Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiwimania

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Geez Deacon; you keep showing these pics and of natural materials with shiny bolsters and soon you have many followers chanting your bolsters and natural materials mantra...

Quite a great collection.

Does anyone know if most ivory is so "grainy", I can't say that I've seen it up close before, so I didn't know.
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User jaislandboy's Avatar
    Alas, Zen, I have never seen real Ivory before....
    Paul, i'm glad you approved of the pix....I do enjoy "fondling" my kiwis too
    I guess i prefer wood for handle materials over bones 'n' minerals currently, esp. the oily/dense kinds like Cocobolo... or even Deacon's lignum vitae STR-pimped Stretch.....
    brian
    "All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zenheretic View Post
    Geez Deacon; you keep showing these pics and of natural materials with shiny bolsters and soon you have many followers chanting your bolsters and natural materials mantra...

Quite a great collection.

Does anyone know if most ivory is so "grainy", I can't say that I've seen it up close before, so I didn't know.
    Thanks Zen The short simple answer would be that those pieces probably show a bit more color contrast between the "growth layers" than average.

But, think of ivory as being something like wood, a natural substance that grows over a long period of time. Like wood, some pieces will show more contrast than others and, also like wood, even pieces cut from the same block, but oriented differently will show less, or more "grain". There are probably also differences between the ivory from different species. Then there's the additional factor of age. Fresh off the elephant, ivory is a creamy white, but it tends to darken with age, especially if exposed to sunlight. The ivory on that Kiwi is pre-ban "legal ivory" so it's at least twenty years old, and from what the seller told me, I believe it is closer to one hundred. So it's had plenty of time to acquire a "suntan".
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User jaislandboy's Avatar
    Well I goofed.... I believe the purplish SFSW kiwi I posted pix of is Sugilite (not Charoite)....
    I really like those "full panel" Kiwis Paul.....that black pearl / red coral duo... I can't wait to see the Slovakian Opal version....
    brian
    "All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."

Spyderco Forum Registered User MAT888's Avatar

Ivory

Experienced Biologic scientists claim they can tell the shape of the animal alive from looking at his tusks at dead. I wonder if this is the same as them looking at the year rings on trees.

I find this interesting stuff . It is amazing that a large bone will get different colours from different soil compounds.

Do keep us posted with your latest aquirements Paul!!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar

Thumbs up

Wonderful Paul!!! My favorite is the 2nd Mammoth Tooth, just gorgeous...How come you don't have one in 18k gold? I know gold is soft but it would make a nice safe queen...don't ya think?....Great collection!....Makes my mouth water!....Doc
    Last edited by Dr. Snubnose; 09-04-2007 at 12:14 AM.
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User Agent Starling's Avatar

Talking Aubergine rules...

Wow, nice eye candy Deacon! The one I like best is the purple stone(r) one!

Starling
    "Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."

Spyderco Forum Registered User boxer93's Avatar
    Paul,
    Your flock has grown nicely. I like that your patriotic is 2-sided I'm curious as to your marquetry(sp) Is Bill making a kiwi on a kiwi.
    Chris
    Be Excellent to each other. Chris' Q page
    WTC #242, #2223, #2225

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Snubnose View Post
    Wonderful Paul!!! How come you don't have one in 18k gold? I know gold is soft but it would make a nice safe queen...don't ya think?....Doc
    i can just see Paul melting down some right now..lol. great collection Paul.
    WTC #1444 Always Remember
    Need info on a particular , just click here
    My knives
    Spydie count: a few

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    Powerful pictorial! You should have let out a few a day, we may not be able to withstand such beauty.
    Waiting for....Calypso Jr.,

SCARAMOUCHE!

That picasso marble is so funky! It's like a flannel kiwi. It really matches the model though! I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by jaislandboy View Post
    Well I goofed.... I believe the purplish SFSW kiwi I posted pix of is Sugilite (not Charoite)....
    I really like those "full panel" Kiwis Paul.....that black pearl / red coral duo... I can't wait to see the Slovakian Opal version....
    No problem Brian, NGK and I may have added to the confusion, since when I bought my Charoite one they had the names crossed on the website and I was calling it Sugilite for a long time. And I screwed up too, the stuff Jano sent me is Onyx, not Opal. But I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it completed. Here's a preview, a mock-up done in Xara...

... I do this whenever I'm considering having a Kiwi done in material I supply, so when Jano first sent me the onyx, I wet it, to get an idea of how it will look polished, took some photos of it wet, scaled the photo to one I have of a Kiwi in Xara and "cut" scales out of the stone.

Quote Originally Posted by MAT888 View Post
    Experienced Biologic scientists claim they can tell the shape of the animal alive from looking at his tusks at dead. I wonder if this is the same as them looking at the year rings on trees.

