Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling All Cooks!

Spyderco Forum Registered User SeanH's Avatar

Exclamation Calling All Cooks!

We are in the process of collecting our favorite recipes into the Spyderco Forum Cookbook.

It was all started by psimonl when he asked “What is your fastest favorite recipe?”

Well now we would like all the rest of your great food ideas. Any kind. Simple or fancy. Serves one or an army. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, BBQ, drinks or desert.

Bring 'em on!

Share your favorite gastric creations with the rest of the family and be immortalized in one of the great books of all time! (OK that was over the top, but you get the idea)

Every few days I'll collect them from this thread and add them to the Spyderco Forum Cookbook.

You can find the current version of the cookbook at the link below.
    The Spyderco Forum Cookbook

The cookbook is in PDF format and the filename will remain unchanged as I add new recipes. To check the version against your local copy, look at the date on the bottom of any page.

Did I mention that you can print it out for use in the kitchen?
    ================================================== =====

Current revision info:
    Last edit date = 2/4/07
    Number of pages = 32

================================================== =====
    Last edited by SeanH; 02-04-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Th232's Avatar

Bacon Hash Brown Bake

Bit of prep time, but very nice when it comes out.

Ingredients
    4 cups grated cooked potatoes
    12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
    cup milk
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    teaspoon salt
    teaspoon pepper
    teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    teaspoon paprika

Method
    1. Combine potatoes, bacon, milk, onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a bowl.
    2. Transfer to a greased 9-inch pie plate or a baking-paper lined tray.
    3. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
    4. Bake at 180 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned

Additional Notes:
    Cheese may be sprinkled on top of the hash browns once they are baking, but do not mix cheese with mix, as cheese will stick to foil.

All ingredients are mere guidelines, if you're feeling carnivorous, add more bacon, worried about vampires, add more garlic powder.

Spyderco Forum Registered User uhiforgot's Avatar

Thumbs up DAYWALKER's Hawaiian Chicken!!!

Just wanted to get this out ASAP. Tried DAYWALKER's chicken recipe from the cookbook, and it looks as though 3 pounds of chicken drumsticks are going to disappear without much attention to the side dishes simplist recipe I've done in a LONG time, and also one of the tastiest! (will post pictures later!)

THANKS FOR THE GREAT RECIPE, CHAD! If you got more recipes like that, PLEASE POST THEM!

-Jeff
    I'd like an order of BUTTER with extra BUTTER and a side of BUTTER!

"To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is the Art of Peace."
    -Morihei Ueshiba

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.

Quote Originally Posted by Th232
    Bit of prep time, but very nice when it comes out.

Ingredients
    4 cups grated cooked potatoes
    12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
    cup milk
    1/3 cup chopped onion
    teaspoon salt
    teaspoon pepper
    teaspoon garlic powder
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    teaspoon paprika

Method
    1. Combine potatoes, bacon, milk, onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a bowl.
    2. Transfer to a greased 9-inch pie plate or a baking-paper lined tray.
    3. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle lightly with paprika.
    4. Bake at 180 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned

Additional Notes:
    Cheese may be sprinkled on top of the hash browns once they are baking, but do not mix cheese with mix, as cheese will stick to foil.

All ingredients are mere guidelines, if you're feeling carnivorous, add more bacon, worried about vampires, add more garlic powder.

Looks delish! Thanks!

Spyderco Forum Registered User tonydahose's Avatar
    Decadent Brownies (taken from the food network channel)

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
    4 large eggs
    2 cups sugar
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted Frosting:
    4 ounces (4 squares) unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup (2 sticks) butter,softened
    1/2 cup pasteurized egg substitute (recommended: Egg Beaters)
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar, sifted
    4 cups mini marshmallows
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Melt the chocolate and butter in a 2-quart bowl in the microwave on high for 3 minutes, stirring every 20 to 30 seconds until the chocolate is completely melted. Add the eggs, sugar, and vanilla and mix well with a spatula. Add the flour and stir to combine. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes. While the brownies are baking, make the frosting. Melt the chocolate and butter in a medium bowl in the microwave on high for 3 minutes stirring every 20 to 30 seconds until the chocolate is completely melted. Add the egg substitute, vanilla, and sugar and stir with a spoon until smooth. Stir in the marshmallows; they will soften but not melt completely. Spread the frosting over the warm brownies. The frosting will set up when the brownies are completely cooled. When cool, cut into 1 1/2-inch squares and store in the refrigerator in a plastic container with a snap-on lid.

