Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your Mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hey, they're all just practice & Rome wasn't built in a day. Good job on even trying to do one! If you want it done differently, it looks like there's still plenty of wood there to re-shape a bit on the edges, round a bit more and change the contours. Tape the blade to avoid cuts and scoring the blade, use a sanding block (a rubber one, small) and some finer paper. You already have the shape correct, the rounding can still be done at this point & after all, it's just wood! First attempt, thumbs up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rwb1500 View Post
    I feel like a hack even posting this in present company but it is what it is. In my defense this was the first time I've ever worked with wood period, and basically used only a Dremel and hand tools. It feels great in the hand it just isn't so pretty. I actually finished it months ago and ended up putting it in a box and thinking I wasn't going to use it until I found a sheath. Well I came upon it today by accident so I figured I'd share. The good news is I learned a lot and am ready for another try.

That's the thing you've learnt and will improve if the MT were cheaper here I'd give it a go instead of getting others to scale them for me.
    With the cost of importing buying stabilised wood , pins and liners it'd be a $200 mistake here so I chicken out and that's not a bad effort there bud.
    Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm (not saying its a failure but your not happy) keep at it fella .

Quote Originally Posted by Bladekeeper View Post
    Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm (not saying its a failure but your not happy) keep at it fella .
    A good quote that goes hand in hand with this is "Sucking at something is just the first step in becoming great at it!"

And RWB1500, you appear to have skipped the first step and gone straight to being pretty good at it, so you're already ahead of the quote! Keep at it!

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    Nice Mule chuck that polished edge gives it a sweet appeal too !.

Spyderco Forum Registered User chuck_roxas45's Avatar
    Nice Mule chuck that polished edge gives it a sweet appeal too !.
    Thanks, I still haven't given it a proper workout. I wanna get a sheath done first so I can take it to either the auto repair shop or to the gunstore. They have dirty cardboard from shipments all the time.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    This is my M390 Mule with some new scales. The scales are made from unstabilized Australian red gum with thin red G10 liners. I decided to try something different this time and fitted a piece of red/black linen micarta to the tail of the scales using GFlex epoxy. As usual, these are knockdown scales held on with 3/16" pivot bolts and no glue. I ran out of leather lacing material as I was tying the lanyard, so I had to cut it a bit short. I'll end up retying it soon to make it more functional...

TedP

That is awsum lookin
    Steel Snob M-4

Thumbs up

Next very nice one Thanks Ted for showing

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    This is my M390 Mule with some new scales. The scales are made from unstabilized Australian red gum with thin red G10 liners. I decided to try something different this time and fitted a piece of red/black linen micarta to the tail of the scales using GFlex epoxy. As usual, these are knockdown scales held on with 3/16" pivot bolts and no glue. I ran out of leather lacing material as I was tying the lanyard, so I had to cut it a bit short. I'll end up retying it soon to make it more functional...

TedP

Do you find aesthetically that since you started using liners the Mules are just that extra bit refined ?.
    Or is it neither here not there for you ? great knife btw .

Do you find aesthetically that since you started using liners the Mules are just that extra bit refined ?.
    Or is it neither here not there for you ? great knife btw .
    Thanks, Bladekeeper!

Personally, I don't lean one way or the other aesthetically - it all depends on the project itself. There are some occasions where liners add a really cool look to the knife that is impossible to achieve otherwise - other times they provide a nice contrast to the wood. I'm working on a set of unstabilized redwood scales right now that have a full 1/8" ivory paper micarta liner. This is much thicker than I normally use, and it almost looks like a layer cake with redwood frosting. In this case, I just liked the effect. But the main reason I started using liners was more practical.

A lot of woods are splintery, chippy, or have tightly interlocked grain (like the unstabilized Redwood, Koa, Palm, and other species) - which means they tend to develop a ragged edge where the scales meet the tang. This can be especially worrisome if you've put a lot of time into a set of scales and the wood chips during the final sanding/shaping. I've tried to repair scales that have done this many times, but have never had a satisfactory result. The liners, since they are usually a tough synthetic material, provide a bit more stability for the tang side of the scales and make it easier to finish off the knife.

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User Evil D's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
    Lexan scales!
    That is very cool. I would get some really thick slabs of lexan and contour the scales and polish them out. They'd be almost impossible to get that clear again but you could get them close.

What would also be cool is aluminum diamond plate...hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Rwb1500 View Post
    I feel like a hack even posting this in present company but it is what it is. In my defense this was the first time I've ever worked with wood period, and basically used only a Dremel and hand tools. It feels great in the hand it just isn't so pretty. I actually finished it months ago and ended up putting it in a box and thinking I wasn't going to use it until I found a sheath. Well I came upon it today by accident so I figured I'd share. The good news is I learned a lot and am ready for another try.

That's not bad at all, you just need to blend that in a little better. I'm assuming that's a thumb relief? That was the first thing that popped into my head. I bet it's comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_roxas45 View Post
    I hate you Chuck. If there ever was a mule I wish I had got (aside from the S90V), it's this one. I don't know why, because I would probably never use it, but if you're gonna have a mule this one is about as good as it gets.

SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
    ~David

Official plea to Sal: Can we PLEASE get a DLC Yojimbo 2? PLEASE!!?

I made a set of scales this weekend for a friend. These are made from stabilized black palm. Talk about difficult to work with! Wow. Even though it was stabilized, the wood split and chipped. It had all sorts of weird soft spots in the grain. Really a challenge. One of the scales chipped a large chunk out right during final sanding - so I grabbed the bottle of CA glue and just saturated both sets of scales with thin CA. Let it harden, sanded it down to 40 grit, then soaked them again. Sanded them one more time and finished with a top coat of Tru-Oil followed by Ren Wax. A little rough around the edges, but now that it is sealed up, it should be tough as nails.

Sorry for the low-quality photos. My basement doesn't have good lighting for photos.

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User Donut's Avatar
    Those look really nice Ted. Good grain to them!
    -Brian
    A distinguished lurker.
    Chat with us. Sharpthings - A Blog Site

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    those look awesome! cant wait to see them installed
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chris_H's Avatar
    I always like the look of black palm in woodworking and wood turning applications. But, Ted, your scales above are just as nice.
    "All your are belong to us."
    ** WTC # 1032 1533 **

I found a chunk of old-growth redwood burl that had been sitting in a woodworker's shop for many years. It was unstabilized, but a lot denser and harder than most second-growth redwood available on the market. Still softer than many woods, it has a really nice feel in the hand because it hasn't been stabilized. I paired it with a 1/8" ivory paper micarta liner because I liked the contrast between the silky redwood and the creamy liner.

I sanded them out to 1000 grit, sealed them with 5 coats of TruOil and a top coat of Ren Wax. As usual, these are knockdown scales - attached with 3/16" pivot bolts and screws (no epoxy).

Unfortunately, these scales aren't meant for hard use - they are simply too soft to hold up to any heavy camping trip or yard work. I'll probably unmount them from the K390 and put them on another mule at some point. The K390 begs to be used!

TedP

They look great though.
    Steel Snob M-4

Spyderco Forum Registered User SQSAR's Avatar
    I'd say they are the best looking scales you've made that I've seen you share on here. Nice work.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Finally got some time to finish up some scales for one of my 9Cr18Mo Mules. Brown canvas micarta with orange G-10 liners. Sanded it to 1000 grit and then coated with mineral oil and wiped clean with a rag. The scales aren't super shiny, but I like how they feel. It would probably look a little nicer with some sort of sealant, but I don't want to lose the tactile feeling it has right now, so I may just stick with it as is.

-Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Super Blue Delica, G-10 BlackHawk, S110V Mule