Thread: Sharpen Electric Foil Razor?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Sharpen Electric Foil Razor?

Hi,

I've used my sharpmaker to sharpen just about everything -- scissors, nail files, potato peelers, etc.

Question: Could it sharpen the blades on a foil-type razor? (In my case, a Braun electric shaver.)

The blades (of which there are two) consist of a row of metal discs that stick up vertically out of a plastic base. I honestly don't even know how they become dull. Perhaps the top edge of the individual blades become rounded off (versus being squared-off in profile)?

I'm wondering if some gentle treatment with my white sharpmaker stones might help. Anyone tried something like that?

I know -- it's a crazy question. But, I'm really curious if anyone knows. A new blade set costs like $25 bucks... I'd rather sharpen mine.

schofer

Razor

Perhaps using the white stone carefully may do it. I have a Norelco now so I can't try it.

I have found with Braun shavers, if the blades are dull it is time to replace both the blades and the foil.

OK, I tried sharpening the cutter on my Braun razor with my white stones.

The verdict: Can't really tell the difference. It might be a bit sharper, but that could easily be the 'placebo effect'.

But, I was pretty timid in my sharpening effort. I didn't want to mess anything up. I may try to sharpen more aggressively and see if that makes a difference.

schofer

It's been years since I have seen one, but maybe you need to "sharpen" the foil as well? If I recall they more of less function as scissors with blade being half and foil the other, so both need to have sharp edges.

don't do it

the foil needs to be replaced anyways... it gets holes in it and will tear your face up. it hurts...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    I just replaced the blades on my Braun...I have the old unsharpened one, might give it a try on the old sharpmaker...what's the worse thing that could happen...I'll report back my findings....As far as the foil goes...replace that when worn...only had to do that once in 5 years...Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    OK doesn't work...tried the white tried the coarse...did not resharpen...buy a new one...Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Success!!!

I couldn't quite let this one go, so I tried some other methods to sharpen my electric foil razor -- a Braun model. I was going to throw out the dull cutter blades anyway, so I figured I'd play around. I did a bunch of things, so I'm not 100% sure what worked... but here's what I think did the trick:

I used the razor motor to grind the cutters against my white sharpmaker stone. (I got the idea from a website that sells a polishing compound to sharpen electric razors -- with a similar method.)

With the razor foil removed, I held the razor cutters against the sharpmaker stone (parallel to the direction of the cutter motion). Then turned the razor on and adjusted the angle at a consistent rate so that all parts of the cutters made contact with the stone. It was kinda like "shaving the stone"... I made several passes... but it took almost no time at all.

The result: A very big improvement in razor sharpness. I now get an excellent shave! It seems "good as new" to me (though I admit, it is hard to accurately compare to shaves I was getting 2 years ago).

Potential downsides of this method: 1) It is probably quite easy to create "flat spots" on the cutters if you don't change the angle (and thus the point of contact) at a consistent speed. After all, you're holding a flat stone against a curved cutter that is moving fast. And, more generally, it seems easy to damage the cutter if you aren't careful. 2) It was a bit hard (given how my braun razor was designed) to get at the inside edges of the cutters. 3) While the cutters don't seem dangerous, you might be able to hurt yourself. Don't say you weren't warned!

I'm very glad to avoid spending $40 on new blades...

schofer

sharpening foil type shavers

I read your explanation of how you sharpened your cutters. It seems that holding a sharpening stone parallel to the cutter's motion, would be dulling the circular discs. Seems you would need to have the abrasive go in between each disc. I am thinking of inventing a sharpener to save guys like us from paying WAY TOO MUCH for replacement cutters. Contact me if you are interested in helping me in this endeavor.

Glenn

Spyderco Forum Registered User Blerv's Avatar
    The idea of turning on a shaver against a sharpening stone seems kinda silly, they are ceramic.

Still, he was doing this 3 years ago. I'm guessing that Braun has gone to the electronic place in the sky, I mean, landfill.
    Blake

Listing of Blade-Length Laws by State/County (Not My Website)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf