Thread: S30V hardness

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar

S30V hardness

What hardness does Spyderco leave the S30V blades?
    Please forgive me, I am sure this has been asked before. My purpose is to understand why some S30V blade's edge "folds over" with seemingly moderate use.

After Hurricane Rita I had access to only one knife, "another brand" it had an S30V blade, I used it, but not too hard. I had the "fold over" problem. Later that same knife with moderate use, I had the same problem.

My Spydercos don't seem to do that. I have abused my Para and Native S30V's more so than the "un-named brand".

Can the hardness cause such a problem?

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Spyderco's S30V hardness is HRC 59/60.

Franco
    Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands

Spyderco Forum Registered User uhiforgot's Avatar
    My S30V Natives have kept the best edge of any in my army of 's, but I know that Spyderco has REALLY tight quality control with respect to blade hardness. Now I am no steel junkie, but from what I know even a great steel like S30V can be soft if it's not tempered properly. The composition of the steel can only do so much for the knife itself and after that it's up to the knife maker to make sure it's tempered to reach its correct level of hardness without making it too brittle or too soft.

-Jeff
    I'd like an order of BUTTER with extra BUTTER and a side of BUTTER!

"To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is the Art of Peace."
    -Morihei Ueshiba

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.

Spyderco Forum Registered User gull wing's Avatar
    Thank you. That is about the hardness of my brand X knife as advertised.
    The two blades do not act the same, brand X "seems" to be a little softer, it certainly sharpens easier. Quality control could be a factor.
    The knife is ok, but this proves, not all S30V is equal.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Piet.S's Avatar
    Quite often the heat treat is more important than the steel itself. Many tend to compare knives by the number or name of the steel, like 440-C is better then AUS-8. That is rather easy if you look at a steel chart and yes a good steel is important.
    But it's the heat treat that makes it a superior knife or a mediocre one.

Spyderco Forum Registered User d.g.g's Avatar
    I'll second Piet's reply. I think the most important thing when buying any knife is to be sure it comes from a real knife company. This company doesn't want a bad reputation and knows how to heat treat and grind steel and put the blade together with a handle that result in a comfortable using knife that stays sharp a long time. Spyderco obviously qualifies.