Thread: How do you measure blade length?

Spyderco Forum Registered User PSU's Avatar

Question How do you measure blade length?

While looking at my Caly3 I wondered what convention is typically used to measure the length of a blade, especially knives with a choil. For a knife with a choil it seems to me like there are two main ways to measure its blade length. One is to measure the straight line from the tip of the blade to front of the handle. Another method involves measuring the the straight line from the tip the blade to the farthest portion of the choil (blade) that juts out from the handle.

From what I can remember for the Caly3, these measurements yield blade lengths of approximately 3" and 3.2", respectively. Spyderco lists its blade as 3" so I can safely assume that they use the first method.

I am wondering if there is an accepted convention for measuring this length? From a legal standpoint, this measurement might be important in some areas.
    People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User David Lowry's Avatar
    From the end of the handle to the tip of the blade.

It doesn't matter if the knife has a choil or not the blade is still the same length. You will notice on the Spyderco website that they list a blade length and a cutting edge length.
    - - - -
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I was under the impression that there was no definitive definition of blade length?

Spyderco Forum Registered User wec12's Avatar
    Yeah, what David said. When I first got my Salt I, I thought the length of the blade was "cutting edge"; apparently, it's not .

█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector. █
    "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
    █ My small abandoned gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/Mr.Disse...nifeCollection

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chucula's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lowry
    From the end of the handle to the tip of the blade.

It doesn't matter if the knife has a choil or not the blade is still the same length. You will notice on the Spyderco website that they list a blade length and a cutting edge length.
    Yeah thats what I thought. Blade length is always from tip to handle.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Monocrom's Avatar
    Open knife part way, and measure from the very back of the blade (not the cutting edge) to the very tip.
    "The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

-John Cleese-

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Open the knife fully, measure from the most forward point on the handle to the tip of the blade. While there is no guarantee a "beat cop" would measure that way (or that they measure at all), it would probably be the standard the DA and courts would use.

At the prisons where I use to work, employees were expected to carry a knife, but there was a 2" blade limit. There was also a very simple device to test whether a knife was OK to carry. It consisted of a 2" high block of wood mounted on a board. The knife was opened, held point down, and the side of the blade slid down the block. If the handle struck the block before the blade touched the board, the knife was OK to carry. If the blade touched the board first, you were SOL.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User smcfalls13's Avatar
    I believe the AKTI definition is the foreward most part of the handle to the tip. Depending on tip placement, that could be shorter or longer than its official length fromt he manufacturer.
    Scott

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    -Sir Winston Churchill-

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    All these different methods of measure remind of all the different ways to hunt snipe.
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

I once heard the blade length limit was intended for measuring how deep can you stab a person = how dangerous the knife can be

However it may be only a rumor.

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huugh
    I once heard the blade length limit was intended for measuring how deep can you stab a person = how dangerous the knife can be

However it may be only a rumor.
    Well since, at least in this country, most knife attacks occur with kitchen knives that are often long enough to pierce the entire torso (usually family on family violence) any limits on pocket knife length is meaningless drivel.
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User PSU's Avatar
    Ok, from the consensus it seems like the correct measurement is the distance from the tip of the blade to the front of the handle. It makes sense.

Now I can measure blade lengths correctly

Thanks for all of the replies!
    People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal