Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your Mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG 1st try. Gift for a friend. Need to touch up CF and need to figure out how to polish/finish the bolts and CF.

When last I posted a pic, I was able to have it appear in the thread and not as a link. Any idea how I did that?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Powdercommander; 02-19-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: ???

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    Thanks for the compliment, Bladekeeper. I would really like to have seen this slab before it was stabilized - you can see where the resin penetrated and hardened the grain and the spalted areas. It would probably have been unusable before it was stabilized. I think parts of the scales look almost like fossilized mammoth.

Cheers!
    TedP
    Possibly bad seasoning maybe dried too quick although from what I have been told spalted wood has a tendency towards problems adjusting to temp changes.
    The spalted maple being the most common problem wood I wanted it for my woodcraft but was advised against it as I live in a cold area of the uk.
    I see what you mean the mammoth that has the stag like pattern , I have a custom pukko being built by EDF knives a maker from holland.
    His work can be seen on badlands forum but its in German the mammoth in this knife is plain white with the grey/black pitting.

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Here is my latest Mule project. I've had an older ZDP-189 Mule stuck in my queue for a while. It is one of the first run of MT-04 blades with the extremely hard heat treat. I decided to put a set of stabilized rock maple burl scales on it. It was down to the very end of the job - I had to do the final fit out of the bolts then finish out the trim on the tang and polish it up.

When I was inserting the middle bolt, the holes must have been slightly misaligned. PING! The handle broke clean in two across the tang - right through the bolt hole. It almost sounded like glass cracking, it was so brittle. It was totally my fault -I wasn't paying attention. Even though I wasn't exerting that much pressure, and I had reamed the scales and tang previously, I thought there was enough clearance. I caught it with just the right amount of force at exactly the right place...and PING! Just goes to show you how much of a tradeoff you have to make to get blades into the upper hardness ranges!

Anyway, I went ahead and assembled the knife - I figured it can at least look nice in my display cabinet. I polished the maple out to 1000 grit and since it was nicely stabilized, I just added a top coat of Ren Wax and called it a day.

TedP

Last edited by phillipsted; 05-01-2013 at 06:05 PM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Sorry to hear it cracked on you. I still have my ZDP Mule in the box, waiting for scales. I'll make sure to be extra careful when I finally make some!

Speaking of making Mule scales, I haven't been able to make any for about a year and a half now, due to not having a garage or yard where I could make a bunch of dust. I finally found a new room for rent this past week that has garage space as well as a yard, so I can finally pull my tools out of storage and start making stuff again. I'm really excited to get back to making scales, as I've had a concept for my Super Blue Mule for the last year that I've wanted to try out, so that will be my first project. Hopefully I'll have some pictures soon!
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug

Nice scales ted shame about that crack but I'd be tempted to chip a little off and see what the RC stands at .
    If its above then maybe it wasn't entirely your fault.
    No offence meant your skills surpass mine ten fold , but was it very cold whilst you were working on it ?.
    I know your probably more than aware of all the variables just curiosity really.
    I am still waiting on my woodcraft lost the use of my leg recently hopefully not permanent but I'm also waiting on somebody else.
    Given they are ill too then I'd rather wait a year than ask again I just hope he gets better he is one of life's good guys.
    Beautiful scales T and a display piece I'd be happy to have but my OCD would go crazy .

The original MT-04 blades were released at around 67 hardness. Spyderco re-treated a portion of the run to a more "optimal" HRC (64-65) and offered both for a period of time (around Dec 2009). You can check out the original thread here.

Tom Krein supposedly broke two of the hard MT-04s when attempting to insert pins (exactly what I was doing when it broke). So I guess I'm in good company!

TedP

Great company indeed , and you know it struck me you could fill the crack with GITD powder etc then it'll look intentional .
    I am a nightmare with my collection pieces if one gets scratched out comes the kit to clean it up OCD is not fun it wasn't as bad.
    But since I started collecting remember a vallatton here is $319 its got out of control" but its all relative to wealth "some folk say nope if I had billions it'd still bug the hell out of me.

Spyderco Forum Registered User JV3's Avatar
    triplets.

Well, here is my latest Mule project. I've been looking for the *right* piece of Amboyna burl for a while now. I finally found the one I was looking for from Mark at BurlSource - nice two-toned coloring, not too many inclusions or cracks, lots of figure... Good stuff. I paired the Amboyna with a B75P Mule and some thin red liners. The Amboyna was a little bit of a challenge, like a lot of burls. The grain is all over the place and I kept getting tearouts and popped eyes that needed to be mended with CA glue. It all came together in the end though. I sanded down to 1000 grit and finished with Olie's Oil, which I've never used before. It is a proprietary mixture, but it appears to be a combination of polymerized oils and wax. You apply it thin, let it set for a day, wipe off the excess and let it cure for three days. I topped it with some Ren wax and a good buffing.

TedP

Worry less - Breathe more...

My trusted companion, a Spyderco Solo SoO1PS, black micarta, Peter Atwood Lanslide, capped off with a diamond knot.
    Spydie Fanatic #185

That is top drawer Ted and liners too much more refined IMO .
    Is the separate tone new burl growth ?.
    Really nice I have one amboyna knife and it has voids although they don't show on pics.
    Loving that one .

Edit: why does predictive text always put if instead of Of and living instead of loving grr predicted wrong .

That's a nice one Ted! Loving that piece of burl!

Spyderco Forum Registered User OldSarSwmr's Avatar
    Great looking scales, Ted. That Amboyna has great character.

Dan

Looks great Ted! I like the red liners. Your fit and finish is improving.

We have to be getting close to the release of the next mule team!
    Current : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10

Hey Ted thanks alot for sharing your knives.Awesome pics and scales!!!

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/...ps040050c6.jpg
    CTS-XHP Mule, first try worked pretty well
    Last edited by Skidoosh; 05-15-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Nicely done, Skidoosh! It looks like you've got a red liner on there - very classy. And what kind of wood is that? Box Elder? Buckeye? How is it finished?

Could you show us a couple more shots?

TedP

Ted, You've given me plenty of inspiration. I'll try to get a few more shots up tomorrow, I had a problem getting them to post. I can get the link but not the full pic. The wood is spalted maple burl. I sanded it down to about 800 and then finished with danish oil, about six coats and wax. I've got another in green micarta that isn't quite finished yet.
    Last edited by Skidoosh; 05-15-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Man i want a Mule Team so bad and cant seem to find one if anyone knows where i can get one please message me

Spyderco Forum Registered User jabba359's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYJAY View Post
    Man i want a Mule Team so bad and cant seem to find one if anyone knows where i can get one please message me
    Spyderco makes runs of about 400-1000 at a time (different steel every time). They are currently between runs, so keep an eye on the forum and usually we get a two week notice when the next one in due. If you need one right now, eBay is probably your best bet (though at inflated prices).
    -Kyle

On the Fence: Tuff, Techno
    Latest arrivals: Des Horn, Dialex Junior, Super Blue Manbug