Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Axe???

Spyderco Forum Registered User kbuzbee's Avatar

Best Axe???

What is your favorite axe??? I have a few, nothing great. My favorite right now is a wood handled red headed axe from Sears.

Usage matters of course and a hunter will choose something completely different than a logger. My use is mainly trees. Not so much felling them but cleaning up the mess when wind & lightening do their thing. Typical sizes range from 3" - 15" (but might be up to 36" ). We have several trees well over 200' tall. Mostly yellow poplar that tend to break off 1/2 way up rather than having their root ball torn from the ground.

My current axe is fine but I'm sure a better one would make shorter work of things. I do own a small chainsaw but there is something more satisfying about the thwack of an axe .

Recommendations??

Ken
    玉鋼

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Gransfors Bruks is kinda the gold standard of axes. Light, well-balanced, they are wonderful tools.

For 'beaters', I have a couple Gerber axes that are very durable and take an edge well.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zac's Avatar
    Lutherville, Maryland, USA, Earth, Solar System
    The ATC makes a pretty badass blade.
    ATC is American Tomahawk Company.
    WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User denn's Avatar
    the Scandinavian stuff is by far THE best when it coms to axes: Gransfors Bruks and Wetterling are awesome value for money

personally i prefer my leather-handle one-piece steel Estwing though, just cause it fits me like a glove and is strong as heck, not to mention hair-poppin'sharp and affordable

it throws nice too

Spyderco Forum Registered User mike biz's Avatar
    I did a lot of research on this subject before buying my last few axes. I've had a few crappy no-namers over the years that are more like hitting a log with a baseball bat than an axe. I highly recommend Gransfors as well. They are arguably the best axe you can buy for the money. I heard one person on the internet say that it is rare when you can buy the best in the world for such a low price. I agree. I own the Wildlife Hatchet which is a great little splitter for kindling and limbing small trees. I also have the Large Splitting Axe which is a gem on small to medium sized rounds. I recently added two splitting wedges for those tougher large rounds. You won't be disappointed.

mike biz
    "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy." -- Clint Eastwood as The Outlaw Josey Wales

"Some people call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade." -- Billy Bob Thornton as Karl Childers

I'd been reading up on the Gransfors, they sound great. Glad to hear folks real world experience verifies.... Anyone have a good source for these? I was looking at the double bevel 1900 broad axe.

EDIT - Now more looking at the 35" double bit felling axe. The handle of the 1900 is only 20"

Thanks everyone,

Ken
    Last edited by kbuzbee; 12-07-2006 at 02:35 PM.
    玉鋼

Quote Originally Posted by Zac
    Zac, those look more like weapons than tree killers... They look very cool though. Thanks!

Ken
    玉鋼

I don't know, I've always been partial to
    Gibsons, Peavey's, and Epiphone myself.
    Thanks, Terry

There are no Tactical Knives, just Tactical Minds.
    ( Fred Perrin)

Ken, you're right, the ATCs will not hold a candle to GB for strictly woodworking. Different design criteria.

Spyderco Forum Registered User rolyat1978's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac
    ^This guy knows his stuff...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

it may not be stylish... but I have a fairly inexpensive gerber with a synthetic haft that has served me pretty well on backpacking trips, its light, durable and effective. It had a FB knife that fit into the handle that didn't perform quite as well... but the axe, the axe has been just great.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Trahan
    I don't know, I've always been partial to
    Gibsons, Peavey's, and Epiphone myself.
    Hey Terry,
    I'll take a Fender Strat...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Hey Terry,
    I'll take a Fender Strat...
    Aren't they tough to sharpen??? I like my axe to be shaving sharp.

Ken
    玉鋼

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    it may not be stylish... but I have a fairly inexpensive gerber with a synthetic haft that has served me pretty well on backpacking trips, its light, durable and effective. It had a FB knife that fit into the handle that didn't perform quite as well... but the axe, the axe has been just great.
    As a pack hatchet I'd agree but what I'm looking for is something larger for felling and limbing.

EDIT - or is yours larger? I've only seen the smaller size.

Thanks

Ken
    玉鋼

Arrow Axes in General

I have heard good stuff about Granfors Bruks. I have no doubt that they are the creme de le creme.

About 4 years ago Tactical Knives magazine did a great article on axes. AS a result I contacted the US Forest Service and got a book entitled "AN AX TO GRIND" A practical Ax Manual by Bernie Weisgerber. Unfortunately that book is no longer available in hard copy but you can still get it in PDF file.

There was also a 2 volume set of videos by the same title. I got mine in VHS but I hear that they are available in DVD now. It really kind of surprised me when Bernie Weisgerber said that his favorite ax was one that you can get in True Value Hardwares throughout the USA.

I have an older double bit ax that was my dad's and I have had to replace the handle in it. But let me tell you it is a well balanced tool. There are getting to be fewer and fewer ax manufacturers anymore. But I say with Preparedness Survival becoming an important element I would say that a good quality ax should be in anyone's survival kit.
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Ken, my biggest Gerber is the Camp axe but they make a 28" model that is likely just as functional as the smaller models... that said, in my mind it would be worth the extra $25- or so to upgrade to a Gransfors axe if you are serious about chopping some wood.

JD, I have read through "An Axe to Grind" (available here) but have not seen the videos--what is Bernie's favorite axe? I wouldn't mind a new toy to play with this winter....

anyone here know the general consensus on Estwing's axes quality? i've got a Sprtsman's Axe e24a, but i don't hear much about it on forums, but it looks and handles real cool and takes a keen edge, like an Opinel

anyone opinion opinion on Estwing-quality?

denn

denn: most are junk if you care about good performance, if you compare against something like G-B

Unhappy

really?! ouch!