Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your Mule

Spyderco Forum Registered User MyKnife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toomzz View Post
    THAT is not scaling a mule, THAT is art, COOL-COOL-COOL. That guy has it all, skills, insight. Look at that small maker's mark on the tang as finishing touch! Subtle, great mule, kudos.
    Tell us more about it and him

Tomas
    Ok,
    he's My friend Richard Tesarik. He did this Mule for CustomSpyderco Project: www.customspyderco.com. He lives in Czech Republic and he is on the top of czech knife makers. Yes, You can visit his website: http://www.tesariknoze.cz
    Thanks for interest!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Howdy... new here. Just bought a couple of mules and trying to figure out what to do. This thread gives me so many ideas Fantastic work guys.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Left Hand Path's Avatar
    Cord-wrap 9Cr18Mo

DSCN7612
    -Nick

Join Today!
    http://www.KnifeRights.org

Spyderco Forum Registered User xceptnl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Left Hand Path View Post
    Cord-wrap 9Cr18Mo
    Nice wrap and the snake knot in that pattern cord looks sweet.
    My 's:
    Native, Manix 2 (BD1,154CM,S30V,M4,XHP,S110V,Cruwear), Delica 4 (White,Red,Brown,Blue,BRG,G-10), Spyderhawk, D'fly (H1,G-10,SB), Police3, Volpe, Military (S30V,XHP,D2,M390,BG42,440V,Cruwear), Superleafs, Forager, D2 Para, Kopas, Kiwis, Caly (JR's,3,3.5), Para2 (XHP,204P), Stretch (SS,FRN's,CF), Rescues, Dyad Jr, Pingos, Southard, AIR, Jess Horns, Forum N5, Lil Matriarch, Barong, Superhawk, Chinook II, ATR, SPY-DK, Captain, Ti UKPK, Mules

*Landon*

Spyderco Forum Registered User phillipsted's Avatar
    Here's my latest ELMAX mule shod in Cocobolo. I've admired this wood for a long time, but never picked it up to work with. It is very dense, very hard, and very oily. It is also very forgiving and responds beautifully to shaping/sanding/polishing - although it took a long time to shape it due to its hardness. Also, I couldn't use the belt sander because it created enough heat to start burning the oil in the wood. Smells like burnt popcorn, actually...

I counterdrilled the holes and attached the scales using 0.187"x0.500" pivot bolts - without glue. I wanted to be able to remove them in the future. This particular knife isn't going to be a user right away.

Thanks again, Sal, for keeping the Mule project up and running!

TedP

Here's my new Elmax Mule. The scales are green micarta, with some gray layers I've never noticed in green micarta before. The pins are 3/8" micarta. I started with 100 grit paper and went to 2000, then buffed with black, brown, red, and white compounds, using a Dremel tool.

Mule family photo

Doug - that is some nice work! I really like the micarta caps over the pins. It gives the knife a whole new look.

I've seen those gray layers on some runs of canvas micarta. I think that since the canvas material is so rough and thick, that these are the thin lines of resin between the layers of cotton material. The micarta makers add a colorant to the resin to turn it green or black, and in some cases it cures a slightly different color than the material absorbed into the cotton canvas. I actually like it when it does this...

Again - very nice work! You are starting to build a really unique family of Mules.

TedP
    Worry less - Breathe more...

My trusted companion, a Spyderco Solo SoO1PS, black micarta, Peter Atwood Lanslide, capped off with a diamond knot.
    Spydie Fanatic #185

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by phillipsted View Post
    I really like what you've done with the shape of the handle here. Looks like it fills out the hand for a better grip than the thin slab type scales.

Doug - that is some nice work! I really like the micarta caps over the pins. It gives the knife a whole new look.
    Ted,
    Thanks for the good words! Actually, the brown micarta isn't caps, they're pins that run all the way through. The large holes in the Mule are big enough 3/8" rods. I might do another one later using micarta rods in some of the smaller holes (3/16", I think). We'll see how well the epoxy holds it all together. I just need to get a couple of good sheaths for two of them now.

Doug

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zencowboy's Avatar
    Yep, I like those Micarta scales Doug!! You have inspired me to make some micarta pins soon. Would have to make a 'thicker' stack of material in the resin to get those made.
    Thanks.

work in progress...

Hello all, here is a CruWear with stabliized A bury maple. I only at the moment have a dremel and hand sanding. Done sanding up to 600 grit thus far. The scales are still dull at the moment BUT when finished I will show how far I hopefully will get to a nice polish.
    I seemed to like to have grip on my scales for in the woods and when hands are wet or gloves.

Before beginning...

During sanding...

I got a little booboo on the butt end screw hole when I was going to a 1/4 inch 145 degree drill bit. It staring to rip/splint the wood. Then I just started using my Stretch knife to whittle out the holes. I got so distraught and will have to figure out how to fix without having to sand down the scales thickness.

Nice work, Zen.

Here's my latest work-in-progress. I decided to go with something different this time.

Name:  knife_wip1.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  80.1 KB
    Last edited by GnifeGnut; 04-07-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GnifeGnut View Post
    Nice work, Zen. Here's my latest work-in-progress. I decided to go with something different this time.
    Name:  knife_wip1.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  80.1 KB
    Wow! What is that scale material, GnifeGnut -- celluloid or acrylic? Looks brilliant!

How scratch resistant and durable do you think it will be?

TedP

My trusted companion, a Spyderco Solo SoO1PS, black micarta, Peter Atwood Lanslide, capped off with a diamond knot.
    Spydie Fanatic #185

That is beautiful GG. What is it?
    Thanks!

Wow! What is that scale material, GnifeGnut -- celluloid or acrylic? Looks brilliant!

How scratch resistant and durable do you think it will be?

TedP
    Quote Originally Posted by Zencowboy View Post
    That is beautiful GG. What is it?
    Thanks!
    It's an acrylic called Lucitylic. It feels pretty hard so it should be a bit more scratch resistant than some. I'll find out soon.

I finished off the first of my two Cruwear Mules today. Decided to put some basic black linen Micarta scales on it - I want to take it out and put it through some real-world usage. These aren't the prettiest scales I've done, but they are pretty comfortable in the hand.

TedP

Nicely done Ted! I like the smooth holes for the screws and linen micarta. Mine are off getting a boltron sheath. What will be next:-0

Spyderco Forum Registered User maa14's Avatar
    Woah! That stuff looks awesome. I wonder if it is good as a handle material?

Quote Originally Posted by Zencowboy View Post
    That stuff is gorgeous! Just curious - it looks like those pen blanks are 5"x0.75"x0.75". This doesn't seem quite big enough for a Mule Scale. How did you get build a full slab out of these pen blanks?

TedP

Spydie Fanatic #185