Thread: H1 Question

Spyderco Forum Registered User catamount's Avatar

H1 Question

I have been thinking that H1 would be a great steel for a new version of the big Calypso. However, I am wondering if H1 would take, and hold, the acute edge the Calypsos are known for?
    Tom

http://spydercovt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sequimite View Post
    I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
    Junior avatar courtesy of dialex

Spyderco Forum Registered User TheKnifeCollector's Avatar

Thumbs up

Hmmmmm, NOW that would be cool!! dare I say it, that that would be the perfect knife?? Hmmmmm.

Spyderco Forum Registered User sgp_knifenut's Avatar

H1 Properties

I've wondered what cryo treatment would do to H1.

Anyone out there who can answer my question? Sal?
    Tom

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.

Spyderco Forum Registered User STR's Avatar
    I don't see why Spyderco doesn't just use H1 as the default steel for anything they make with a full Spyderedge regardless of model. Serrating the S30V or VG10 and other steels seems a bit of a waste to me because serrations cut even if the steel is just a simple 400 series bottom of the barrel steel so I fail to see how it maximizes the steels capability on a serrated knife. H1 holds its own with any other steel when serrated and the rust proof nature just makes it that much more appealing to me.

I have cheapo Cold Steel Ready Edge and kitchen knives of 400 series steel and they keep up with anything I have in the way of serrated premium steel blades. In a blind test I can't tell a difference between the performance of my old GIN1 Delica w/Spyderedge to these cheapo blades. Am I alone in this? Serrations could be done on anything and take the knife up a notch I think.

STR
    It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog

Thanks STR. What you say in regard to SE makes some sense. I guess my question is specific to PE, as that is the way I, and I think most people, would want a new big Calypso.
    Tom

Spyderco Forum Registered User STR's Avatar
    Yeah, I mis read your post. After re-reading it I don't know how I got off on the serrations rant. Senior moment What can I say? I haven't had my morning tea yet.

Anyway, H1 is a great steel but seems to be better in serrated to me. The plain edge seems to be somewhere between AUS6 and AUS10 performance and not up there with the VG10 or S30V blade steel. Some don't even think it reaches the AUS6 level of performance but in my experience it seems to be every bit as good in plain edge as any AUS8A blade I have in my collection.
    It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by STR
    Anyway, H1 is a great steel but seems to be better in serrated to me. The plain edge seems to be somewhere between AUS6 and AUS10 performance and not up there with the VG10 or S30V blade steel. Some don't even think it reaches the AUS6 level of performance but in my experience it seems to be every bit as good in plain edge as any AUS8A blade I have in my collection.
    The thought of a Calypso in H1 seemed like a good one at first, but if H1 in PE is a step down from VG-10, then I think not The big Calypso deserves a "cutting edge" steel. Guess I'll have to jump on the ZDP bandwagon (or maybe S125V)
    Tom

Spyderco Forum Registered User
    Hi Catamount,

I think that H-1 is a great steel for Corrosion environments. Generally, I think it's a good steel for general purpose use.

I don't think I would use it for a "default" steel though.

If we were to do another full sized Calypso, I would re-design the model. I've learned quite a bit since the original Calypso was designed. With so many other designs in the works, it will be a while before I can get to it.

I would probably go with a ZDP version and a VG-10 version like the new Caly.

sal

Thanks Sal. Hope you have great Christmas
    Tom