Thread: Generations of Delica and Endura

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Generations of Delica and Endura

I know the current Generation is the fourth. I can tell the third generation by the pocket clip. Would someone mind explaining the difference between the first and second generations?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Peter1960's Avatar
    For example: First generation had the molded FRN clip and second generation was the stainless steel. There are a lot more different details, but I guess you can live with these characteristics
    Peter - member of Spydiewiki.com group

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
    Spyderco's company motto

Spyderco Forum Registered User jaislandboy's Avatar
    hmmm....my 1st gen? Delica SE with integrated FRN clip....my 1st clipit......I was under the assumption that it was AUS-8 steel...but i'm not sure.....the blade is unmarked.....
    brian
    "All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."

I had an old Delica that I am fairly sure was a generation 1. It had a molded integral clip that was thinner than other molded clips that I have seen. I believe the steel was G2 if my memory serves me correctly. Did the 2nd generation Delica have the thicker molded clip?
    “If any man says he hates war more than I do, he better have a knife, that's all I have to say”
    -Jack Handy

The 1st generation, with the molded clip actually went through 6 modifications to the mold, but they were minor changes to the clip mostly.

The 2nd generation was the all stainless model.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaislandboy
    hmmm....my 1st gen? Delica SE with integrated FRN clip....my 1st clipit......I was under the assumption that it was AUS-8 steel...but i'm not sure.....the blade is unmarked.....
    Wow that is old. I was under the assumption that the unmarked were all Gin-1/G2 steel....lots of assumption in this thread.

What says the "Oracle of Deacon" or the Austrian Deacon?
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Thank you for clearing that up. I had assumed my Delica with the molded clip was the first generation. But I had never really seen any reference to the second generation.

Spyderco Forum Registered User yablanowitz's Avatar
    As I recall, the unmarked blades are all GIN-1/G2 (two names for the same steel). Later they began marking the blades G2. Still later they went to AUS8 (which is what my first Delica is). I know my old Delica has the wider molded clip, one of my girlfriend's has the narrow clip and is unmarked, one is marked G2 and I think it has the wider clip (but I could be wrong) and the other is a D3.
    I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.

+1 to yab's description. AUS8 was marked as such on the blade. Only Del or End I am aware of that are unmarked were Gin-1 (G-2).