Thread: Stupid SS ATR Question

Spyderco Forum Registered User

Question Stupid SS ATR Question

Today I received a new SS ATR. I'd been waiting quite a while for this knife, because UPS lost the first package the seller attempted to send me. I really like the knife, but I have one question:

Why is there a screw on the inside of the lock bar? If you look at the pictures on the Spyderco site, you'll see a screw hole in the middle of the lock bar. When I look between the handle slabs, there's a seemingly unnecessary screw occupying this hole on the inside of the lock bar. What's the purpose of this screw? Spyderco went to the time and effort of putting it in during the manufacturing process, so it must have some value. Anybody got any clues on this one?

(This may have been covered before, but you can't search on "ATR". It tells you that the search term is too short.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Spyderco Forum Registered User Woody's Avatar
    Wuss, I tell my Employees all the time there is no such thing as a dumb question... Now with that said, I had to go look at my ATR.... Got me wondering also... Someone will chime in here and let us know... Good question.......
    Easer to ask for forgiveness than permissionů.

Spyderco Forum Registered User rycen's Avatar
    It is to keep the lock bar from being over extended when released.

Whoa! So it's kind of like the lock bar stabilizer developed by Rick Hinderer? And I found some pictures of the Ti version, and it looks like it doesn't have this screw. Is that because Ti has a better spring memory than steel, so the Ti version doesn't really need it?

Thanks for the info...

Spyderco Forum Registered User Mr Blonde's Avatar
    No, the Ti versions also have this lock-stabilizer screw.

Wouter

Last update: 03-21-2014 - WTC 2507 - Twitter

Hi Wuss,

All of the ATR's have had this feature since we began making them. On the Ti version, it's pressed into the spring from the inside.

We would use this on any integral Compression lock.

sal