Chicken with Rosemary (i forgot where i got this one from)

I hope you can find fresh rosemary for this one. Rosemary grows as
    a shrub here in the Northwest, and I expect that you can get some
    growing in your yard. Try it. If not, use dried.

1 3- to 4-pound chicken, cut up
    3 slices bacon, chopped
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 or 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    cup white wine
    tablespoon dried rosemary or I
    tablespoon fresh rosemary
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    cup chicken broth

Fry the bacon until barely crisp, pour off the fat, and remove the bacon. Add the butter and olive oil to the pan, and brown the chicken pieces. Add salt, pepper, and garlic to the pan when the chicken is almost browned. When it is browned, add the white wine and rosemary to the pan. Add the bacon, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Mix the tomato paste with the chicken broth, and add to the pan. Cover, and cook for about 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.

SERVES 3 OR 4.

Spyderco Forum Registered User psimonl's Avatar

Stuffed potatoes...

Here is another one.

Bake in the oven several potatoes wrapped in aluminium paper. Be sure to puncture with a so they don't explode.

Once baked, cut in half and remove the white inside making sure not to damage the skin.

You now have a plate with little "boats" made out of potato skins and a bowl full of fluffy white potatoes.

In the bowl, put in milk, butter, salt, pepper, sour cream and your favorite herbs. Mix well so you have mashed potatoes.

Then, in the little boats, put in a layer of whatever you like (Cubes of smoked ham, cooked bacon, cooked vegetables like asparagus, mushrooms....), then a layer of grated cheese, a layer of the mashed potatoes and another layer of cheese.

Or mix the mashed potatoes with the filling and top with cheese.

Baked in oven for 5-10 minutes.

Can make a side dish or a light main course.

Make a lot. Freeze them and eat them when you want (30 min. at 375)

Enjoy...
    "Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
    -Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
    -Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook

Spyderco Forum Registered User tomso's Avatar
    Easy made chicken breast with mushrooms,butter and white vine:

-2 chicken breasts(200g each)
    -250g of mushrooms(any kind)
    -big glass of white vine
    -3 big table spoons of butter
    -thyme springs

Preheat the oven to 220C/425F

Mix all ingredients (including chicken) in a bowl.Tear off a piece of kitchen foil 2 times as long as the chicken,place everything from the bowl in the middle of the foil,fold it over and seal the three edges, being careful not to pierce the foil as this will let the juices escape.Place the foil in the pot .First put the pot on high heat for a minute, so it heats and the foil rises,then cook in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.Serve with potatoes (mash,cooked,...)

Salmon fillet in wasabi sauce:

-4 onions, chopped
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    -1 handful of parsley, finely chopped
    -600g of salmon fillets without skin(about 8 pieces)
    -3 spoons of oil
    -salt,pepper
    -4 spoons of creme fraiche
    -6 spoons of orange juice
    -2 spoons of lime juice
    -1 to 2 tablespoons of wasabi(or horseradish if you cant get wasabi)

Mix creme fraishe with 1 spoon of orange juice and season with salt and pepper.Heat the oil in the bowl, add salmon and cook stirring for about 6 minutes.Season with salt and pepper.Add garlic and onions and cook for another minute.Finely poor the rest of orange and lemon juice,add another 100ml of water, add wasabi and parsley and season the sauce with salt and pepper.Give each person 2 salmons with sauce and place some orange creme you made in the beginning on the salmon.Serve with rice.Believe me,its good.

Desert: Creme Caramel

Creme Caramel

-1 vanilla pod
    -120g of sugar
    -500ml of milk
    -3 eggs
    -3 egg yolks
    -small amount of salt

Preheat the oven to 150C\275F.
    Butter the insides of 4 ovenproof coups.Score down the length of the vanilla pod and remove the seeds by scraping a knife down the inside of each half.Put the pot on heat,pour 70g of sugar until it (while moving the pan) is evenly caramelized (becomes golden brown...caution, it is very hot).Pour the caramel in 4 coups until they are half fool.
    Boil the milk,vanilla pod and vanilla seeds.Whisk up the eggs,yolks,50g of sugar and small amount of salt.Remove vanilla pod from vanilla milk...and slowly while mixing, add vanilla milk to the egg mix.Pour the vanilla mix in those 4 coups until they are full and place them in a big pan.Pan should have water in it so it reaches half of the coups.Place the pan in the oven and cook for 60 minutes.Let the creme cool down before serving.

Thumbs up

before this is over, I am going to be a very fat man.
    >>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
    Sal Glesser

Spyderco Forum Registered User Capt. Carl's Avatar
    Guacamole

Makes a nice serving that will accomodate 2 people's meals.

Change any of the amounts to your taste. Making guacamole isn't rocket science.

