Thread: torx screw question..

Spyderco Forum Registered User spyderHS08's Avatar

torx screw question..

Soo I have a couple knives that have wire clips and I guess I was thinking allen wrench/hex key wrench..but no those are not the same. I need torx screws to remove and change these clips. Anyone know where I can get a good/cheap ish set at(online or store)? I only need whatever sizes the ukpk, dodo and (probly sometime soon delica 4) use. size 8 i think?

Any input appreciated! thanks
    36 and counting...
    E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE , Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, Spyderhawk, Persian, Lum tanto, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly

Dodo!

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Home Depot sells a small set under the Husky brand name contains a handle and four double ended bits that cover all the sized found on Spyderco and most other knives. Model number is HD-74502-T and it's in their "Tool Crib" area. Lowes sells one that's identical except for name and color. IIRC, their brand is Kobalt. Either one costs about $6-$7.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User bowarrow2000's Avatar
    If you do not have a Home Depot or Lowes just go to an auto parts store and get a small set of torx drivers.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Home Depot sells a small set under the Husky brand name contains a handle and four double ended bits that cover all the sized found on Spyderco and most other knives. Model number is HD-74502-T and it's in their "Tool Crib" area. Lowes sells one that's identical except for name and color. IIRC, their brand is Kobalt. Either one costs about $6-$7.
    I bought that exact one, the bits store in the handle so they don't get lost and the sizes cover all of my knives.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Lord vader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deacon View Post
    Thank you,I have been looking for one of these.

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I also have the one deacon is talking about. Its cheap and works well.
    Endura ZDP-189 CE | Endura Wave CE | Salt 1 PE | Centofante 3 PE | Tenacious PE | Tenacious SE | MT02 Second | MT03 | JD Smith | Caly 3 ZDP-189 CF | Bill Moran | Military | Tasman PE | Stretch 2 CF | Endura | Delica | Dragon Fly

Spyderco Forum Registered User spyderHS08's Avatar
    alright thanks guys!
    and yeah we have both those stores round here so all is well.
    also Ive heard before that you need two bits to take apart one knife or clip..one for each side of it. Is this true?

Thanks
    36 and counting...
    E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE , Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, Spyderhawk, Persian, Lum tanto, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly

Dodo!

Spyderco Forum Registered User FLYBYU44's Avatar
    in the wilds of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
    You don't need two bits, one will work fine. I think most of them are #6, at least they are on my knives.
    Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.

Spyderco Forum Registered User BuffaloBill's Avatar
    i also own the husky HD-74502 W which has t4, 5,6,7,8,9,10 and 15

works great.

two bits does aid in taking apart the ukpk but you can use the the proper size to unscrew and the next size down to hold the other side from turning.
    Last edited by BuffaloBill; 03-03-2009 at 06:24 PM.

^Click (needs updating)