Thread: Aluminum Oxide vs Silicon Carbide

Spyderco Forum Registered User jerseybounce_42's Avatar

Aluminum Oxide vs Silicon Carbide

Anyone have any thoughts on the relative merits, appropriate uses and techniques for the use of aluminum oxide versus silicon carbide abrasives? In paste form I seem to have had better success with grease based silicon oxide. I believe many of Spydercos sharpeners are aluminum oxide based?

For less aggressive work is Flitz useful?

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Arrow Yes>>> NO & yes

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybounce_42
    Anyone have any thoughts on the relative merits, appropriate uses and techniques for the use of aluminum oxide versus silicon carbide abrasives? In paste form I seem to have had better success with grease based silicon oxide. I believe many of Spydercos sharpeners are aluminum oxide based?

For less aggressive work is Flitz useful?
    According to a machinist's textbook I have it claims that Silicon Carbide is rated as the sharpest and hardest of all of the synthetic abrasives. As far as the ceramic stones on the 204 Sharpmaker I don't think that those stones are made from Aluminum Oxide per se. From what material I have on them it says that they are made from a high Alumina ceramic which is a whole different animal all together. I am certain that the ceramic is much harder that Aluminum Oxide or Silicon Carbide on the Moh's Scale of hardness.

Flitz is great stuff if you don't need an abrasive cleaner. Flitz has other products that are great. Their polishing cloth is fantastic and so is their metal wax. Hope that helps
    Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!

Spyderco Forum Registered User Stuart Ackerman's Avatar
    BTW....Al Ox in wet and dry paper cuts less aggressively than Sil Ox, but lasts longer, and of course, Sil Ox cuts very well, but for a short time...

Spyderco Forum Registered User jerseybounce_42's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Spydo
    According to a machinist's textbook I have it claims that Silicon Carbide is rated as the sharpest and hardest of all of the synthetic abrasives. As far as the ceramic stones on the 204 Sharpmaker I don't think that those stones are made from Aluminum Oxide per se. From what material I have on them it says that they are made from a high Alumina ceramic which is a whole different animal all together. I am certain that the ceramic is much harder that Aluminum Oxide or Silicon Carbide on the Moh's Scale of hardness.
    Flitz is great stuff if you don't need an abrasive cleaner. Flitz has other products that are great. Their polishing cloth is fantastic and so is their metal wax. Hope that helps
    Thanks for th input.
    For the ceramic to be harder than the silicon carbide that is rated by the machinist's handbook as the hardest of all synthetic abrasives is a bit of a puzzlement.

I know Flitz indicates that their blue goo is nonabrasive but the metallic residue that can accumulate on cotton & linen polishing pads seems to indicate that it is ever so mildly abrasive.