I find this interesting stuff . It is amazing that a large bone will get different colours from different soil compounds.

Do keep us posted with your latest aquirements Paul!!!

Matt I'm sure that the varying living conditions over an animals lifespan do have an effect on the thickness, densiity, and possibly even the color, of some of the layers. It makes sense that layers formed in years when food or water were scarce would differ from those formed in years of plenty. It would be quite surprising if they did not.

As for the dinosaur bone, when you think about it, mineral content is what's responsible for the color of all rocks. Malachite, for example, gets its greens from copper salts. And you're right, the history and details of the various materials used for scales can be a fascinating study in its own right.

Will definitely post the new ones as they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Snubnose View Post
    Wonderful Paul!!! My favorite is the 2nd Mammoth Tooth, just gorgeous...How come you don't have one in 18k gold? I know gold is soft but it would make a nice safe queen...don't ya think?....Great collection!....Makes my mouth water!....Doc
    Thing is Doc, none of my Kiwis are safe queens, they all get pocket time and use. Some more, some less, but they all get a turn. That said, I still think gold work has a place on "users". So far, the only example I have is on a Marcus Hunt engraved C105 Persian, but you never know. I've been kicking around the idea of getting another Sambar Stag Kiwi done, then having someone do engraving with gold inlays on the bolsters, and add gold pins to the scales.

Quote Originally Posted by boxer93 View Post
    Paul,
    Your flock has grown nicely. I like that your patriotic is 2-sided I'm curious as to your marquetry(sp) Is Bill making a kiwi on a kiwi.
    Chris
    Thanks Chris. No, not a Kiwi on a Kiwi, although that thought did cross my mind, so maybe next year. These are going to be "mini earthlings".

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Carl View Post
    That picasso marble is so funky! It's like a flannel kiwi. It really matches the model though! I love it!
    Yes, Picasso marble does have a funky "disorganized" look to it. The pieces on that Kiwi are nicely book matched, but in general the stone shows tremendous variation in color and pattern.
    Last edited by The Deacon; 09-05-2007 at 04:30 AM.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki

Spyderco Forum Registered User boxer93's Avatar
    Excellent choice on the earthling. I have always admired the older versions of that design. I should check to see if Bill would consider doing kopa's again
    Chris
    Be Excellent to each other. Chris' Q page
    WTC #242, #2223, #2225

Spyderco Forum Registered User 224477's Avatar
    Great thread Paul!
    I am looking forward on the "slovakian" onyx kiwi as well
    I am sooo glad to be back home, after the past weeks, again.
    "Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."

Smile Another one joins the flock...

This little guy arrived this morning from NGK. Scales are Gold Quartz. Very striking, looks like what might happen if you splashed molten gold on ice...

For those contemplating a SFSW Kiwi - NGK just got a bunch of new ones.

Still waiting for the Slovakian Onyx and Lignum Vitae ones to arrive. According to Bill, they should be here any day now.
    Paul

Spyderco Forum Registered User The CoPilot's Avatar
    Beautiful, Paul. Simply beautiful!
    <>< The most important blood trail leads to the Cross ><>
    C09 CoPilots My Specialty

The gold-quartz looks really interesting, wonderful patern. What nr. are you currently on Kiwis Paul?

Spyderco Forum Registered User ozspyder's Avatar
    Phwoar !!! Paul, Your Kiwi's surely are first class mate

This one is looking especially classy. The gold figuring within the marble looks fantastic. Your specimen looks very nice indeed.

I think once you get your Slovakian Onyx and Lignum Vitae ones, you will need to update your flock of Kiwis photo

Cheers
    Daniel
    Cheers
    Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)

I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
    * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *

Thanks Daniel, I may need to find a taller tripod to get them all in one shot. Do want to do a new one, but also think the Kiwimania page is a better way to view them, it's reached the point where group shots don't really show off the individual knives well.

Quote Originally Posted by 224477 View Post
    The gold-quartz looks really interesting, wonderful patern. What nr. are you currently on Kiwis Paul?
    Thanks Jano. And I think it looks even better than the photos show. But it must be a bear to work with, as they charge more for it than any of the other stones they use.

As for the size of the flock, it depends a bit on how you count. Including the quartz one, there are now 39 on my Kiwimania page. But two of those might be considered doubles, so 37 truly unique ones would be the most conservative number. If you count my "spares", then it's 52 as of the moment, but that could change if the Onyx and Lignum ones show up from SFSW, or a couple more "spares" that I ordered arrive, or both.
    Paul

Paul, thanks, that a serious amount of mods, but I think there are still many options you dont have, so a big reserve for further additions.
    What is the gold/quartz actually "made of" is that real gold in some kind of stone? I guess this time it is the language barrier for me.