Thread: Anyone see "The Departed" movie? /Spyderco Product Placement.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Darkfin's Avatar

Anyone see "The Departed" movie? /Spyderco Product Placement.

I saw the DVD last night, and while a good movie, I am surprised at all the Oscar hoopla it garnered. I guess it was a slow movie year.

Anyway, did yall see the knife that Matt Damon was wielding in that ally? The holes in it made it look like a Kershaw Whirlwind, but the grind seemed to follow the contour of the blade, where the whirlwind grind is flat across the top. The movie one also seemed more hollow.

Is there a knife that is similar to the whirlwind, but slightly different?

On another note, I would like to see someone in Spyderco employ (*COUGH*RUTH*COUGH* ) spearhead product placement for Spyderco knives in movies and TV shows such as 24, CSI, The Unit, and even Jericho (the FB's) etc. Sal & Co's knives cover so many areas of use, and are so distinctive, that they would fit into almost any show that has a knife in its story. I bet the exposure would boost sales a great deal!

Thoughts?
    There isnít any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
    ~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

Spyderco Forum Registered User ghostrider's Avatar
    I thought it was a Whirlwind. They have a pretty hollow grind, more so than a lot of other hollow grind knives. Didn't notice the contour you mention.
    First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Attributed to Pastor Martin NiemŲller
    Thread for tying tips:
    http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! - Axlis

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=77

Pretty sure that the knife used by Matt Damon was the Kershaw Whirlwind. Good job on the ID Darkfin.

Jack Nicholson used a stiletto to test a bag of dope later in the movie. I couldn't ID it but my guess is a Frank Beltram 11" something or other. Did anyone ID it?

I enjoyed the movie. Everyone was a rat. Unequivocal action throughout, which I like to see on once in a while, as my life is 99% equivocal/compromise. I figure to buy it 2nd hand and add it to my other Walter Mitty vids when the dust settles.

oregon

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    About a year ago a similar thought was discussed. Apparently Spyderco does send out samples when requested for movies. After that was revealed, a host of forum movie producers came forward with numerous requests...not sure if Spyderco took the bait however.
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User OuchThatsSharp's Avatar
    Yes, it looked like a Kershaw Whirlwind to me too.
    It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
    http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145/pkdmslf/Kokopelli.jpg

Zen, as I understand it, there are people who specialize in product placements--think of them as Agents for objects. A company, say GM, hires one of these folks (assuming they don't have an in-house full-timer) who calls his contacts in movie and TV production and they strike a deal. In addition to obviously providing free product, they product company pays some kind of fee, since the placement is essentially permanent advertising.

This gets me to thinking...I can't recall ever seeing ANY advertising for knives, other than ads in Blade magazine. Has anyone ever seen a TV commercial selling knives?
    There isnít any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Pete1977's Avatar
    if you look closely when leonardo dicaprio is packing his things to flee town after he gets a certain phone call, there are some things on a night stand or counter top, money in a money clip, a bottle of pills, etc. there is a knife that appears to be a boker kalashnikov folder or auto. it is hard to tell since the button side is down when the knife is laying on the table. IIRC they are the knife that was sold in an AK-47 magazine shaped tin. its a quick shot and you have to look closely.

more departed knife content

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkfin
    Zen, as I understand it, there are people who specialize in product placements--think of them as Agents for objects. A company, say GM, hires one of these folks (assuming they don't have an in-house full-timer) who calls his contacts in movie and TV production and they strike a deal. In addition to obviously providing free product, they product company pays some kind of fee, since the placement is essentially permanent advertising.

This gets me to thinking...I can't recall ever seeing ANY advertising for knives, other than ads in Blade magazine. Has anyone ever seen a TV commercial selling knives?
    Yes, lots of kitchen knives. They cut through aluminum cans ya know.
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Obviously I was speaking about knives relevant to our current discussion.
    Besides, Ginsus aren't knives, they are

Spyderco Forum Registered User Hannibal Lecter's Avatar

Talking Lol!

My Dear Zen,

Quote Originally Posted by zenheretic
    Yes, lots of kitchen knives. They cut through aluminum cans ya know.
    (In obnoxiously loud, irritating, announcer voice...)

And can still slice through a tomato like THIS!

Sorry - couldn't resist...

--------
    Hannibal
    ---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."