Thread: Paracord size?

Spyderco Forum Registered User spyderHS08's Avatar

Paracord size?

hello all,
    I was wantin to make a couple lanyards for a few knives and other things around here but i cant find any paracord locally to look at. so ive found a few websites but im not sure on size. what is the standard size to make knife lanyards that fits through the lanyard holes? what size do you guys recommend or use?

any inputs appreciated
    thanks
    36 and counting...
    E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE , Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, Spyderhawk, Persian, Lum tanto, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly

Dodo!

Spyderco Forum Registered User rorschach's Avatar
    I recommend http://www.ubraidit.com/supplies-thumbs.php?cat=50
    for paracord. "650 nylon cord with nice body. Averages approx. 3/16" in diameter with four inner filler cords and has a 400 lb or better breaking strength" works great for me.

BTW the above was made by pulling the inner cords out but I have made many spyderco lanyards keeping the core fibers in as well.
    Last edited by rorschach; 10-05-2008 at 07:47 PM.
    -Rorschach :][: RHOS

Spyderco Forum Registered User J Smith's Avatar
    I use 550 cord.
    It all varies a little between colors for some reason but most all of it is right at 4 mm.
    0 0
    <
    \____/

Spyderco Forum Registered User ozspyder's Avatar
    I use 550 paracord with core in and sometimes with core out. Fits through the holes fine, but sometimes requiring a bit of paperclip work

I usually source mine from Supply Captain and get it shipped over for the cost of an arm and a leg. However those of you living in the US should get it delviered much cheaper.
    Cheers
    Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)

I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
    * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *

Spyderco Forum Registered User asfaltpiloot's Avatar
    I also use the 550 type.
    Usualy of ebay.
    Robert

"Never leave home without a knife,
    one day it may save a life"

Spyderco Forum Registered User

mine

I use 550 or 450 paracord for all kinds of stuff. If you weave it into the knife (as you make it. 550 or 450 goes in pretty easy. If you make the lanyard first THEN put it through the lanyard hole, both will be tough. 550 may not even make it through some holes unless its gutted.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderHS08 View Post
    hello all,
    I was wantin to make a couple lanyards for a few knives and other things around here but i cant find any paracord locally to look at. so ive found a few websites but im not sure on size. what is the standard size to make knife lanyards that fits through the lanyard holes? what size do you guys recommend or use?
    Hello -

I use the 550 paracord from Supply Captain.
    http://www.supplycaptain.com/
    I've found them to have the best prices and most colors.

If you want to make a lanyard you can take on and off your knife, you'll want to make a lanyard with a loop, so you'll need a lanyard hole that's equal to or larger than 3/16" or any open frame knife with exposed screws. You'll be pushing 2 strands through the hole.

If you want to make a lanyard permamnently attached, then your lanyard hole should be 1/8". Only one strand through the hols.

If you gut the paracord (pull out the inner strands) then your lanyard hole can be even smaller. Or you can use some smaller diameter cord - I've used Wellington Sportsman's Cord I get from Kmart but I've only seen it in 2 colors, black and orange.

You could also put a split ring (key ring) through your lanyard hole and attach a lanyard of most any size.

I've got some blog articles and links that may further help you on my blog.
    http://devilchasnme.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
    Dave
    http://devilchasnme.blogspot.com/
    The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

I think Paracord Central has a rundown on all the available paracord sizes. In general though, 550 paracord works best.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Liquid Cobra's Avatar
    550 is the standard I believe.
    Para-Military 2 satin camo, P'kal, Matriarch 2, Squeak, Endura 4, Delica 4, Jason Breeden Rescue, Orange Dodo, Dragonfly 2, Yojimbo 2, Manix 2 DLC Black, UKPK, Ulize, Lum Tanto Folder Grey, Caly 3.5, Swick 3, Bug, Grey G10 Jester, Military CPM Cru-Wear, Karahawk, Ladybug, Caly 3 Super Blue, Bradley Folder, Starmate, Ladybug Super Blue, Urban, Para-Military 2 CPM 154/S90V, Caly 3.5 Super Blue, Para-Military 2 CTS-204P

Bring back the A.T.R!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Fresh Eddie Fresh's Avatar
    I also really like Supply Captain... sometimes they will post leftover cord from rolls super cheap as well. For a lanyard you do not need a lot so it is nice to get a few different colors instead of a huge length of just one color. I use it a lot for zipper pulls on backpacks, too.

My local surplus store sells a lot of different colors as well... quality-wise, I trust Supply Captain more, however.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    I use the 550 also. Beware though not all paracord are equal. I've seen a lot of cheap knock off stuff that I wouldn't touch.

Also if you're having trouble getting the cord through when it's doubled over, take a single strand of the nylon inside and use that to pull it through.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

Also note the original question on this zombie thread was from 2008...
    Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E)