and cheapen it and then try to make a bundle off of the good name that they once had I have 3 of the D.A.M rods and they are very good rods for sure
    You're right, the reels I was talking about are the made in China stuff. There's just too much not to like. Poor tolerances, cheap plasticky feel and the durability is almost non-existent.

Check out some of Ryobi's offerings... They're a Japanese brand but their reels are assembled in China. Very good price point for the quality you receive. Their Excia spinning reel is amazing; full aluminium construction, 8BB, sealed drags for SGD100 (USD60+) and they ship with an additional aluminium spool (not ABS). Slightly heavier due to the materials used but they're really smooth. I've used higher end to lower end stuff. I'm not adverse to Chinese products, there's no avoiding them. Give them 10-15yrs and I believe they'll be another Japan.. Back in the 60s and 70s people baulked at the idea of Japanese products but look at them now.

That said I'm gonna try and hunt down a German made D.A.M reel, you have really stoked my curiosity. All this fishing talk is getting me down. I wish it would stop raining here. I don't mind fishing in a torrent but the water is really coloured a rich coffee brown and the fish will be off the bite. It'll probably be this way for a few weeks. Hope you guys have better luck on the other side of the world.

Now... How about a few pics of your favourite lures an/ or flies?

Tightlines... And keep em' sharp
    Azad

JD... Check your PM.

Azad...

D.A.M Quick sources and general information

Quote Originally Posted by Azad View Post
    JD... Check your PM.

Azad...
    I did get your PM. Below is a list of some of the D.A.M Quick German made reels that are top notch and highly dependable.

Seek out these D.A.M. Quick models:
    1001 > ultra-light
    3002> Great reel for freshwater fishing> fish that weigh 30lbs or less.
    5001> Great for deep sea fishing or for big river fish
    110N> Great classic ultra-light reel> I've had mine for years, no problems
    Any of their Finessa Series or Champion Series. Also their magnetic drag series if you can find them. I've only been able to find the MDS series on the German Ebay and most won't ship to the USA. There is a guy up in Canada > www.reeldr.com and he is an expert on D.A.M Quick reels and has a ton of parts even for the ones 30 years or older. I've been dealing with him for about 4 years now and he is great. But bottom line>> you must go with the older, German made stuff or you're just wasting your time and money.

azad -- i dig your "post pictures of your favorite flies" idea. this idea deserves its own thread.

i tie hundreds and hundreds for salmon, steelhead... even sole, shark, lingcod. i'm pretty low at the moment... i think in the coming months, i'll be doing quite a lot of tying, and will have pictures of some of my own, unique designs for ketchikan...

Fishing is probably my main hobby. Personal preference is Shimano Stradic and Sustain spin reels, and Ambassadeur casting reels.

I also lament the rapid journey to cheap overseas labor. Personally, I try to find the USA, European, and Japanese alternatives whenever I buy new stuff.

Question Penn? Where are they made?

Next to D.A.M. Quick I am probably most partial to Penn fishing reels. Does anyone know whether or not Penn is still making reels and equipment here in the USA?

I had heard that a few models of their deep sea line were still made here in the states but that's been a couple of years ago when I heard that.

Coincidentally Penn is another brand that the Reel Doctor who I referred to in one of my earlier posts that he also works on and has parts for.

From what I've heard the Penn reels are still made in the USA. I've only used the SS series (full metal construction). Tough reel and easy to disassemble for maintenance. The parts are easy to get too. A good upgrade is the carbotex drag washers. The shaft on the SS series is thick and chunky. They're very popular in Thailand for fishing giant cats and freshwater rays. I prefer the Penn SS over Daiwa's BG or SS series because I like the thicker shaft. I'm not very familliar with their bluewater reels, used an International once. Ok reel I guess, not much of a deep sea angler so I'm not a good judge. Good line cap. Slightly less prone to corrosion IMO compared to Shimanos.

Penn has a following here in Singapore, a lot of the old timers grew up on Penn and Shakespear's offerings and remain very faithful to them. My late father was a huge fan of Penn and Shakespear. In contrast a lot of the younger guys (me included) prefer Japanese reels. Don't get me wrong, Penn has a few proven designs but they've played the safe route the last couple of years. Try the Penn Slammer, I've heard a few good words about them.

i picked up a penn... hmm... i want to say it was a 312? last year, and saw it was stamped made in china. i couldn't believe it at first, and ended up taking it back.

i've got a penn spin rod on an ugly stick tiger stick (12-30lb) that serves as my utilitarian saltwater salmon rod... for those rare times when i don't feel like a fly rod... i'm fairly sure that that's made in china, as well...

i have another SS penn reel... 210, i think? that one's made in the US. i've had some trouble with the level wind on it...

i picked up a cheap-o okuma reel on sale at wallyworld over a year ago... its been part of a beater/loaner set-up, going strong for over a year now... back when i was taking kids fishing (as part of my old job... ) it saw some serious mistreatment... and is really no worse for the wear. out of all the not-too-expensive spin reels i've owned, it has performed the best.