2 Avocados
    1/4 red onion
    1 tomato (or 3 of those small patio tomatoes)
    1 jalepeno
    cilantro
    sqeeze some fresh lime juice in there
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1/4 tsp cumin
    1/4 tsp cayanne pepper powder
    salt to taste

you can change the spice amounts if you want. I usually add more chili powder.

smash and mix with a knife or fork until desired consistency is gained.

You win! Enjoy!

P.S.: A trick to keeping the guacamole fresh in the refridgerator is to put plastic wrap over the dip, and push the plastic wrap down so it is touching the guacamole itself.
    Last edited by Capt. Carl; 08-26-2006 at 11:35 AM.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Dr. Snubnose's Avatar
    I got to start going to bed earlier!....I read the thread title as "Calling all Crooks" ....Doc
    "Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Snubnose
    I got to start going to bed earlier!....I read the thread title as "Calling all Crooks" ....Doc
    well if they have a recipe to share...

BTW, I'll be putting all the new recipes into the latest version of the cookbook tomorrow afternoon and posting the result.

Sean

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
    Sal Glesser

Spyderco Forum Registered User uhiforgot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanH
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Snubnose
    well if they have a recipe to share...
    Just be sure to avoid recipes involving cyanide and/or pesticides

-Jeff
    I'd like an order of BUTTER with extra BUTTER and a side of BUTTER!

"To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is the Art of Peace."
    -Morihei Ueshiba

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.

Spyderco Forum Registered User TheKnifeCollector's Avatar

Smile

I make a fantastic roast chicken!! I disect away the skin, and sink fresh garlic cloves in stategic places, and in the cavaity of course. I butter the skin, put salt & pepper on the skin as well. In the same roasting pan, I put baby carrots, baby red potatos, or I cut up big red potatos, and whole mushrooms. I put fresh rosemary & thyme on the veggies, as well, as a little butter, and I lightly spray the veggies with oil. Then roast the whole thing.

With the chicken carcass, I make a wonderful chicken soup. I put the carcass in a crock pot, along with a whole onion, and water, then slow cook it over night. All the meat just falls off it. The next day, I fish out all the bones, cartilege etc. out. I use a collander and drain & collect the liquid from the carcass cooking overnite. I use that for my base. I cut up the chicken, meat, cut up carrots, celery, and the onion that had been cooking overnite. I add a little bit of rice. I slow cook that until the veggies are tender. And there you go, a nice chicken soup.
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Spyderco Forum Registered User vampyrewolf's Avatar
    Just made another batch of curry chicken tonight for supper, my grandfather told me it's a lot better than the stuff he had at the east indian pavillian last week(folk fest)

*Chunk up a LARGE white onion, get it frying... leave it to get caramelized... just salt, fresh cracked pepper and cumin on it.
    *1 chicken breast per serving, sliced into 1/8" thick slices(can cut them up finer still if you want smaller bites). Sprinkle curry powder, cumin, frank's red hot, sweet basil and dill to taste.

Just keep stirring until the chicken is cooked, you'll have juice for a sauce if you want. Depending on how far you went with the Frank's, you'll have anything from 'tasty' to 'hot damn' for comments. I like enough that I sweat.
    Coffee before Conciousness
    Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
    Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.

The new revision of the cookbook was delayed by a baseball game and a kayak...

Saturday, I spent the morning on a lake over-working my shoulders and renewing some blisters, then went to a game. Well that ment I had to do all my weekend stuff on Sunday.

So the cookbook work got delayed. I should have it out today.

Sal Glesser

New version available

There is a new version of the cookbook available at http://www.craftgeeks.com/forum-file...umCookbook.pdf

It has some really great new entries in it!

Sal Glesser

Spyderco Forum Registered User bpfsu's Avatar
    Quick Chili:

1 lb. Ground Beef - Browned

To it add:

16oz. jar of a good chunky salsa (your desired heat level)
    1.5 cups water
    1 Chili seasoning packet such as McCormicks (your desired heat level)
    1 can Light Red Kidney beans (mostly drained)
    1 can pinto beans (mostly drained)

Mix all together and bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for at least 10 minutes.

Good and fast!

BP

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Sangria, it'll go well with any number of the tasty main dishes presented so far.

1/2 apple, cored, sliced, and chopped.
    1/2 orange, quartered and sliced

1 bottle good, inexpensive red wine (I prefer a Cabernet)
    2/3 cup brandy

6 Tbs sugar
    dash ground cinnamon

Mix, chill, enjoy.

Uhm, better make sure you don't have to drive, and, no flicking those knives.
    EarthDog