Thread: Spyderco's Rust proof knife

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Question Spyderco's Rust proof knife

I am looking for a knife that I can use on my boat. I am tired of getting knives that claim they "will not rust " and end up being ruined in a week

Has anyone tried the Spyderco Saver Salt or any of the other rust proof knives. I have a lot of faith and confidence in Spyderco , but it doesnt hurt to ask!

Thanks!
    "Our greatest glory is not ever falling, but getting up everytime we do"

Long Live the BaliYo!

www.BuyBaliYo.com

Spyderco Forum Registered User Tank's Avatar
    Any of the salt line will never rust. Just depends on size and shape of blade you want. I have a Tasman and a Pacific and they are awsome knives. One member is an extensive experiment and couldnt get any part of the knive to rust. they truly are "Rust Proof"
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Any of the salt line will never rust. Just depends on size and shape of blade you want. I have a Tasman and a Pacific and they are awsome knives. One member is an extensive experiment and couldnt get any part of the knive to rust. they truly are "Rust Proof"
    Thanks so much I guess all I have to figure out now is which one I want and how many. Do they make any fixed blade rust proof ones?

Long Live the BaliYo!

www.BuyBaliYo.com

Spyderco Forum Registered User HoB's Avatar
    Well, Tank pretty much summed it up. Blade and lockbar are made from H-1 which is rust proof. Clip is titanium, also absolute corrosion resistant and the hardware is specially treated. In the first batch some people actually got the hardware to show signs of corrosion after several weeks of saltwater exposure (!). That was, by the way, not even severe cases, just a little bit of rust developing around the pivot washer. Spyderco improved the treatment of the hardware in the subsequent runs and I haven't heard of a single case of rust developing on any of the later runs. The Salts are amazing knives, really!

Spyderco Forum Registered User HoB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gregD View Post
    Do they make any fixed blade rust proof ones?
    Only a diving knife, but two more designs are on the way. Take a look at the Amsterdam knife show report, around page 7 or so.

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    3 of them IIRC..the airbourne, the rocksalt and the aqua salts.
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

Spyderco Forum Registered User Spyderwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tonydahose View Post
    What's this airbourne you speak of? I haven't heard of it as far as I can tell...
    - Jason Dalsgaard
    Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)

Quote Originally Posted by tonydahose View Post
    I am having trouble finding the "airbourne" and the "rocksalt." Are these Spuderco knives???

Long Live the BaliYo!

www.BuyBaliYo.com

I am having trouble finding the "airbourne" and the "rocksalt." Are these Spuderco knives???
    Here is a review and pics of the new Rocksalt.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthrea...ight=rock+salt
    Last edited by Spyderwings; 03-28-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the link I was referring to...
    - Jason Dalsgaard
    Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)

Spyderco Forum Registered User Th232's Avatar
    The Airborne is still in the proto stage, personally I wouldn't expect to see it for at least a year, maybe more. As for the Rock Salt, it's out already, or at least one forumite has one. Check Clovisc's posts for more info about it.
    Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Spyderco Forum Registered User ozspyder's Avatar
    Try the Jumpmaster and Rock Salt. Jumpmaster was designed specifically for an airborne unit, and the Rock Salt (aka Hobbit Sword :P) is a Schempp designed FB that almost everyone has lusted after

Personally I have a Salt I and I abuse it more than any of my other knives. The confidence of knowing that you can do almost anything to it is so liberating !

Choose any of the H1/ Salt series and you will not regret it for years and years to come.
    Cheers
    Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)

I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
    * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *

Spyderco Forum Registered User Murdoc's Avatar
    What about the Caspian Salt?

Perhaps something to consider... and it's available!

Dennis

I did a bit of searching and found a pic of the jumpmaster in Wouter's Amsterdam Report.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthrea...pmaster&page=7

It's about 1/3 of the way down.
    - Jason Dalsgaard

Spyderco Forum Registered User JBE's Avatar
    Give the Salt I a whirl....I have one that spent a week clipped IWB of my swim trunks while on vacation along the Alabama and Florida coasts last summer with nary a bit of rust after being exposed to the salt water of the Gulf of Mexico daily. It's making the trek back with me this year.
    Jason

Spyderco Forum Registered User jaislandboy's Avatar

Caspian Salt

another great rustproof knife if you're in the mood for a fixed blade

brian
    "All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."

Spyderco Forum Registered User bladese97's Avatar
    I am looking for a knife that I can use on my boat. I am tired of getting knives that claim they "will not rust " and end up being ruined in a week

Has anyone tried the Spyderco Saver Salt or any of the other rust proof knives. I have a lot of faith and confidence in Spyderco , but it doesnt hurt to ask!

Thanks!
    Hey Greg...Welcome to Spyderholics 101 I have the Saver Salt, Pacific/SE, and a Tasman/PE, and they all kick@$$, and don't rust....EVER
    "Spyderco...does a pocket good"
    Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
    As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!

Spyderco Forum Registered User SimpleIsGood229's Avatar

Thanks!
    Welcome to Sal's living room, Greg!

The Salts actually ARE what they're advertised as being. It's quite amazing. Take a look at the Aqua Salt.

http://www.spydercollector.nl/ (Toward the bottom, yellow handle)
    God Bless Texas!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!

Spyderco Forum Registered User SoCal Operator's Avatar
    While we're on the Salt subject; it's always worth it to look up the salt spray and saltwater immersion tests done by member MacTech. Very interesting tests.
    Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by jaislandboy View Post
    I recently took my Salt 1 on vacation, where it received a week of nearly constant exposure to saltwater. I did get some rust or corrosion in the "1" of the "H1" inscription on the blade.

If you look at the photo that jaislandboy posted, you can see that the 1 is filled (or printed?) with some sort of black material. I don't know what that black material is, but it is the only area on my knife that shows any rust whatsoever.

For the record, this is not a complaint and I'm completely pleased in every other way with the Salt 1. I'm looking at getting another one from the series actually. I think they are fantastic knives for saltwater applications.

I mostly lurk here but this is something I can contribute from my own personal experience. That black 1 can rust or corrode because it did on mine. It doesn't have any effect on the usefulness of the blade though, and I doubt it will affect durability either.