Thread: Folding knife lubrication

Spyderco Forum Registered User anon0918's Avatar

Folding knife lubrication

I just got my first serious (ie: non-kitchen-use) knife, a Delica 4, but think it needs some lubrication to help it open more easily.

I've read through several lubrication threads already and it seems that WD-40 is not preferred as it doesn't leave a lasting grease for continual lubrication. I've ordered some Militec-1 but that won't arrive for a couple weeks. I went to a local gun/knife store, and they sell Tetra and Ballistol. I asked which would be better for knives, and they all said Ballistol. Does anyone have any experience with this? It has a strange odor (reminds me of that fish attractor stuff you spray on lures), and seems to be almost identical to WD-40, but may have more mineral oil than WD-40 (which only has ~15%). However, I couldn't find any specifics about what is actually in it.

However, after using Ballistol, there still seems to be difficulty opening the knife, especially right before its about to click fully open. If I hold the blade with my thumb and index finger and slowly open it, I can feel the higher friction at certain spots. Any suggestions? Would plain old mineral oil work alright?

Spyderco Forum Registered User pedro navaja's Avatar

Thumbs up

I use Militec-1 orTuf glide with excellent results but I'm not familiar with Balistol

Pedro

The world is full of apathy, but I don't care

Arriel

Spyderco Forum Registered User bladese97's Avatar

Thumbs up Welcome

Hey dude.....Welcome to Spyderforums You will have a great time, and learn alot I use Militec-1 on my knives, and have great results; That would be my choice, but have had little experience with this ballistoll you speak of
    "Spyderco...does a pocket good"
    Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
    As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    welcome, i have no experience with ballistol. did you try using a torx bit to loosen up the delica, it might be a lil too tight for you. one more thing youcould try is to open/close it a few hundered times, no seriously, that will break it in and it should become looser.
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

I have heard of people using Ballistol but I have no personal experience with it. Some of the folks on BF prefer it.

I usually stick to Break-Free (which any gun shop or cop shop should have) or Tuff-Glide. I have used Militec and it does a fine job, I just prefer Tuff-Glide for it's drier properties (holds less gunk in the moving areas of a knife).

3-in-1 oil would work fine until your Militec arrives and that should be easy enough to find.

Is this SS or FRN. Either way, hold the lock down while opening to determine how much of the resistance is coming from the pivot without the lock bar contact pressure dragging on the blade.

I use plain mineral oil.

Quote Originally Posted by tonydahose View Post
    welcome, i have no experience with ballistol. did you try using a torx bit to loosen up the delica, it might be a lil too tight for you. one more thing youcould try is to open/close it a few hundered times, no seriously, that will break it in and it should become looser.
    I've probably opened/closed it several hundred times in the last couple days alone. I've gotten pretty good with the different ways of opening/closing the knife with either hand, although the band-aid on my thumb and the cuts on my middle finger, index finger, and pinky, might lead you to a different conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by tap View Post
    Is this SS or FRN. Either way, hold the lock down while opening to determine how much of the resistance is coming from the pivot without the lock bar contact pressure dragging on the blade.
    tap: The handle is G10. I tried what you suggested, and it is definitely the pressure from the lock bar that is causing the friction. If I hold the lock bar down, the blade opens really easily. I know I tried using Ballistol in that area as well, but it doesn't seem to matter much. It sounds like there's nothing to do about that. Am I right?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by anon0918 View Post
    I've probably opened/closed it several hundred times in the last couple days alone. I've gotten pretty good with the different ways of opening/closing the knife with either hand, although the band-aid on my thumb and the cuts on my middle finger, index finger, and pinky, might lead you to a different conclusion.
    HAHA... that's great!! Enjoy your Delica. That was/is my first spydie, and has been great. Mine seemed smooth and natural from the first open... I haven't used anything on it. Hope you get it worked out/in soon!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    teflon oil for most knives

teflon greese for frame/liner locks(cris reeve)
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

SCARAMOUCHE!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Shike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro navaja View Post
    I use Militec-1 orTuf glide with excellent results but I'm not familiar with Balistol
    I second that and also Firepower FP10 which I think is the same stuff.

Spyderco Forum Registered User araneae's Avatar
    I use militec or mineral oil. The mineral works fine and it's food safe so I can slice up an apple without worrying about the lube. If the knife might see food use- I go with the mineral oil.
    So many knives, so few pockets...
    -Nick
    Light Modding and Wharnifying when time permits

Just got: Superblue D'fly

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Quote Originally Posted by anon0918 View Post
    tap: The handle is G10. I tried what you suggested, and it is definitely the pressure from the lock bar that is causing the friction. If I hold the lock bar down, the blade opens really easily. I know I tried using Ballistol in that area as well, but it doesn't seem to matter much. It sounds like there's nothing to do about that. Am I right?
    I also wanted a smoother opening and I wasn't happy with the amount of pressure required to unlock the blades on my two FRN D4s. I don't know how much testing is done at various spring pressures during (and after) the initial design to ensure a happy medium between a "safe" lock and user freindly operation. I decided to modify/bend the spring on ONE of my D4s and compare the operation for some time to the other ONE. I removed the lock bar and noted where the top of the spring was in relation to the handle and liner. I removed and bent the spring in the "bend". Reinstalled, the top of the spring was about 1/16" lower than originally. This was a noticable improvment and I did the other one imediately. A week later I bent them both some more. The top of the spring(s) ended up just below the liner. Total bend was probably about 1/8". They are much more operator friendly. I've done the same on a C05 Standard. The reference to the liner will not apply to the G10 D4.

Ballistol

I have used Ballistol and I think it is the best of the wet lubes available. It is non-toxic and enviro friendly. It is also great on perserving and restoring knife handles. Go to Ballistol.com and they will give you all the info on it. BTW, my first bottle of Ballistol came from the Spyderco outlet store back in the nineties.
    RKH

Spyderco Forum Registered User RLR's Avatar
    The magic cure for all - get ready for it - is 3 in 1 oil.

It lubricates well, cleans the pivot, and while it does attract some gunk, if you keep the oil to a minimum it doesn't cause a problem. Then use a toothpick to pick out the grunge that accumulates and you're good to go.

I used to try all the new-fangled stuff... miltec, White Lightening, etc... but I've gone back to 3 in 1 on my slips and all other knives too.

"A little drop'll do ya!"

Spyderco Forum Registered User spydutch's Avatar
    I've been using Ballistol from about the beginning of my Spydie craziness with great results.

Just thoroughly wash and rinse your knife and put the tiniest drop in the pivot. What I do is cutting a Q tip to a needle like point, put some Ballistol on it and very carefully poke that point on both sides of the tang close to the pivot so there only comes a minimum amount in the pivot area. Open and close the knife a few times to evenly devide the Ballistol amongst the pivot area and you should be good to go.

Ballistol works great for rust protection as well
    Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal)

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge

Thanks for making me the Avatar, Dialex

I have been using Ballistol on folder pivots for year with succes.

JD