Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your Mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    The Clovis pouch was available from Knives Ship Free (KSF), but I don't see it on their web site any more. It was a pouch more than a sheath, though. It didn't have a welt, so you risk cutting through the leather if you insert the blade too forcefully. KSF has a whole selection of sheaths to choose from, though - several of which would fit a Mule.

TedP
    Thank you i will see what i can come up with. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Working on my ebony scales, need better lighting for this stuff, it soaks up too much light! Here's the Halpern scales that arrived today. I ordered an extra set of pins and have the ebony scales shaped, first coat of oil is in place now. I'm going to redo the curve at the blade, don't like what I've done with it, but at least I's too long and not too short. Once this is finished, I'll get started on the sheath, basic black, of course.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    I finished up this Mule project today. My MT-07 needed a fresh set of scales and I decided to try a new wood from Mark at Burl Source - a slab of stabilized cascara sagrada, sometimes known as buckthorn. I was trying to use the wave-like flame in the wood to echo the ripples in the damascus blade. I'm not real enamored with the overall effect with this steel... but the wood itself is absolutely gorgeous. You can't really see it in the pictures, but the cascara is almost translucent - it sparkles, flames and shimmers in the light. This three dimensional iridescent quality is referred to as chatoyance - and the pictures don't do it justice. The cascara worked very well in the shop. It didn't splinter or chip out and was relatively hard. I sanded the wood out to 2000 grit and then put a coat of Renaissance Wax on top. Great stuff to work with!

TedP

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    that looks amazing Ted! love the blue g10 liner
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    that looks amazing Ted! love the blue g10 liner
    + 1 that burl looks great with blue liners , I'd not have put it with blue in my head.
    But the light wood compliments it perfectly IMO lovely.

Here's a sheath for my Mule. This one is the ebony grip with a simple leather sheath. Decided to keep it simple on this one, just lined tooling leather with attached belt loop on the back. The retention is from forming on the grip and molding, no fastening involved, but it holds well enough with the knife upside-down.

Spyderco Forum Registered User toomzz's Avatar
    Nice clean job Ted, the blue liner contrasts beautifully with the wood and suminagashi-patern!
    I picked up my two K390s at the customs-office yesterday. Prepare for lignum vitae..
    Even in times of peace a gentleman still keeps a sword by his side

Spyderco Forum Registered User Sharktooth's Avatar
    Lexan scales!
    C123CFBA || K04PBK || FB20FBK || C90BK || C28PYL2 || C90GRE || MT17 || C41GGR5 || C28POR2 || C11FPOR || C11SBK || C10PBK || C10FPBL || LBKP3 || C101G2 || C41G5 || C41BK || C81GCMO2 || C81G2 || 204 || 303MF || SP1 ||

Quote Originally Posted by noseoil View Post
    Here's a sheath for my Mule. This one is the ebony grip with a simple leather sheath. Decided to keep it simple on this one, just lined tooling leather with attached belt loop on the back. The retention is from forming on the grip and molding, no fastening involved, but it holds well enough with the knife upside-down.

Nice! Do you have trouble with cutting the sheath as you put the knife in and take it out (cutting the molded portion around the handle)?
    Do no harm. Do know harm.

So far, no trouble at all, but I'm very careful. It is certainly sharp enough that a careless bit of pushing would cut the leather. As long as I do my part, it works well. I think the first time I'm in a hurry, I'll be making another sheath on this one, as the steel is very hard and very sharp. I didn't go to a polished edge, just a fine diamond which is a bit long in the tooth at 15 degrees per side, but seems to be plenty good enough. I'm looking forward to seeing how long this edge holds up for general use, but it should be a good long while.

This is my first Mule run, but I really like the ergonomics incorporated in the design. It is simple, compact & elegant, all at the same time. Looking forward to the next run already.

My K-390 I just had made ........cocobollo
    Steel Snob M-4

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    A beautiful piece of cocobolo, DJ. I love the color and grain - it looks like waves washing up on a beach.

TedP

Thanks for the comment ,
    Steel Snob M-4

Spyderco Forum Registered User kennethsime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post

Simple yet elegant. Perfect.

Just finished the B75P mule project. Dressed in bubinga with green liners. I used hidden brass 3/16 pins covered by stabilized box elder inlays with a brass lanyard hole. I still need to complete the finish but I really like the look of the bubinga finished and un-finished so I thought I would post the pre-completed picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Spyderco Forum Registered User Holland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharktooth View Post
    Lexan scales!
    very cool idea! thanks for sharing
    -----Dreaming of: M4 Bird & Trout collaboration with Phil Wilson-----

Phil Wilson Smoke Creek s110v, SouthFork, Gayle Bradley, Chaparral 1, Chaparral 2, Native 5, Para2, Para1 SE, Caly 3, Delica 4, Dragonfly 2, Ladybug 3

-Spencer

Spyderco Forum Registered User toomzz's Avatar

Easyshare with photobucket Older work; two Elmax mules in Multigreen G10 and cocobolo. Corbied as usual...
    Even in times of peace a gentleman still keeps a sword by his side

Quote Originally Posted by toomzz View Post

Easyshare with photobucket Older work; two Elmax mules in Multigreen G10 and cocobolo. Corbied as usual...
    Those are lovely especially the green the Elmax is a wicked blade and that sheath is great too.

This was completed for me today a S30V woodcraft in English Walnut burl sorry I don't have ability to post pictures please follow the link though .
    Any comments welcome thanks all kindly finished by Quickbeam a bb member I think he's done a great job will have it this week .
    http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...-Spyderco-Mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User Rwb1500's Avatar
    I feel like a hack even posting this in present company but it is what it is. In my defense this was the first time I've ever worked with wood period, and basically used only a Dremel and hand tools. It feels great in the hand it just isn't so pretty. I actually finished it months ago and ended up putting it in a box and thinking I wasn't going to use it until I found a sheath. Well I came upon it today by accident so I figured I'd share. The good news is I learned a lot and am ready for another try.