Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mantis Knives

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar

Mantis Knives

I just picked up 4 knives made by a new California Knife Company called Mantis Knives...Two of them are very impressive...Their version of the Karambit is very nicely made and quite funtional....The other had me it is model MF2 a kinda bare bones handle (very handsome,aluminum red inserts into the handle which believe it or not) provide a strong and positive gripping surface, and the blade is like a modified hawkbill of sorts...I tested this blade and the shear cutting power was amazing...I swear I was holding a Ronin in my hands...this could possibily be a nice SD knife for someone looking for a lite-weight fixed blade...the sheath is well made with a built in clip that works great....I am impressed......the price points on all their knives are very affordable for the quality...Doc

check it out here:
    www.mantisknives.com
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Spyderco Forum Registered User jaislandboy's Avatar
    interesting knives doc, but (sorry) I couldn't resist....
    what's with this HOLE?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    brian
    "All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."

Quote Originally Posted by jaislandboy
    what's with this HOLE?
    Yeah! Does look familiar don't you think?....Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Spyderco Forum Registered User Darkfin's Avatar
    There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
    ~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Mastiff's Avatar
    I began mistrusting the company when they began advertising BG42 knives , ZDP 189 knives and S30 knives all well under what you'd expect to pay for just the steel alone ( especially BG42). I've also never heard of BG42 being sent to China to be built into knives and sent back as a knife that cost $30. Something was fishy about it. China does NOT make BG42 as we know.

I have soken to someone that had a cm154 knife that liked it though. Joe
    "A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff
    I began mistrusting the company when they began advertising BG42 knives , ZDP 189 knives and S30 knives all well under what you'd expect to pay for just the steel alone ( especially BG42). I've also never heard of BG42 being sent to China to be built into knives and sent back as a knife that cost $30. Something was fishy about it. China does NOT make BG42 as we know.

I have soken to someone that had a cm154 knife that liked it though. Joe
    Joe the knives I got where made from 420HC....Doc

Spyderco Forum Registered User DAYWALKER's Avatar
    Yo SSifu,

Saw two of those at the local here...however, I have no real need for such a toy. At least not until I know how good they perform via you!!!

God bless and take care
    Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife!

In Constant Motion: www.clbdesign.info

Quote Originally Posted by DAYWALKER
    Yo SSifu,

Saw two of those at the local here...however, I have no real need for such a toy. At least not until I know how good they perform via you!!!

God bless and take care
    Chad, The MF2...so far is testing out to be real performer...something to look at..even if only from a design point of view....Doc

Spyderco Forum Registered User 224477's Avatar
    Glad you are happy with you new toys Doc.

How did you like the kerambits? Did you notice those sharp lines on the handle? I handled them here, nice for a toy, but hte are priced too high here for "user grade steel" 420HC. American prices are fine, though.
    "Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaislandboy
    what's with this HOLE?
    Man that puppy does look like a cross between a Dodo and a W.T. Karambit, with a touch of Adventura thrown in for good measure.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    I wondered about these knives... The MU3 looks appealing to me, with some handle wrap it could be a nice lightweight utility necker, about as bare-boned as you can get. I will think about it a bit...
    ...but no, no, you know it all, it's harmless little bunny...

Spyderco Forum Registered User swingshot's Avatar
    I'm not so sure about that thumb break.......

Spyderco Forum Registered User spyderknut's Avatar
    I happened to be at the same hotel as the Mantis folks at Blade last year. A 50 some year old man with his cologned, bling-wearing 20 some year old son. My 8 year old and I were having breakfast at the table next to them and I tried to strike up a conversation. They were probably the least friendly folks I have yet met at Blade. I was underwhelmed by their mall-ninja offerings they had to show too. I can't say how their knives are to use 'cause I will never buy one after that first impression.
    "There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
    Collector #041

This one is my favorite though. Love the tactical red.

http://mantisknives.com/folding/t5.html

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Yes, I can't understand why they put red on something marketed as tactical . That's why I like the "bare bones" utility thingie.
    ...but no, no, you know it all, it's harmless little bunny...

Some of the fixed blades are pretty unimpressive too, the red standoffs look rather uncomfortable, and there's something that looks like a neck-knife, but it's in a spec-ops (themed) sheath.

Quote Originally Posted by Stenny
    I wondered about these knives... The MU3 looks appealing to me, with some handle wrap it could be a nice lightweight utility necker, about as bare-boned as you can get. I will think about it a bit...
    Stenny, I got one of those MU3's as well They are nicely made (ridiculously low price for what it is )but are not double edged... only one SE edge...as a necker it's ok...they are quite small and harder to hold on to...I wouldn't worry about the red on the tactical knife the red disappears in the hand as soon as you wrap your hand around the handle...the MU3 as a utility knife will work..for SD...just forget about it!!!...Doc

Quote Originally Posted by swingshot
    Some of the fixed blades are pretty unimpressive too, the red standoffs look rather uncomfortable, and there's something that looks like a neck-knife, but it's in a spec-ops (themed) sheath.
    Swing: I thought the same before ordering one and was quite suprised to find out just how comfy they really were and they provide a nice surface for grip and changing thru rapid hand positions....if anything is uncomfortable it is the fact that the blade and handle are thin...substantial enough for holding on to and holding up but some might think it's too thin and a little rough on the hands around the handle edge....Doc

Spyderco Forum Registered User ghostrider's Avatar
    Doc,

Congrats on the new toys.

You'll have to put that Karambit through some tests and let us know how it holds up. I never gave them much more that a passing glance because they looked so... well, cheap. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after putting them through their paces.
    First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller
    Thread for tying tips:
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! - Axlis

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    Doc,

Congrats on the new toys.

You'll have to put that Karambit through some tests and let us know how it holds up. I never gave them much more that a passing glance because they looked so... well, cheap. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after putting them through their paces.
    I haven't done much testing with the Kerambit yet...but I can tell you It is made quite well, and seems it would hold up to some hard use....I wish the blade was a little longer....other than that (and the annoying hole in the blade) it seems solid, the jimping around the handle is very well done and adds a secure grip for proper traditional kerambit techniques.....I don't think there is anything cheap about them...(cept for the price)Doc