Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: My EDC light, REX vampire on a neck lanyard

  1. #1
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,141

    My EDC light, REX vampire on a neck lanyard

    http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=44781

    Living dangerously, I know, with a vampire on a neck lanyard

    Photon REX: rechargeable via vampire off batteries, small, bright, multi-talented, one simple GITD operating button operates all modes, light weight, wears very well on my neck lanyard, hands free is outstanding because I always have my hands full, a competitive $20 + shipping from NGK (I always have other stuff on my NGK wish list, I know that you know what I mean, so shipping is absorbed on multiple fronts).

    I've been wearing this for work & play on a string neck lanyard and I love it. Doesn't come on by itself. Works every time. Hands free usage on the neck lanyard (I supplied the neck lanyard myself, as the light comes with a keychain fob and not a neck lanyard) lets you walk around in the dark carrying stuff and see where you are going just as long as your gut doesn't block the light, that is .







    oregon

  2. #2
    Spyderco Forum Registered User asfaltpiloot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands, Delfzijl
    Posts
    219
    A vampire around your neck
    Looks like a nice and usefull gizmo

  3. #3
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,141
    Easy to recharge: the poles of the charge connectors are tiny magnets so they "want" to attach themselves. The four leds softly flash while charging off a battery and stop their dull flashing when they are charged.

    I usually, never, wear any neck stuff so this is quite a departure for me. I rarely notice that it is around my neck. When needed I yank the lanyard with one finger and into service comes the light. Push the large button once and all LEDs are on full.

    oregon

  4. #4
    Spyderco Forum Registered User Blackhair's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,099
    Wow, this is an awesome-looking light!

    I have the Photon Freedom Micro, and I absolutely love it!

    I'm gonna have to get me one of these.
    Back from an extended hiatus.

  5. #5
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhair View Post
    Wow, this is an awesome-looking light!

    I have the Photon Freedom Micro, and I absolutely love it!

    I'm gonna have to get me one of these.

    If you don't love this light you can break both of my legs and I won't squawk.

    I was surprised to see it for $20 @ NGK. I bot the one I wear for $25 from one of the regular light vendors and thought that was a bargain.

    oregon

  6. #6
    Spyderco Forum Registered User snuffaluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    1hrNofDallas USA
    Posts
    916
    got any pics in a dark room w/ it lit up? It's really nice and small.
    Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

  7. #7
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluff View Post
    got any pics in a dark room w/ it lit up? It's really nice and small.
    Tonight. In the mean time, it is so bright you could chase the girls on the school yard during the daylight and they would run. All four LEDs light at the same time and they are each bright.

    With the one button you can run all the modes (by holding the button down and simply waiting until you see what your want): dimm all the way from full-on bright to can't quite tell if its on, then several flashing modes (different speeds) and finally SOS morse code flashing.

    oregon

  8. #8
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,141

    Night shot, indoors, no ambient light

    About 20 feet away is the wooden door in a dark house. Shot with a Panasonic Lumis DNC-FZ8, no zoom, set to "i" mode (camera decides the settings).

    The only light used is the REX on full tilt. I did not top off the battery before this shot. I hope this helps.



    oregon

  9. #9
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jaislandboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    6,150
    thanks for posting this oregon.....looks pretty neat how long will the Rex last on "full tilt" with a single charge
    brian
    "All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."

  10. #10
    Spyderco Forum Registered User snuffaluff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    1hrNofDallas USA
    Posts
    916
    that's one heck of a lil' light. Great post/info.
    Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

  11. #11
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by jaislandboy View Post
    how long will the Rex last on "full tilt" with a single charge
    It uses the updated Nichia LEDs with Lithium-ion batteries so I expect efficiency from this relatively tiny array. Not sure that I want the runtime champ circling my neck.

    However, I don't put my pinch lights to runtime tests because I don't use them like that. I want a minute here and a few seconds there usage for the odd task: where is that black compost bin out back during the rain storm? Or, what exactly is in the back seat of my work car at 4:00 in the morning. And, of course, what the heck is making that weird screaching noise in the forest as I carry 50 lbs of firewood from the stack around the house?

    Here is some more info, starts about 1/2 way down the page: http://www.equipped.org/ORSummer2007.htm

    Also, CPF may have some more technical reviews.

    In my world I carry the REX. I have put down my Fenix LOD CE running 10440 AAA for a while as the REX wins the convenience/hands-free contest.

    oregon

  12. #12
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluff View Post
    that's one heck of a lil' light. Great post/info.
    Thank you for the kind words.

    And, thank you NGK for carrying this item. As if I didn't already have enough cause to shop at the Pharmacy to Dye for.

    The stink is that USB charging and small footprint solar charging are coming for the REX. Sweet! Going green doesn't hurt too much when a charge costs a fraction of a penny.

    oregon

  13. #13
    Spyderco Forum Registered User asfaltpiloot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands, Delfzijl
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon View Post
    Easy to recharge: the poles of the charge connectors are tiny magnets so they "want" to attach themselves.

    oregon
    Ah. I was wondering about that.
    Smart solution.

  14. #14
    Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by asfaltpiloot View Post
    Ah. I was wondering about that.
    The teeny tiny gold plated magnets (four of them) will stick to any metal surface, desk lamp in my case, like a refrigerator. The recharge rig is so small that this is a good thing so it doesn't get lost.

    I am interested in both the USB (computer outlet/input) and the solar charger for this light when and if they become available. I enjoy the economy and ecology of rechargables.

    I ordered another one from NGK because I couldn't resist at that price and I had some other stuff on my wish list too.

    oregon

  15. #15
    Spyderco Forum Registered User jaislandboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    6,150
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon View Post
    It uses the updated Nichia LEDs with Lithium-ion batteries so I expect efficiency from this relatively tiny array. Not sure that I want the runtime champ circling my neck.

    However, I don't put my pinch lights to runtime tests because I don't use them like that. I want a minute here and a few seconds there usage for the odd task: where is that black compost bin out back during the rain storm? Or, what exactly is in the back seat of my work car at 4:00 in the morning. And, of course, what the heck is making that weird screaching noise in the forest as I carry 50 lbs of firewood from the stack around the house?

    Here is some more info, starts about 1/2 way down the page: http://www.equipped.org/ORSummer2007.htm

    Also, CPF may have some more technical reviews.

    In my world I carry the REX. I have put down my Fenix LOD CE running 10440 AAA for a while as the REX wins the convenience/hands-free contest.

    oregon
    thanks for the info oregon
    brian
    "All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •