Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Native Design/Variation

Spyderco Forum Registered User uhiforgot's Avatar

Lightbulb Native Design/Variation

I recently picked up a CE/FRN Native as my EDC knife, and thus far it has been the best knife I have ever owned! Even had 6 spyderco's before this, and it is still the most natural to open and close, the most comfortable to hold and use, and most practical EDC I've ever used.

There was the great debate in choosing FRN over SS, though: Stainless has the weight, balance, and durability I like in a folder, but lacks the surface texture found on the FRN which is really helpful in maintaining one's grip on the knife, and the black color is much more low profile for pocket carry (i.e. not scare customers/other people).

There is only one way I can think of getting the best of both worlds: A Native done in G-10. It's a knife that everybody [that's ever held one] loves done in one of the most durable and grippable handle materials Spyderco uses!!! I've seen G-10 variations done in the Police model, Harpy, and a bunch of other popular blades, why not the Native??
    I'd like an order of BUTTER with extra BUTTER and a side of BUTTER!

"To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is the Art of Peace."
    -Morihei Ueshiba

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Axlis's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums! The Native is a good feeling knife, I just got one yesterday . There was a forum knife Native made in blue G-10, but none other I don't think.

Spyderco Forum Registered User zenheretic's Avatar
    Welcome to the forums...what is your name again...UhIforgot...
    The native is one of the more popular designs (it seems based on forum feedback) maybe if the Native sells well with Walmart, an upscale G-10 version would be released. However there is the risk that to many versions of the same/similar model will drown that line with too many options making one or more versions drop below the invisible line of profitability. Good idea though.
    Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Spyderco Forum Registered User The Deacon's Avatar
    Well, between the blue G10 with the Forum markings, the "unmarked" blue G10 ones, and the black G10 with the "shell" inlay, there are a few out there. Last couple I saw up for grabs went for around $125. Have a hunch the street price for a new run of G10 Natives would be close to that. So, uhiforgot, if you keep your eye on the BladeForums Exchange, KnifeForums Trading forums, and the Spyderco listings on eBay, with a bit of patience and a bit of luck you may be able to satisfy your desire to own one.
    Paul
    My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
    Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
    WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Spyderco Forum Registered User uhiforgot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zenheretic
    Welcome to the forums...what is your name again...UhIforgot...
    The native is one of the more popular designs (it seems based on forum feedback) maybe if the Native sells well with Walmart, an upscale G-10 version would be released. However there is the risk that to many versions of the same/similar model will drown that line with too many options making one or more versions drop below the invisible line of profitability. Good idea though.
    Marketing point well taken, but at the same time, that didn't stop Spyderco from making relatively short (not necessarily "limited") runs of other popular knives in black G-10 in the past. There will ALWAYS be a market for the classic FRN models because not everyone wants to shell out $160 or more for an EDC. But the concern here is for the stainless version... addressed in a moment.

Also, I can see using Wal-Mart sales as a feeler for what will sell, but I think only a standard production run of Black G-10 Natives will REALLY show how well they will do, maybe even putting G-10 in place of the stainless handle (with a S30V blade, of course) just to see what kind of response there is. At worst, sales will have a slow start, but if they are discontinued they will disappear like crazy especially among the collectors and forum junkies whether they are discounted or not. My only [selfish] hope is that I'd be able to get my hands on 3 or 4 before they run out.

My hat's off to the collectors that discuss on forums like this and make it possible for Spyderco to come up with new ideas for new designs and stuff, and many great knives (such as the Native) have come out of such discussions, but the only G-10 Natives available are ones that I wouldn't want to take out on a construction site for fear of destroying one of only a few ever made. I have used Spyderco for 9 years now, and each and every one of my Spyderco's has been to hell and back, used hard, and done damn well, but each knife has its own weakness in one way or another.

Thus, I do not speak on behalf of collectors, I speak on behalf of those who use their knives like crazy, want the best and toughest knife money can buy, and don't want a limited production number stamped on the blade. A knife is a tool, and I will use it as such. But a tool must keep up with its user.

Marketing aside, it is time for this to happen; it is time to have a production G-10 Native. My only hope is to be heard by Sal sooner or later.

Sorry folks, not trying to be an a**, just very tired and very hung up on this idea. Need to sleep. Need to work tomorrow... er, today.

-Jeff
    Last edited by uhiforgot; 12-28-2005 at 02:22 AM.
    I'd like an order of BUTTER with extra BUTTER and a side of BUTTER!

"To injure an opponent is to injure yourself. To control aggression without inflicting injury is the Art of Peace."
    -Morihei Ueshiba

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Zwaplat's Avatar
    You're actually being a bit contradictory, uhiforgot. The point with limited runs (made with special materials) is, that they're mostly upgrades of their original version. If you use one of those knives, make them go to hell and back again, they will *look* like they've been to hell and back again. But every time you say 'I need a knife' it will rise up proudly and say 'Here I am, please beat the crap out of me again'.

That's the nice thing about Spyders. They last forever minus a few days, as long as you use them as a knife.

Spyderco Forum Registered User boxer93's Avatar
    uhiforgot,
    welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your stay. If you do acquire a G10 Native I'd say use it. My son has one of the BFC ones that he has been using for a couple of years now. He broke a couple of mm off the tip and sent it back for a regrind. I even had him try a few others to see if he liked anything else. That native is still clipped to his shorts.
    I personally would love to see the G10 Native return. But then I can't guarantee to sell 1200 of 'em
    Chris
    Be Excellent to each other. Chris' Q page
    WTC #242, #2223, #2225

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Jeff,

It's not impossible.

We also have a black G-10 - 4" blade model (one only).

If the sales on the Native increase sufficiently due to the Wal-Mart sales, a G-10 version or even a CF version could be fun.

We are currently working on a "Sprint" run of gray FRN Natives with CPM-S125V blade.

We'll see what happens. The market controls the market.

sal

-------------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!

Spyderco Forum Registered User ront's Avatar
    "We are currently working on a "Sprint" run of gray FRN Natives with CPM-S125V blade".
    Now that sounds good. I wish it had a G-10 handle as well, but still sounds good.

Ron

Spyderco Forum Registered User catamount's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sal
    We also have a black G-10 - 4" blade model (one only).
    Sal,

are you saying you have a 4" blade version of the Native, with black G-10 scales, in the works
    Tom

http://spydercovt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sequimite View Post
    I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
    Junior avatar courtesy of dialex

Sorry Tom, guess I should have provided more info. We made a sample several years ago to show at shows for reaction. It is currently in a display in our store/museum.

However, if the demand for Native grows, it would be practical to make G-10 versions and a larger (& smaller?) variation.

sal

Spyderco Forum Registered User markg's Avatar

I
    We are currently working on a "Sprint" run of gray FRN Natives with CPM-S125V blade.

sal
    Oh, put me down for one of those... I love that gray FRN...

Would that be a "Native" or "Native 3" We would be seeing?

Spyderco Forum Registered User Chris_H's Avatar
    I believe it'll be a Golden "Native" since it is using one of Crucible's latest steels (equiv. to Hitachi ZDP-189[?]). The "Native III" is a Seki City model.
    "All your are belong to us."
    ** WTC # 1032 1533 **

Spyderco Forum Registered User dialex's Avatar
    We also have a black G-10 - 4" blade model (one only)
    So there's where the Native Chief hides away...
    The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.

Cocerning the sprint run of grey Native with a S125V blade: would it not be better to wait the improved Native (with nested skeleton liners, as Sal said in some thread)?
    What I have in mind is the analogy with ZDP Delica - it will appear as improved Delica 4.
    Improved Native with S125V would be really a high end folder.

Franco
    Spyderco: NON MULTA SED MULTUM

My islands

Spyderco Forum Registered User catamount's Avatar
    It is meant to be a test run of S125V, for the steel junkies to evaluate. Doing it in the current model makes it easier to produce, and gets it out there quicker.

ZDP has already proven its worth with the burgundy Calypso.
    Tom

http://spydercovt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sequimite View Post
    I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
    Junior avatar courtesy of dialex

Spyderco Forum Registered User UK KEN's Avatar

Thumbs up Happy days!

Hello All

It truely warms my heart to see (once again!) so much interest in my all time favourite. Whether it is produced as a sprint run, a forum knife or for full general release I would be very happy to see a G-10 handled Native. The CF military feel so "grippy" in the hand that I can almost feel the Native with the same CF handle sitting in my paw right now!

As for the 4" Native You all already know how I feel about this one!

Cheers, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by uhiforgot

-Morihei Ueshiba
    Great quote, uhiforgot, and very zen pseud! Welcome!
    EarthDog

Spyderco Forum Registered User Slvgx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco G
    Cocerning the sprint run of grey Native with a S125V blade: would it not be better to wait the improved Native (with nested skeleton liners, as Sal said in some thread)?
    What I have in mind is the analogy with ZDP Delica - it will appear as improved Delica 4.
    Improved Native with S125V would be really a high end folder.

Franco
    I agree.

I'd also like to see grey G-10 with the new BBL. Without those I'd still be happy, but I am allowed to dream.
    Last edited by Slvgx; 12-29-2005 at 05:59 PM.
    ASA NISI MASA

It's too far off to wait.

sal